Oceanside PD bad Comm in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I think it was Thursday evening Oceanside Police Dispatchers were concerned the field officers could not hear each other. I could only hear dispatch, and dispatch was going to call RCS. to get it fixed. I wondered what happened? Officers not being able to talk or hear each other is not good for officer safety. Wonder what caused the glitch?

Last edited by a moderator:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I think it was Thursday evening Oceanside Police Dispatchers were concerned the field officers could not hear each other. I could only hear dispatch, and dispatch was going to call RCS. to get it fixed. I wondered what happened? Officers not being able to talk or hear each other is not good for officer safety. Wonder what caused the glitch?

One of the 10 sites in the simulcast cell was having an issue.

Most Likely Cheap BOFANG Ht Radios.

No. Not at all part of the problem.

PaulNDaOC

I agree repeaters have an officer safety purpose but I don't think it's a critical issue 99.9 percent of the time as long as you have a good dispatcher.

Repeated police coms has not always been the rule, Motorola has been around a lot longer. No worries if you have dispatchers worth their salt.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Now if only they could solve SDFD's overnight dispatches having NO AUDIO, or audio at -35db levels. :)

Paul

disp10

Premium Subscriber
Now if only they could solve SDFD's overnight dispatches having NO AUDIO, or audio at -35db levels. :)

Paul

Only at night? The same position is used day and night for dispatches on City and RCS except for occasional breaks.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It is a very common problem on 7B and 6B Metro fire dispatches overnights. There are times when both spit out simple dead air for dispatches, and most nights their audio level would seem to indicate that they have the mic boom swiveled around the back of their heads. I think it is operator error, perhaps not plugged in correctly? The problem (for the listener) is only for dispatches, never for command or back and forth comms with fire units. It happens regardless of 7B and 6B being simulcast.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
It is a very common problem on 7B and 6B Metro fire dispatches overnights. There are times when both spit out simple dead air for dispatches, and most nights their audio level would seem to indicate that they have the mic boom swiveled around the back of their heads. I think it is operator error, perhaps not plugged in correctly? The problem (for the listener) is only for dispatches, never for command or back and forth comms with fire units. It happens regardless of 7B and 6B being simulcast.

Paul

6B (RCS) and 7B (City) are on completely different systems (including two different types of consoles). It is possible someone has come up with a device to access both consoles simultaneously, in which case I would look at that device as the cause of low / no audio.

Don

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Back in the days when they had an active 24 hour media number to Metro dispatch, I would ring them up to let them know they had no dispatch audio, and the next call would go out loud and clear. That is why I think it is some sort of headset jack operator error. Suffice it to say, if you hear no audio on 7B, any 6B dispatches will similarly have no audio, even if broadcasting independently of each other.

The 6B dispatches are always echoey (hollow?) and sound very "far off". The rest of Zone 6 from Metro sound perfectly normal though.

Paul

PaulNDaOC

Patching talkgroups together at a single console, 6B and 7A in this case from two systems has been a feature of Motorola Smartzone systems for years. Its done 24/7 on the older Orange County system. I would be shocked if RCS was not designed with this feature..

Com centers are already receiving radio traffic from more than one system simultaneously anytime a user enters another zone and is still affiliating on their dispatch group.

Not sure if Homeland Security money helped pay for RCS, but if it did the standard Post-9/11 justification used for funding regional radio projects was Inter-Op. The magic words that make federal dollars flow.

You can bet all the Fire dispatch centers can easily bring up any other fire agencies' talkgroup if they are on RCS on their consoles as part of that endeavor.

Plus if your Com Center crashes, and they do, another center can takeover til you can get to your EOC/backup.

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Patching talkgroups together at a single console, 6B and 7A in this case from two systems has been a feature of Motorola Smartzone systems for years. Its done 24/7 on the older Orange County system. I would be shocked if RCS was not designed with this feature..

Com centers are already receiving radio traffic from more than one system simultaneously anytime a user enters another zone and is still affiliating on their dispatch group.

Not sure if Homeland Security money helped pay for RCS, but if it did the standard Post-9/11 justification used for funding regional radio projects was Inter-Op. The magic words that make federal dollars flow.

You can bet all the Fire dispatch centers can easily bring up any other fire agencies' talkgroup if they are on RCS on their consoles as part of that endeavor.

Plus if your Com Center crashes, and they do, another center can takeover til you can get to your EOC/backup.

Paul,

What second system is being used in this way in Orange County?
Gold Elite consoles operate through a Central Electronics Bank (CEB) connected to a single system core; if it is the CCCS SmartZone system and the CCCS P25 system, I suspect they operate off the same core.

In the case of Metro, the RCS talkgroups (6B, etc,) are on Gold Elite consoles operating off the RCS core (through an off-site CEB), and the City talkgroups (7B, etc.) are on MCC-7500 consoles connected to the City's core.

Don

PaulNDaOC

I can't tell you specifics from Orange County, as my involvement with Interops there is 11 years ago, but I will be at MVCC in a few weeks and I am interested in seeing what they have at the dispatch consoles for Intereps..

scottyhetzel

I can't tell you specifics from Orange County, as my involvement with Interops there is 11 years ago, but I will be at MVCC in a few weeks and I am interested in seeing what they have at the dispatch consoles for Intereps..

Awesome, please let us know....love to know if the have the rebanded. Also find out if the have the low band back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.