• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New CB radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

Hey all. I'm still working on my whip and new CB radio. I was happy to get a cobra 25....but realize it does not scan!

Pretty funny. I'm still working on my whip getting 2.3 to 2.8 swr. Hope ham outlet can help me.

TheSpaceMann

Hey all. I'm still working on my whip and new CB radio. I was happy to get a cobra 25....but realize it does not scan!

Pretty funny. I'm still working on my whip getting 2.3 to 2.8 swr. Hope ham outlet can help me.
Are you going to try to return the equipment for something else?

TheSpaceMann

I've heard some rave reviews about the new President Grant 2. Only thing is that you'll have to order it online via overseas vendors.

Rred

Suggesting an uncertified, unsupported, "overseas" radio to a new user is not doing them any favors. An FCC compliant radio with a manufacturer and warranty is a much better way to get started, unless you're planning to start a pirate radio station, or know enough to deal with the tech issues yourself.

TheSpaceMann

Suggesting an uncertified, unsupported, "overseas" radio to a new user is not doing them any favors. An FCC compliant radio with a manufacturer and warranty is a much better way to get started, unless you're planning to start a pirate radio station, or know enough to deal with the tech issues yourself.
Good point! I was unaware that the unit was non compliant, and just assumed that it didn't get here yet. I was just passing along info. regarding the reviews people were making about it. But I agree, the Uniden 980 is available here right now and is almost identical to the other unit.

Delivers1234

Hey all.

I went to radio outlet. No luck. Use a 18ft coax from my coax to antennae hanging on ground for trailer hitch rack and swr was 1. The same coax in my cargo area(equinox) sent it to 2.4 again. Spring with extension raised swr to 2.8... antanne tuner fixed swr but lower watt to 1. They suggest grounding hitch at various points and adding same length antanne wire to see if swr improves. :(...

Rred

Try rephrasing all that. Buy a vowel, make complete sentences.
Mounting an antenna on a trailer hitch is going to be a lousy solution in any case. The base of the antenna is now maybe three feet below the roof, and that's three feet of antenna that is below the level of your ground plane, so the SWR and performance will start out mediocre.
An NMO mount in the roof and a three foot whip will probably outperform it.

Delivers1234

So I added grounding with house wire from antanne mount to car chassis. Small swr drop. I then cut a wire (house) to the length of antanne plus l bracket and laid it outward to rear on cement. Swr went down to 1.7 at ch 40!

Tomorrow I will lengthen wire and let it hand on underside of car with ties. A guy at hamoutlet said I have a vertical plane but my horizontal plane is not right.

Delivers1234

hi all,

so i did not get a chance to run a wire as long as the antenna to the front of the equinox. i did use 4 gauge to reinforce the ground from the hitch rack to the chassis. i scraped off the paint from the hitch rack and the antenna mount points (using a dremel) and added washers with teeth. so basically i have a 4 ga wire and 14 gauge wires x3, running from the chassis to the hitch rack.

My SWR ch 1, 20, 40 is 2.1, 2.2. 2.3 respectively. Good job right? I will still run a wire (size of antenna) from the antenna to the the front of the equinox. Perhaps I should connect it this evening to the antenna and leave it on the trailer hitch. My mechanic will also ground the muffler and Ill ask to have the hatch grounded as well.

I know everyone suggesst the firestik. I have the whip and would like to use it. I can't use it in the apartment. So I would like to have an SWR of 1.3-1.7. Then i can slurge for a Bearcat.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your support. I love the children's band.

delivers1234

TheSpaceMann

hi all,

so i did not get a chance to run a wire as long as the antenna to the front of the equinox. i did use 4 gauge to reinforce the ground from the hitch rack to the chassis. i scraped off the paint from the hitch rack and the antenna mount points (using a dremel) and added washers with teeth. so basically i have a 4 ga wire and 14 gauge wires x3, running from the chassis to the hitch rack.

My SWR ch 1, 20, 40 is 2.1, 2.2. 2.3 respectively. Good job right? I will still run a wire (size of antenna) from the antenna to the the front of the equinox. Perhaps I should connect it this evening to the antenna and leave it on the trailer hitch. My mechanic will also ground the muffler and Ill ask to have the hatch grounded as well.

I know everyone suggesst the firestik. I have the whip and would like to use it. I can't use it in the apartment. So I would like to have an SWR of 1.3-1.7. Then i can slurge for a Bearcat.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your support. I love the children's band.

delivers1234
Are you considering operating from the apartment? If so, you may have other options! :)

Delivers1234

I have a set up for the apartment. Its the 102" whip on my trailer hitch that is giving me problems. My 4ft firestik on my bbq pit has awesome swr.

Rred

I have an "eight foot" stick too. It stays in the corner of the closet and I throw a magmount on the car. Because it gets better performance than an eight foot stick mounted three feet below ground level.

That's about your choice. Bang your head against the wall, the big stick just isn't going to buy you anything unless you install it on the roof. (Ouch.) Sometimes, you've just got to move on.

NMO mount if you want to use it a lot and don't mind a hole in the roof. Magmount if you don't. Three foot helical (Firestick) or loaded whip, whatever you prefer.

Delivers1234

I have an "eight foot" stick too. It stays in the corner of the closet and I throw a magmount on the car. Because it gets better performance than an eight foot stick mounted three feet below ground level.

That's about your choice. Bang your head against the wall, the big stick just isn't going to buy you anything unless you install it on the roof. (Ouch.) Sometimes, you've just got to move on.

NMO mount if you want to use it a lot and don't mind a hole in the roof. Magmount if you don't. Three foot helical (Firestick) or loaded whip, whatever you prefer.

Thank you. I'll try the wire on Wednesday and if it works.. if not I'll move on. The problem I had with the mag mount on top was the coax going through the door. The stick was hard and would bump the carport. I guess I could get a stronger magnet and a thinner flexible stick.

Rred

Ah, the carport, so now you also have a height challenge. That's the reality of how antennas HAVE TO be chosen. You need a shorter antenna, or you need to stop and dismount it for clearance. I don't use the CB much, so I just have to take it down (or use the shortie) on low clearances.

Or get rid of the Chevy and buy something sensible like a Lotus, so you've got clearance. I don't think you can put a trailer hitch on those, they'd come and take away the car if it was reported to them.(G)

TheSpaceMann

Ah, the carport, so now you also have a height challenge. That's the reality of how antennas HAVE TO be chosen. You need a shorter antenna, or you need to stop and dismount it for clearance. I don't use the CB much, so I just have to take it down (or use the shortie) on low clearances.

Or get rid of the Chevy and buy something sensible like a Lotus, so you've got clearance. I don't think you can put a trailer hitch on those, they'd come and take away the car if it was reported to them.(G)
You can get one for a Lotus Elise! I have seen a lot of trailer hitches on Corvettes as well! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.