• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex Standard VX 231-G7-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedawg0069

We use this model radio at work and have questioned management in regards to buying more radios, their response was that the radios are obsolete. I informed them that it does not matter what brand radio it is as long as it is the correct band range. With that being said I know that our radios come in VHF and UHF so how can I find out which one we have as no one at works knows what the frequency is?

gvodvarka

Fat antenna vhf. 231 replaced with vx261. Much better radio same price. You license will have freq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBill

Premium Subscriber
I'd second that. The VX-261 is a better radio than the VX-351 also. More volume, more
waterproof. The VX-261 has battery clip which mounts on battery not with screw on chassis
as with the VX-351. With the VX-351, invariably the single screw would loosen up and strip the
threads in the chassis housing. You either had to use a heli-coil insert or tap out the hole
for a slightly larger metric screw or go without the belt clip.
My one main complaint with the VX-261 is that the PTT button has a small surface contact
area and not as easy to keep your finger on it when you want to transmit. Otherwise the
VX-261 is a good performance radio at a good price.

firedawg0069

Fat antenna vhf. 231 replaced with vx261. Much better radio same price. You license will have freq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we must have the UHF model as the antenna long and slim and no one probably even knows where the license are seeing how it has had so many different owners/parent companies. searched the frequency database for my state/city and no listing for them

MBill

Premium Subscriber
I think the "G7--5" is the UHF model. I checked a UHF VX-351 and it says "G7-5".
Does the antenna have two red rings at the top or two blue rings? Red rings are the UHF
antennas and blue rings are the VHF ones. As previously mentioned the UHF antennas are
skinny and VHF are fatter. Both come in 6" and 3" lengths. I would get the 3" ones, the longer
6" ones tend to get bent more in use and, depending on how much stooping or bending you
do, will poke you in the ribs more.

firedawg0069

MBILL,
Thanks for that tid bit of info about the colored rings, i will have to check when i get to work tomorrow and i agree about the 6 inch antenna, that is what we have and i hate them

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
My company has hundreds of VHF VX-231's. Great radios, low failure rates. Interesting on the VX-261. I'm going to have to look into them. We have not bought any radios lately, a testament to the VX-231's.

firemedic78

we must have the UHF model as the antenna long and slim and no one probably even knows where the license are seeing how it has had so many different owners/parent companies. searched the frequency database for my state/city and no listing for them

firedawg0069,

I don't know how much you are into scanners and such, but if you have a newer model police scanner in your vehicle, Radio Shack or Uniden, and I even think Whistler even has this function. You can go to your menu settings on your scanner and turn on your "close call" feature, and again, Radio Shack or Whistler may use different names for it, Uniden calls it "close call", but basically all that does is, if you're within a certain radius of a radio, when close call feature is enabled, the scanner will pick up radio traffic that's within the radius of the close call feature. I am not 100% accurate on how far or how close you have to be to be able to have the scanner pickup radio traffic, this is what I used to find our new County Sheriff repeater channels for both receive and transmit Plus the pl/dpl code and then our County to the south of us, which we have fire and EMS territory within the county to the south of us, they switched over to a repeater Channel as well, and I did the exact same thing, I was bored one night, couldn't sleep, so I went and sat in front of the communications center for both of my counties that we have jurisdiction in and turned my close call feature on and just sat there and waited, and it didn't take but 5 minutes for me to be able to get the correct frequency. It is an awesome feature to have, especially for issues like you, or if your traveling like holidays and stuff like this weekend, and you are on a highway or an interstate or just simply a local roadway and they noticed traffic being backed up, they can switch to their close call frequency and enable it or turn it on, and listen to see if there's a car accident or something up ahead, and if so, they could hear what's going on. In your case, this function definitely comes in handy when you don't know the frequency because you can't find the FCC license or anything to that nature. I don't know how you feel about sitting in your parking lot of your after getting off shift, but you know you're work more than I do, if they're constantly using the radios, then it shouldn't take no time at all to be able to come up with the frequency. Just my two cents worth, and again if you do not have a police scanner then obviously my suggestion is obsolete, but if you do have a scanner in your car, either Base, or handheld, and it's a newer model, then it should have the close call feature. All you have to do is go to the settings menu and scroll down until you see close call feature, and then click on it, or look in your owner's manual, some radios have that feature already programmed into the radio, to where all you have to do is push a button and it automatically turns it into close call function mode. For example, my uniden BDC996P2 digital base scanner that I have mounted on my Dash is programmed by the factory to enable the close call function mode by simply pushing in on the squelch Rotator knob. And you get several options, you can use close call while your scanning your regular channels, you can set close call Priority channels, you can go to close call only, you'll just have to look at all the functions that the close call feature can do with the push of a button, but you can go into your close call settings under your settings tab and have it beep and alert you and flash a color on the screen when it picks up a new frequency, and you should be able to recognize voices, or some way be able to tell if that is your work that's talking, and once you feel that that is your Work's Channel, then you click enter and it stores the frequency and then you can enter it as a group ID, or you can just save it until you get to the point to where you can program your Vertex radio and then you can get to the frequency for both receive and transmit, and if there is a PL or a DPL tone code, it also brings that up as well. I hope this helps, again, if you don't have a scanner or a newer scanner, then I apologize for wasting your time on reading this. And just to clarify, when I say a newer model scanner, I am not meaning brand new, that close call feature has been available in scanners since about mid to late 2000's. You'll just have to search in your settings of your scanner to see if there's a close call feature, or if you still have the owner's manual of your scanner, go to the index and on the back to see if there is a close call feature and then you can go to that page and it will describe exactly what to do, but again I picked the night that I was bored and couldn't sleep, so I went up to our County's Dispatch Center and within 5 minutes I found the new frequencies, and then I drove 13 miles south to the Southern counties Dispatch Center, knowing that we have a lot of territory in their County as well but not dispatched by them, and I basically did the same thing, sat outside of their law enforcement Public Safety Center, which has their Dispatch Center located inside, and basically just set the headrest back and listen 4 traffic to hit, and once it did I was able to right away verify that it was the county Rx/Tx freq and DPL code. if you have a scanner, I hope this helps. Remember, if you don't have a Uniden, Radio Shack, Whistler, or any other brand name of a newer police scanner, they may call this term a different name. Uniden calls it the close call feature, I think Radio Shack calls it close call RF, so just make sure you go into your owner's manual or into your settings and search to see if you have that feature. Again, depending on the make of your scanner, it may not actually be called close call, it may be called something else, but it will do the same functions. And again I apologize for wasting your time. Have a safe rest of the holiday weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.