Digital vs analog with maine state police

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickGray28

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering what everyone thought about the new digital system that the state police are using. I listen to them through analog and was wondering if the audio was more clear and sounded alot better then listening analog. Wanted to get everyones opinion on this, where I haven't had any experience listening to digital.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

mainetrunk

Personally, I prefer the analog freq for primary dispatch..
That way another scanner can scan the digital system.
But, except for the jail transport, other entities seem to be going encrypted.
So--analog for me.

mainetrunk

I'll try to explain..
When you have a handheld scanner, and you want to hear a trunked system, you have to have a strong signal for it to trunk.. With analog, you can still get a signal when you set your scanner down.. And with scanners like the Uniden 396XT, too many settings to set the p25 recieving to the right setting.. With the analog, there is no group or sub group, 1 feq, 1 entity.. And I am not in an area where many of the trunk entities go, so why listen if it isn't near you------I am reffering to being outside, scanning.. I mean, who lives to hear " 1 back on grounds, ending is 12323.0" "??... Everyone has their prefference, that's mine..
Plus--the golden rule..
With a digital conversation, it is all or nothing for a signal..
NO static to try and scan thru..
With analog, you can at least get a signal and move to a better spot and hear the difference as it happens.. The guy who taught me about scanners told me digital is a waste of power.. I now agree with him.. I prefer analog LTR systems...
I hope you can understand this.. Best way to understand is to try what I said.. Goto many spots and try listenning to it, here, there, in your cellar, and even in the bathroom.. Try all possibilities before you love it--and then find out it wont scan because of being in the bathroom, cellar, or a friends place that is right at sea level.. PLUS---a $20.00 scanner can get the analog signal better than some get the digital signal.. -- Fact...... Try it, have fun..

NickGray28

Premium Subscriber
That does make a lot of sense! All I have ever used was analog and wanted some opinions of which is better, I think I may stick with analog, I like the idea of when the signal comes in on digital it clear and crisp but who's to say where it even comes in you either get a spot where it comes in or you don't. I really like the audio that a digital radio puts out but I'm not even sure it will come in everywhere my analog will. And thanks for the explanation it's much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.