Tytera MD-380 Versus Powerwerx Tera TR-7400 DMR Portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrath

From what I have read about the 380 and 390 many of them have a bad frequency deviation either above or below the specified frequency and Tytera denies there is a problem with them . I have not heard anything about the 7400 yet though,

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For $280 why not just pick up a gently used Motorola or Hytera? Then you know you are getting a quality piece that will be supported.

CanesFan95

And isn't there an issue where Motorolas only let you program UHF frequencies ending in multiples of .125 but not .25?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
And isn't there an issue where Motorolas only let you program UHF frequencies ending in multiples of .125 but not .25?

No, but there is an issue of narrow-band (12.5kHz) versus wide-band (25kHz). To (re)enable wide-band, you must obtain the EID from Motorola (free, but fiddly to obtain).

CanesFan95

No, but there is an issue of narrow-band (12.5kHz) versus wide-band (25kHz). To (re)enable wide-band, you must obtain the EID from Motorola (free, but fiddly to obtain).

See, that's what I mean. Motorola always has to do something stupid to make it hard to use their products. This whole 25 versus 12.5 thing is a complete artificial limitation. Crap like that is why I'm reluctant to buy their stuff. Why does Motorola have to be like that? Why can't they just be nicer?

And most of the XPR7550s I see for sale are running a good $500 - $800. Another problem is knowing if you're buying the right version cos of all the flashcodes and firmwares. Even the programming cables alone are expensive.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
This whole 25 versus 12.5 thing is a complete artificial limitation.
Actually, far from being "artificial" it is an FCC requirement that all new equipment sold must restrict bandwidth to narrow-band 12.5kHz only, and not allow for ordinary end users to switch it to wide-band easily.

Motorola has achieved this by only allowing those with a User Account to take an on-line "course" (which frankly is about 10 minutes) where the restrictions for wide-band entitlement are explained. After completion of the "course" one then has to jump through the next hoop where Mother M can take note that one has completed the "course" (and thus relieve Mother M from any further responsibility and/or liability), and a link to download the EID is provided.

I would note at this point that anyone reasonably competent with a hex-editor can flip the single bit in the binary file and enable WB themselves, so the whole procedure seems a bit pointless... :roll:

CanesFan95

What is an "EID"? And when you say "reasonably competent with a hex-editor", does that mean I have to be a software programmer to make it work?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
What is an "EID"? And when you say "reasonably competent with a hex-editor", does that mean I have to be a software programmer to make it work?
Google can be your best friend, but you've got to use it to receive any value...

https://www.google.com/#q=motorola+EID

EID is the "Entitlement ID" that Motorola provides to unlock normally hidden features in their radio's firmware.

And no, one needn't be a software programmer to make it work. Once you have the EID binary file, you simply drop it into your CSS programming software's folder. Done!

I was simply saying that it's a rather trivial matter to 'flip the bit' in the binary file already present in the CSS programming software's folder to enable the EID, if one is a reasonably competent wielder of a hex-editor.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, while I recognize that the OP is involved in this off-topic discussion of programming Motorola radios, let's get back on topic of the MD-380 vs. TR-7400.

Motorola radio programming really should be in the Motorola forum.

tbailey1712

Having both, I like the TR-7400 better for repeater performance. The screen also seems to just be laid out better. Information doesn't have to scroll around. Still tweaking to get it to stay lit though. My gripe about both is that the screen shuts off and needs a keypress to wake up.

As far as size, the 380 is a winner. The 7400 is quite a bit taller and maybe a touch deeper. It doesn't fit as easily into a jacket pocket.

The 7400 also has an odd SMA jack that doesn't take aftermarket antennas, so I'm stuck with the very long OEM antennas.

On the 380 with custom firmware, I like having full DMR DB details like callsign, name and city/country. Only Callsign/Name fit in the 7400, but it's much easier to update

7400 also has programmable UP and DOWN Zone selects, not just one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.