2010 Chrysler Town & Country Van - Install Revision #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Good evening everyone!
I've been moving stuff around a little and tinkering with my set up & finally got it how I like it so I should be good until next week when I get the urge to change it again LOL. A brief rundown of what's installed:
1 - Motorola Syntor A9 VHF High Band - 110 Watts
1 - Motorola Syntor A9 VHF Low Band - 110 Watts
1 - Radio Shack HTX-252 2M Mobile (Dedicated ham only mobile)
1 - LG GPad 7.0 - Used as a hotspot & Active911 Call Notification/Response
1 - Motorola Jedi Series Vehicular Charger w/ MTS2000 Portable Used For
8 CALL Conventional/National Interop
3 - Motorola XTS5000's - 1 Mod2 VHF, 1 Mod2 UHF, 1 Mod3 800 (Pictured on passenger seat in very top pic)

Thanks for stopping by to take a look. I welcome feedback & encourage folks to ask whatever questions they may have. Let me say this because it always seems to get asked....... I am the Disaster Action Team Chief for my county's office of the American Red Cross. Both the High Band & Low Band Syntor's are used for my duties with Red Cross. The 3 XTS5000's are used for both my duties at Red Cross and Ham stuff. The Model 3 800 is issued to me, and both the Model 2's are owned by me. On the tablet you'll notice the app that is running is called Active911. We've recently started using it and it's an awesome app. Just about every agency in our county is using it.

*** 1 - Please excuse the pic quality, I took them tonight with my iPhone. I plan on getting some better ones during the day and will update this thread with them. 2 - I'll post the obligatory antenna pics when I get the daytime pics. All the antennas are black so there's no way they'd show up. ***
With all that said here are some pics:

- Looking in from outside the front passenger door:

- Passenger Point of View:

- Driver Point of View:

- Driver Point of View Night Shot:

- Driver Point of View Night Shot 2:

wcu02mpa

That is a proper Motorola install. Looks great. I also have a VHF high spectra and VHF low X9000. Great radios those old X9000's. I am in Asheville and am in your area once in awhile. Look for me on the low band repeaters.

KM4WLV

That is a proper Motorola install. Looks great. I also have a VHF high spectra and VHF low X9000. Great radios those old X9000's. I am in Asheville and am in your area once in awhile. Look for me on the low band repeaters.

I appreciate the compliment. I haven't had a chance to add any LB stuff to the Syntor yet. As it sits now it has the American Red Cross low band channels, old low band Emergency Management channels, and SHP. If you make it down this way and have either 2m or 440 capability I monitor both sides of the N4UH repeaters in China Grove.

In case you're interested here's the info for those repeaters:

N4UH 2m: Rx-145.410 Tx-144.810 PL-136.5
N4UH 440: Rx-443.250 Tx-448.250 PL-136.5

KM4WLV

As promised here are some better pics that I took with my Nikon D5100, including antenna pics. One piece of equipment I forgot to mention is the cell/hotspot amp under the drivers seat. I always forget about it. Also, the Motorola DEK/Wildcard box is going to be used for control of lighting and switched power for the mobiles. It will be put in service once the parts I have ordered arrive to build my power & relay control box. ***EDIT (info added) - I got a message asking about how the Motorola mics are mounted above the DEK. I took a spare A9 head bracket, popped out the inserts and simply flipped it over.*** Again thanks to everyone for the positive comments thus far. Please feel free to ask questions. Here are the pics:

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Antenna shot 1 (from rear). Use is as follows: Back right corner VHF 1/4 wave for Radio Shack HTX-252, back left corner VHF/UHF dual band shared for XTS5000's when outside antenna is needed, rear center roof cell booster, middle is an 800 Antennex Phantom (being used as a placeholder), front is external antenna for BCD396XT:

Driver front quarter panel VHF for High Band Syntor:

Passenger front quarter panel VHF for Low Band Syntor:

Last edited:

cmdrwill

"Passenger front quarter panel VHF for Low Band Syntor:" That is a big NO No. antennas WAY too close, you will smoke your 'good time' radio. Also the added antenna will affect the broadcast, 'good time' radio antenna tuning.

cmdrwill

"Back right corner VHF 1/4 wave for Radio Shack HTX-252,". The VHF 1/4 wave should be in the center of the roof so it has the required ground plane, of at least 1/4 wave in all directions.

KM4WLV

I appreciate the feedback. The low band doesn't get transmitted on and the antenna for the HTX-252 works fine where it's at with no issues & it is rarely used as the high band Syntor has the normal 2m stuff I'm active on. The 252 is more of a back up. I'm well aware of the "no no's. I've been doing installs for close to 16 years. At he moment I'm not worried with it with the limited use both see, plus this vehicle will be gone within the year

Status
Not open for further replies.