• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX 2200 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrongove

Premium Subscriber
After programing a Vertex 2200 the radio shuts down about 5 seconds after I turn it on. I'm new to then Vertex software and wondering if it's the radio or did I miss something?

MBill

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to assume that the radio worked normally before you programmed it. It stayed on and
you could transmit/receive with no issues.
If the radio was not tested before you programmed it, is the power supply the radio is hooked up to providing enough amperage? It should supply at least 10 amps and preferably 15 amps if you transmit. Less of course if just monitoring.
Did you adjust the power level setting during your programming?
I will have to look at the menu for the VX-2200 and see if I notice anything that would cause this,
though does not seem like a programming issue.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
I looked thru the various menus and didn't see anything that would cause the condition you described.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the radio. It seems unlikely that programming the radio
would have caused this issue, but anything is possible. I assume the radio is out of the Vertex 3
year warranty period otherwise you could send it to Vertex for repair. I've programmed many of these
VX-2200 mobiles and never yet had this issue. Anybody else got any ideas?

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Some more questions to see if we can narrow this down:
Are you using the correct software for the radio? I think it is the CE86 software.
Are you using a serial cable or USB cable such as the Vertex FIF12A which is recommended?
Are you using a bench type power supply for powering the radio or battery power?
If bench power supply, does it work OK with other radios? (Some power supplies shut down if they detect a short or other fault.)
When you hook up the radio for programming does it stay powered up then?
Do you have anything connected to the rear chassis DB9 Connector?
Have you tried transmitting even if it appears the radio has powered down? The display could
be off, giving the appearance that the radio is powered off. Check in the programming menu
under "Key Function" and see if any of the front keys may be programmed for "Emergency";
also check under "Emergency" and see if it says "Disabled" under Display. Read the help file
info as it says that this setting will turn off the display, but the radio will still be on. However,
you have to press the programmed front key first, so I doubt this would be an issue.
Lastly, if you can get the radio to stay on during programming you can try the Factory
reset in the Upload/download section. It will put things back to Factory default. I've found
this works for certain radio issues.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Correction on software. Should be CE82 not CE86.

byrongove

Premium Subscriber
Power supply is good using CE82 with the Vertex USB cable. How do you reset I don't see it in the radio section?

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Its under the radio heading where you upload/download. Last choice in the list is "Adjustment
Recovery". Read over the help file just to see what will happen. You may have to re-enter all your
channel programming, but it's worth a try.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
At this point unless anybody else has some ideas I would contact Vertex and see if they have any
suggestions. If they are new radios they will probably honor the warranty if you have to send them
back. You could also try to see if a Vertex dealer in your area has any ideas. It could be the radios
are defective, though very unlikely. Post the results if any thing fixes the issue. It is an unusual one.

byrongove

Premium Subscriber
I tried the third radio with the same results so I took them to a Vertex dealer they played with them for three days and couldn't figure it out so they sent them in to the company for me. I'd like to thank MBill and gvodvarka for all the help .

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Thinking about this issue one thing that came to my mind is to connect a +DC voltage (up to +13 volts DC) to the DB9 accessory connector pin that has ignition sense and see if the radio would remain powered up then. Maybe something in the programming set the radio to look for voltage on this pin to allow radio to stay on. Though normally you have to enable the ignition sense feature which I believe is in the Miscellaneous menu.

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
vx 2200 programing

I looked thru the various menus and didn't see anything that would cause the condition you described.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the radio. It seems unlikely that programming the radio
would have caused this issue, but anything is possible. I assume the radio is out of the Vertex 3
year warranty period otherwise you could send it to Vertex for repair. I've programmed many of these
VX-2200 mobiles and never yet had this issue. Anybody else got any ideas?
i'm trying to program a 2200 also have the correct software and usb cable, when i turn it on with the programming cable plugged in it goes to self test and radio name with a beep back and fourth. the software says to turn off then on to start downloading. neither works up or down, radio comes on fine with out or with ing sense,

any info is appreciated
using ct 104 usb and ce-94 software
k8ble

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Leave the radio off. On the menu step for uploading (reading the radio) once you press the button
you should see the message to turn the radio on. Then turn on the radio. If that doesn't work, it could
be you have the wrong com port selected. Go to the "configure" section in the menu, I think its under
"file" and see what selections you get for com port. You may have to try them all. You should be able
to select the FIF10 or 12 USB, depending on which version you have. I think for the USB the program
uses com port #6, but it may be different for your computer.
There's always the possibility you have a bad code plug and that's preventing the radio from being
read. If under warranty send it back to a Vertex dealer.
Bill

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
hello guys well i haven't got very far and i'm about halfway trying every ones answer's. but quick question..
the fifi program cables i have 3 or 4 and can't tell them apart, and were i ordered them from say there different.but how you tell i have had a time were one fits a few?. but there's no ID on the cable.to tell them
apart. i'm working on ing sense and voltage changes, amperage is right on. well sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.
THANKS K8BLE

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
STILL WORKING ON IT. oop's.. trying everyones answer's..sorry it took so long trying to ID the many cables that look the same and no markings on them.
3's

mancow

Database Admin
Not to be an *** but it's what 20 years old. It's probably just flat worn out. We have some still as control stations but other just exhibited odd behavior and half died. How some are still operating I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.