New to Harvey County

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjmag

Hello all. I just moved to Newton from Tulsa, Oklahoma a week ago. I look forward to scanning the area. I noticed that most the area is either on the state 800 p25 phase 1 system and Wichita's p25 phase 1 system.
My first question is can Wichita's system simulcast with the state system or are they two separate systems? Thanks.

Redneck0410

They are two separate systems. HOWEVER, Sedgwick County does occasionally use KSICS talk groups if something is shaking in a neighboring county. Don Gruver, who is affiliated with Harvey County 911, is a member here and has been a plethora of information since they joined the statewide 800 system just a few short months ago. Welcome to Kansas, Peter!

-Shawn from Hutchinson (about 30 miles due west of you)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

peterjmag

Thanks Redneck. I am really enjoying it here. My next question is whether or not the now old VHF will be saved for a backup or other uses? I noticed the tornado sirens have VHF antennas. Is one of the VHF frequencies used to activate them? Thanks again.

dgruver911

Hi Peter and welcome. As for VHF, only the paging frequency 154.325 and the old Newton PD/Ops 5 154.755 (for Newton sirens) were kept. We are in the process of removing all the old repeaters and voters and I will be turning in the licenses. The cities of Sedgwick and Hesston kept their VHF repeaters for public works, but everyone else got rid of their VHF equipment as well.

Redneck0410

Hi Peter and welcome. As for VHF, only the paging frequency 154.325 and the old Newton PD/Ops 5 154.755 (for Newton sirens) were kept. We are in the process of removing all the old repeaters and voters and I will be turning in the licenses. The cities of Sedgwick and Hesston kept their VHF repeaters for public works, but everyone else got rid of their VHF equipment as well.
That's a good piece of information, Don. Now I know I can go in on my radios and do a little cleanup in the VHF department for you guys. To follow up on the scanner aspect of things, have you come across anyone using the newer Uniden equipment having any issues anywhere in the county? I know there's some overlap with how the towers are situated there, but now that some time has passed since the rollout, it's got me kind of wondering whether I should pull the trigger on it.

dgruver911

I've programmed a slew of Unidens for people, as well as Whistler and Radio Shack models. I haven't got a lot of feedback but from what I have heard they're about the same. The simulcast is just a problem; sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I just tell people to keep the squelch at about 10:00 position and move the scanner around to find the best spot to pick up.

Redneck0410

I've programmed a slew of Unidens for people, as well as Whistler and Radio Shack models. I haven't got a lot of feedback but from what I have heard they're about the same. The simulcast is just a problem; sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I just tell people to keep the squelch at about 10:00 position and move the scanner around to find the best spot to pick up.
I suspected as much. Thanks, Don.

I_am_Alpha1

If simulcast is a problem...go see Mark at the Derby Radio Shack (I know it's a bit of a drive). Next week he is supposed to get 4 Motorola XTS5000 radios that do not suffer from this. They are receive only and scan the local p25 systems quite well. They don't get them often or that many for that matter so jump on it when you can.

Redneck0410

If simulcast is a problem...go see Mark at the Derby Radio Shack (I know it's a bit of a drive). Next week he is supposed to get 4 Motorola XTS5000 radios that do not suffer from this. They are receive only and scan the local p25 systems quite well. They don't get them often or that many for that matter so jump on it when you can.
If they weren't so darned expensive I might consider it.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
Question

Can Mark program one for Shawnee Co. .....if so I need to be headed for the turnpike....need to get a hand held that can chew thru Shawnee Counties multi path simulcast.

peterjmag

Don,
Does Harvey County Emergency Management have talk groups on 800 or do they just monitor and use the FD's talk groups? Thanks.

dgruver911

No, EM does not have or need any of his own talkgroups. He's not on the radio very much but you can hear him occasionally on County Law or the Fire Channels. He is 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.