DPS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_chris

Does anyone know what kind of Mobile and Portable radios DPS uses?
I know they are UHF, but I was wondering what manufacturer/model.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
dps radios

Harris liberty portables and not sure about mobiles, maybe xg series or mtorola apx

Last edited:

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
A Service Unit had a TK390 a few weeks ago, he was helping a driver change a tire and he saw mine on my belt while I was working on a gate operator next to them, he joked saying I stole his radio.

AZ_chris

Thanks guys.
Americam - hey Chris, it's WQYH756!

I'm surprised they are using Kenwood and Harris radios, AFAIK they (Harris) only did Digital now. Must be older - are the M/ACom?

Also, does anyone know what kind of Vehicle Repeaters they are using?

Last edited:

radioguru6613

Does anyone know what kind of Mobile and Portable radios DPS uses?
I know they are UHF, but I was wondering what manufacturer/model.

Trooper that I saw yesterday pulling someone over during rush hour on the 10 was walking with a Motorola APX. From what one of their guys told me, they ditched the Harris radios a while back and went to the dual band APX to use with Phoenix G Deck.

AZ_chris

That's kinda what I would think they would use, a dual-band radio, at least the Phoenix Metro area, so they can communicate with Phx PD on RWC. The rest of the state I would think they would be using regular Kenwood/Harris/Motorola/whatever UHF radios, maybe APX's in some areas that use Digital as well or a separate radio in the car like CHP for Interop.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
The word I got was the YRCS coverage does not cover all DPS areas so the primary use of the APX radios is internal interoperability with the legacy 460 system. Cars in Yuma still have the 460 radios installed, however some do not. I went to a exercise some months ago and the had the Harris multiband portables

radioguru6613

The word I got was the YRCS coverage does not cover all DPS areas so the primary use of the APX radios is internal interoperability with the legacy 460 system. Cars in Yuma still have the 460 radios installed, however some do not. I went to a exercise some months ago and the had the Harris multiband portables

That doesn't make sense, why would they need to interop with themselves that would be operate which in the case of DPS they haven't left UHF so the legacy system is still the only system they use. Now other agencies may be using the Yuma system but outside of interop on G deck for events and stuff, DPS Troopers are UHF.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
That doesn't make sense, why would they need to interop with themselves that would be operate which in the case of DPS they haven't left UHF so the legacy system is still the only system they use. Now other agencies may be using the Yuma system but outside of interop on G deck for events and stuff, DPS Troopers are UHF.

Not quite true. DPS is most definitely using the YRCS/AZWIN TRS system around the state.

The non-patrol DPS guys are very active on it, mostly encrypted.

Catching quite a few of the Zebra, Ida, and Nora units on CI-Central and CI-South.

Patrol, specifically, the motor guys, were testing the ability to communicate within the Phoenix area on the local TRS systems, as well as, their legacy systems.

If you aren't looking there, you might be missing some activity. I travel all around the state on a routine basis, and can tell you that more and more there is activity on the YRCS/AZWIN TRS sites.

rwier

I thought "YRCS/AZWIN", sounds like a good name for a new Favorites List. But, I am drawing a blank, both in the Sentinel DB and the RRDB, for "AZWIN"?

KB7MIB

WARICS (Western Arizona Regional Interoperability Communications System) was the original name for the YRCS. It is no longer used.

I think Flano is the only one who refers to it by AZWIN. I think he compares the YRCS to other statewide radio systems, such as the Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi Wireless Information Networks (AWIN, LWIN, MSWIN), and the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN).

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

DPS used to have mobile extenders, or "RATPACKS", and they used 154.935, IIRC. They no longer do.

John
Peoria

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
WARICS (Western Arizona Regional Interoperability Communications System) was the original name for the YRCS. It is no longer used.

I think Flano is the only one who refers to it by AZWIN. I think he compares the YRCS to other statewide radio systems, such as the Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi Wireless Information Networks (AWIN, LWIN, MSWIN), and the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN).

John
Peoria

Well, I am not the only one :)

I found reference to it several times within RR.com.

I also had at one time a power point, which was lost during computer failures :(, issued by the DPS Wireless Systems Bureau, which was presented at the April 2013 at AZ PSCC meeting, which detailed on a map the towers that were operated by YRCS and the towers which were operated by AZWIN. I found the video presentation and made some screen captures of the map. It is poor quality, but I will try and clean up.

Another source that I recently found is from Pinal County, where they detail out all of the P25 TRS systems within Arizona, including the Arizona Wireless Integrated Network, detailed on the Power Point screen as a "Partnership and sharing of resources with YRCS".

Another source I recently found is the Maricopa County 12030-RFP P25 Radio System Infrastructure Upgrade document, which includes "AZWIN - Arizona Wireless Integrated Network" in the terms definition at the end of the document.

I've also found a few more minor references to AZWIN. For some reason, it is just not talked about in any detail, except for the presentation made by Keith Rogers, the Manager of the AZ DPS Wireless Systems Bureau.

It's not just in my head :O

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Here are two screen captures:

The map is taken from the AZ PSCC presentation done in April 2013.

The power point was taken from the Pinal County P25 Systems presentation.

I will be adjusting the YRCS system to reflect the AZWIN integration, soon :) I've been on the road a bit, but should be back soon.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• AZWIN Screen from Pinal County PPT about P25 Systems within AZ.jpg
    AZWIN Screen from Pinal County PPT about P25 Systems within AZ.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 901
  • YRCS - AzWINS Radio Coverage Map 004a.jpg
    YRCS - AzWINS Radio Coverage Map 004a.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 936
Status
Not open for further replies.