• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8180 Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

Just putting a couple questions out there.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the most recent firmware for a TK-8180? Not asking for it, just curious where I can get it. I've been running version 1.16.00, which is what was on this radio when I purchased it. I think it's a pretty old version, considering the fact my software gives me a warning message every time I change the programming and write to it.

Also, does anyone know if updating the firmware will patch the current PTT proceed tone? Just curious. It's just a single beep and I was wondering if there was a newer one which is more of a melody.

Thanks.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
1.22 is the latest firmware for the x180 series. I don't know where you can get it - I got mine from my radio dealer if I recall correctly.

My "PTT proceed tone" is a stuttered chirp similar to that of a Motorola radio's trunked talk permit tone but I don't know that it's selectable. I just turned it on when I selected pre-transmission MDC ID, so that my users will remember to wait to transmit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need to be careful about updating firmware.
If I recall correctly, you were running on some GMRS channels. While these radios will do wide FM, the FCC Narrow Banding rule that hit in 2013 required manufacturers to lock out the wide band function on their radios.
Radios produced and loaded with firmware before this time would do wide and narrow just fine. Radios sold after the date (actually about December 2012) shipped with firmware that would limit or prevent wide band operations.

If your existing firmware allows wide band FM on the GMRS channels, you don't want to lose that by updating to the more recent firmware.
The newer firmware will not allow wide band on the UHF radios, and only below 150.1MHz on the VHF radios.
Kenwood does have an option, though. You can purchase a "W-license" that will permit programming of wide band. It isn't free, and it's tied to the KPG software serial number, so if you downloaded software without buying it form Kenwood or one of their dealers, you may be stuck. The W-license will only work with the KPG serial number it's issued for.

kenwoodgeek

Thanks, really didn't consider that. I thought it was the version of software you were running that determined if the radio could do wide band.

I stopped using the KPG-111DN software for my NX-800s and downloaded the KPG-111D because the DN wouldn't let me use wide band on GMRS, the D version does.

Maybe there's a possibility I could still upgrade the firmware, but just get a version that allows wide band. I would just have to figure out which version that would be.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's both software and firmware.

Usually, newer software will work with older firmware. Not always, but Kenwood has been really good about making their KPG software backwards compatible.

The "narrow band only" hook is part of the radio firmware version. However, as you noticed the newer KPG software won't let you program it without the "W-License". This isn't a Kenwood trying to cause problems thing. It's part of the FCC mandate for narrow banding.

Older versions of firmware can be difficult to find. Kenwood only provides the latest version on the Dealer Tools page. You'd have to find someone with an older version saved on their PC. Not sure what versions were pre-rebanding, it might be the one you already have.

lustderf

3180 x180 Firmware

I have been using Firmware version 1.21 and KPG-89D 1.61 (shows release date 11/26/2010) without issue on the GMRS channels. I know the 1.21 firmware came out prior to July 2012, but I cannot find the exact date. I have not been able to find the service bulletin listing what firmware 1.22 changed.

evfd1625

Tpt on the 7180 sounds like this... "beep" talk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kenwoodgeek

Well I'm looking for the firmware that has the proceed tone melody that sounds a little more like the Motorola chirp, not the single beep. If 1.21 has that and wide band, that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.