Choosing a new digital scanner for home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I am going to have to purchase a digital scanner for home to replace my simple BC355N. My county is going from low band to a 10 frequency Phase 1 conventional simulcast P25 system. I have been debating which scanner to get and will probably get it right after Christmas hoping for some discounts.

I currently have an HP-1 that I use mostly in my vehicle, so I am very familiar with it. I don't really need Phase 2 capability at this point, but am thinking about future-proofing at least the home scanner. Otherwise, I would just get another HP-1.

I was looking at the BCD325P2, but I don't think it's going to give me the audio quality I want. I have the analog version of that scanner (BC125AT) and I know the audio isn't terrific.

I would think that the HP-2 would be a good choice. Plus, I could easily take it mobile since I already have the HP-1 mount in my vehicle. Can I use the same Homepatrol Sentinel software that I use to program my HP-1 or is there a different version for the HP-2?

Also, for the price, I would think that the BCD996P2 would be a decent option for a home scanner.

With all of the issues that the HP X36 scanners had upon release, I was really not considering either of those.

marksmith

You use the exact same version of Sentinel for the HP1 and HP2. I upload the exact same favorites lists to both. Just as info, when a phase 1 radio associates with a phase 2 system, that talkgroup reverts to phase 1 temporarily, and goes back to phase 2 afterward. So you can load phase 2 systems into an HP1 but unless it goes phase 1 you won't hear anything.

The 996p2 is an excellent choice. It trades off the ability to record, inboard database, etc for no SD card issues. Both of these radios are good receivers, the HP2 having the same audio codex as the x36 radios.

I own both, and in fact own 2 copies of the HP2 because of no issues and still using the original firmware. Own an HP1 and I copy the same stuff into the HP radios from the same Sentinel program. Phase 2 is prevalent in my area and the HP2 does great. If you like the HP1, and already have the mount, I would give the HP2 a good recommendation. Its the same radio with improvements for phase 2.

I own both x36 radios but my main everyday 24/7 radio is the HP2.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Dave- Knowing that you are so familiar with the HP-1 in your part of PA and use it on the 700 mHz statewide system and other things, I would think an HP-2 would be your first choice. Especially since you can immediately use Sentinel to set up everything on the HP-2 exactly as you have it in your mobile... and immediately make home antenna comparisons, systems (that you listen to) comparisons, etc. Particularly with the upcoming changes in your area... and readiness for Phase II should that occur. I've had my HP-2 for a year now with the Extreme upgrade. It has been running 24/7 since I turned it on and connected it to the OCFD in my attic last Christmas. And if you don't have the Extreme upgrade on your HP-1, consider adding it to the HP-2. It will be useful in analyzing the new system(s?) that's coming into your area. Unless you're itching to learn a new radio & software that is very different from your HP-1 (or 355 for that matter).... the HP-2 makes a lot of sense. FYI - Last year Amazon ran a Black Friday special on a limited number of them for $250. Hope they repeat that....

dmg1969

Thanks both for your input. I think the HP-2 is ultimately going to be my best choice. The fact that I can use the same software (and favorites lists) clinches it. Now I just need to keep an eye out for the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.