Sullivan Cty Kingsport TN where did they go???

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

Was picking up Kingsport but have lost them. They are on Tacn now, I think. Using sites, Bluff City, Kingsport, and Sullivan Cty, with a Sullivan Cty Group and hear nothing now. Have they gone silent??

teufler

I have all programmed in, so that should not matter. I am helping a listen out in Va, just across the border. I have programmed correctly many times, now just nothing. Kingsport Chg 3 is encrypted, sullivan county is encrypted, maybe all Kingsport is now encrypted.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I know all of the Sheriff dept is encrypted and kingsport and bristol had a few tac channels encrypted before today.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the entire system is slated for full-time encryption later this next week per multiple volunteers in the county.

teufler

Going double double secret secret. St Louis City went ":dark" about 2 years ago, then the county went "dark" about 2 months ago. Fortunately there are a few counties around, and the State HP, that are open and no plans to go "dark".

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
They are using the Mutual Aid Channels temporarily until the other normal operations channels get switched over.

zachgallop

We need to put a stop to this level of mass encryption. We need to petition, call them, email them, and contact the media about this situation. I think sometimes they forget we have a right to petition them with our grievances.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
We need to put a stop to this level of mass encryption. We need to petition, call them, email them, and contact the media about this situation. I think sometimes they forget we have a right to petition them with our grievances.

You are exactly right. Make your voice heard loudly but very civilly...just don't threaten as that will likely shut down the conversation.

teufler

If the cities get a grant or the cities have a budget, its use it or lose it. If the cities in Sullivan county have gone to encryption, everyone will be using the same encryption codes so all cities will be able to talk to each other, if they care to talk to another city. Possible the news sources have gotten radios that they can monitor with, then only people hurt will be the "monitoring": hobbyists, and we are few to the many that don't have scanners and really don't see why anyone would want to sit around listening to people talk numbers. We will be acclimated to listening to airplane traffic, hours of boredom broken by start moments of terror.

zachgallop

Any encryption popping up yet? I am working on a petition and getting a list of emails. But I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Last time I worked on it nobody bothered to sign one so I may not even worry about it.

teufler

most of the new scanners just overloking encryption or don't indicate encryption so its hard to say, "showing up", other than favorite frequencies-talk groups-channels are mysteriously coming up silent. Either they have gone to something new, crime has disappeared (fat chance) or trhey have gone encrypted.

zachgallop

most of the new scanners just overloking encryption or don't indicate encryption so its hard to say, "showing up", other than favorite frequencies-talk groups-channels are mysteriously coming up silent. Either they have gone to something new, crime has disappeared (fat chance) or trhey have gone encrypted.

New scanners such as the Uniden BCD436HP do indicate encryption if you watch the screen. Where it would normally indicate P25 and DMR indications, it instead indicate ENC for encryption. Also you can usually tell also that the channel will pop up for a brief second and disappear.

Whistler scanners display a capital 'E" when receiving encrypted transmissions. There's an option in the setup to set the audio to quiet, the actual garbled transmission or a tone (I currently hear a phone busy signal) when receiving these.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
One of the worst articles I have ever seen. It doesnt come close to explaining any real reasons for all of these.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Perfect opportunity for someone there to contact that station with the other side of the story (how being able to know what is going on ensures greater safety for the public, whom they serve; the media has a right to know, etc.) and encourage the station to keep digging and keep covering all angles. If the right reporter would do the piece it could generate enough action from the general public that they rethink their decision. Point to the fact that many other departments are doing the opposite these days and opening up their comms. Has to be done professionally but any reporter worth their salt should have the talent for reporting on it and raising the tough questions which leaves the public with a "wait, what? no this isn't good!" mindset after the piece runs. Someone there contact them and encourage them to do a follow-up piece asking why they want to keep the public in the dark and not let them know when certain areas of the city/county are unsafe (due to a crime and a fleeing suspect, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.