Lake County, IL (Gurnee-Waukegan area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

I'll be down in the area next week for an event. Are the Lake Co municpalities still analog or using STARCOM21? Just wondering what radio(s) to pack. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
all the PD's are encrypted starcom Fire is still analog VHF. Fox Lake Antioch and Grayslake PD's are still UHF for now

Chicago2210

all the PD's are encrypted starcom Fire is still analog VHF. Fox Lake Antioch and Grayslake PD's are still UHF for now

Umm Highland Park, Lake Forest,Lake Bluff, Deerfield,Riverwoods, and Bannockburn Police are still VHF.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Ummm He said Gurnee-Waukegan Northern lake county and supposedly those towns are going soon too. Yes you can hear CPD loud and clear from Lake county

Chicago2210

Ummm He said Gurnee-Waukegan Northern lake county and supposedly those towns are going soon too. Yes you can hear CPD loud and clear from Lake county[/QUOTE
The ones I mentioned or the ones in the Gurnee,Antioch, and Fox Lake/Grayslake area.

Rockford_IL

They are all using AES. There's a few local tac Talkgroups assigned to each municipality, and some of these are unencrypted; wether that's an oversight or intentional, who knows. But the main dispatch Talkgroups (muni & sheriff) are secure. On the other hand, ISP D2 and D15 are in the clear.

RADIOGUY2002

The starcom 21 database needs to be updated if the talkgroups are encrypted, that not a true reflection in the database if its says T for TDMA and not E for encrypted. Suggest we list what talkgroups show encryption.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For the OP: The Waukegan, Gurnee and nearby towns on StarCom21 are encrypted for police.

The few remaining towns in Lake County that are not on StarCom21 (Deerfield, Bannockburn, Lake Forest, Riverwoods, Highwood, Highland Park, Lake Bluff) are not encrypted.

It was just announced on the CARMA List that Deerfield, Bannockburn and Riverwoods would be moving to StarCom21 but no word yet on the other towns in the SE corner of the county.

Chicago2210

For the OP: The Waukegan, Gurnee and nearby towns on StarCom21 are encrypted for police.

The few remaining towns in Lake County that are not on StarCom21 (Deerfield, Bannockburn, Lake Forest, Riverwoods, Highwood, Highland Park, Lake Bluff) are not encrypted.

It was just announced on the CARMA List that Deerfield, Bannockburn and Riverwoods would be moving to StarCom21 but no word yet on the other towns in the SE corner of the county.

With in the next 18 Mounths so April of 2018 at the latest

084r

A Question To , StarCom 21 is encrypted-Waukegan IL.

When you say StarCom 21 Encrypted for Waukegan . Is that a game over ? or I Need a Phase2 Radio ?
Radios I have in use are BCD396XT and BCD996XT .
Thank You in Advance for any info you may pass along . Im not the best with the newer gear .

084r

A Question To , StarCom 21 is encrypted-Waukegan IL.

Thanks Much N9JIG ! You helped end my search . I have enjoyed listening to them for the past 35 years .

jpm

Yes, game over. There is no way to get passed the encryption.

Also all of LC law is P2 so if it were in the clear both of your current scanners would not be able to pick up transmissions.

ScottL

Premium Subscriber
Just came through Lake County recently and there is still stuff to listen to.

ALL the fire is still on VHF.

Gurnee is still using 855.6375 (127.3)

Cencom is still on their VHF channels

Foxcom/Antioch is still on 470.5875 (97.4)

Grayslake/Hainesville is still on 472.6000 (d343)

Barrington is still on 470.8125 (97.4)

North Chicago is still on 470.4625 (97.4)

Winthrop Harbor/Wadsworth are still on 155.6100 (103.5)

Mundelein makes extensive use of their VHF Channel 2 - 154.1000 (88.5)

I also heard Wauconda on Starcom in the clear on their Car-Car channel (Can't remember the TG)

So not everything in Lake County is dead yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.