Active Ham Frequency's

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnidenBC92XLT

Is there a place on here to find active frequency's that ham operators talk on? I found how to look up call signs by zip code but no way to look up active frequency's. Was looking in the Mountain Home and Mountain View Arkansas area. 72653 and 72560 zip codes. I dont have a ham ticket yet but have a scanner to program freq to monitor. Thanks for any help.

N5TWB

Go straight to the source for the full state listing by frequency and location: Arkansas Repeaters Page 3

Finding the active repeaters in any one area requires programming all available area repeaters from the list above and monitoring. Getting involved with a local amateur radio club would connect you with knowledgeable people that could narrow your list and save time. Check www.arrl.org for an affiliated club listing.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I second RepeaterBook.com - excellent resource and mostly accurate. We should always submitted updated info if/when things changed or erroneous info is discovered in the listings.

UnidenBC92XLT

Thanks guys for all the info. I found some guys talking on 147.0000MHz. I could hear 3 guys but was kinda static sounding but could understand them good. Seemed like I was picking one of them up on 146.4000 also clear as a bell the same guy but could only hear the one guy on it for some reason. Also found some guys on 147.9900.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
After you start listening to the ham repeaters, you may be disappointed. A great deal of what you hear will be chit-chat and of little interest to you. I've been known to just turn the transceiver off in my car because it bores me to death and I know the guys who are talking.

Give it a try, though. You may enjoy it.

zzdiesel

Our local 2 Meter guys talk here around Kennett MO on 151.820. Isn't that a free band channel? They talk to some Jonesboro & Paragould guys on there as well I believe.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Our local 2 Meter guys talk here around Kennett MO on 151.820. Isn't that a free band channel? They talk to some Jonesboro & Paragould guys on there as well I believe.

I don't believe 151.820 is a ham frequency. Doesn't the 2m band end at 148.00?

nd5y

Thanks guys for all the info. I found some guys talking on 147.0000MHz. I could hear 3 guys but was kinda static sounding but could understand them good. Seemed like I was picking one of them up on 146.4000 also clear as a bell the same guy but could only hear the one guy on it for some reason. Also found some guys on 147.9900.
147.4 would be a repeater input with the output on 147.0. That's why you can't hear everybody.

147.99 is a repeater input with the output on 147.39.

In most places in the US the 2 meter repeater band plan is as follows:
144.51 - 144.89 input / 145.11 - 145.49 output
146.01 - 146.4 input / 146.61 - 147.0 output
147.6 - 147.99 input / 147.0 - 147.39 output

The most commonly used frequency ranges for simplex in most areas are:
146.415 - 146.595
147.415 - 147.595

The exact frequencies used can vary depending regional band plans used in your location.

I don't believe 151.820 is a ham frequency. Doesn't the 2m band end at 148.00?
Correct. The 2m ham band is 144-148. 151.82 is one of the MURS channels.

N5TWB

Based on what you've posted and the Arkansas Repeater Council link I gave you a few posts back, it appears you are hearing repeaters in the Stuttgart and Searcy areas. Now you can use that link to find other stuff in nearby counties.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It's too bad that repeater council database isn't in a more user-friendly format - sortable, etc. It also shows all coordinations (best I can tell) and some may be (are) offline, etc., but have kept their coordination.

Advantage to RepeaterBook is users can click that a repeater is offline or update tones, etc., as they change (and they do change), and can view them on a map, coverage areas, features, etc. Handy website - we need to make sure it is kept up to date by reporting current, accurate info any time an error is found. Having their app on the smartphone is handy, too.

TheSpaceMann

If you want to really enhance your monitoring experience, build a simple ground plane antenna! If you can mount it outside or on the roof, you will probably be able to pick up a lot more repeaters and activity.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also remember in AR and a LOT of other States, there are now very wide area linked HAM Repeater Networks, such as the CAREN in AR. These are sometimes even linked regionwode and nationwide by computer, and/or satellite relays called nodes. In the Hot Springs area, there is the very large net of the CAREN, and then an smaller linked net called the Diamond Lakes Repeater Network, which if I recall is part of the CAREN now?

http://www.carenclub.com/carenrepeaters.php
http://www.qsl.net/w/w5lvb//skywarn/page6.html

Last edited by a moderator:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Also remember in AR and a LOT of other States, there are now very wide area linked HAM Repeater Networks, such as the CAREN in AR. These are sometimes even linked regionwode and nationwide by computer, and/or satellite relays called nodes. In the Hot Springs area, there is the very large net of the CAREN, and then an smaller linked net called the Diamond Lakes Repeater Network, which if I recall is part of the CAREN now?

Central Arkansas Radio Emergency Net
DLAS Frequency List

Yes, the W5DI system is pretty wide as is the AR Links System through the CAUHF Group. Good ways to hear traffic as they are several repeaters linked so you are more likely to hear operators talking than just on one lone repeater.

As far as "HAM" goes, let's remember... Every Blade of Grass: Please.....Stop Calling it "HAM" Radio. It's "Ham", "ham", or "Amateur" Radio

Sorry, had to... :D

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Ham rerpeaters

In the 2 meter band, most repeaters use a minus .600 if they are below 147.00 and a plus if they are above 147.00. 147.00 can be plus or minus. 147.4 might be used simplex but does not fall into the band plan as part of a repeater frequency pair.

TheSpaceMann

Is there a place on here to find active frequency's that ham operators talk on? I found how to look up call signs by zip code but no way to look up active frequency's. Was looking in the Mountain Home and Mountain View Arkansas area. 72653 and 72560 zip codes. I dont have a ham ticket yet but have a scanner to program freq to monitor. Thanks for any help.
Why restrict yourself to only the hams that you might be able to hear on your scanner? You can now actually listen to hams chatting all over the world in real time on VHF, UHF and HF, right from your computer!! Just go to: websdr.org :)

Last edited:

UnidenBC92XLT

Why restrict yourself to only the hams that you might be able to hear on your scanner? You can now actually listen to hams chatting all over the world in real time on VHF, UHF and HF, right from your computer!! Just go to: websdr.org :)

Thanks for the info. I do have a Sirio Tornado 27 up on my 40' tower for my CB Radio. I hook my scanner to it most of the time when Im monitoring. Tip of the antenna is just over 62' in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.