Possible yaesu placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

I was thinking of some Velcro. Any suggestions?

b2a920ea1fa37ea962de33956ecd81c0.jpg

RFBOSS

I know that there are those that use Velcro, but I am not a fan of using it.

Devices held in place with Velcro can become deadly projectiles in the event of an accident.

I can't tell exactly where that is in your vehicle.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
I really like the 3M mounting tape.... works very well and wont loosen up like velco does when it gets hot outside.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking of some Velcro. Any suggestions?

b2a920ea1fa37ea962de33956ecd81c0.jpg

That looks like one of those storage areas in the back of an SUV. I would be concerned about keeping the unit cool enough with the airflow being restricted like that.

I'm similarly inclined to not using hook & loop material to keep something like a transceiver in place if the going gets rough.

KB0VWG

I had my wife's yaesu Ft-7800 in a spot just like that but at tad smaller in her Honda Fit and it didn't move anywhere but you never know it could happen.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You should be able to fit that up under the center console. My dad has an FT-7900 mounted in his Chevy Equinox. The control head is mounted under the radio/hvac controls.

You really do need to secure it well. In the event of a collision, it's a heavy block of aluminum that can bounce around the inside.

radio3353

How much does that device weigh? Two or three pounds? It looks deadly in an accident. Don't underestimate impact forces. A job done right would have that hard mounted, not secured by Velcro or tape.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Delivers1234,

Not sure if I posted this before, but here it is:

My dad has a 2014 Chevy Equinox, looks like that's what you have, too. He is running an FT-7900.

The RF deck (radio guts) is tucked under the center console with a small external speaker down low on the console. Power is directly off the battery under the hood. The control head is mounted under the radio/HVAC stack in the center console.

0b4e81a8-3a31-4c4b-903c-05794995eca7_zpsfsczbyty.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What ever you choose, make sure everything is anchored well. As stated several times above, anything not well secured can become a "missile hazard" in a collision.
Something heavy, like the RF deck for these radios, really needs to be secured well. Double sided tape, velcro, etc. is really risky. I don't even like using the cheap sheet metal screws that come with most radios. I take the time to through-bolt everything with nylock nuts and large washers or a reinforcement plate when going through plastic. The roads in this part of California are in pretty bad shape, the vibration from hitting pot holes, etc. will quickly strip out the sheet metal screws. Taking a vehicle off road is even more harsh on the mounting.

You can get away with velcro or the really strong 3M double side tape for really light stuff, like the control heads on these radios. Not ideal, but it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.