Aaarrgghhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitt

Premium Subscriber
I just got ws1065 scanner. Downloaded the programming software, got the subscription here and I think I've got it programmed, but when I turn it on I've got nothing. It says "scanning" , I see the frequencies flickering on the screen but it never stops. Sorry if I sound goofy but I've never used a scanner before. What am I doing wrong?

KI7HYI

I just got ws1065 scanner. Downloaded the programming software, got the subscription here and I think I've got it programmed, but when I turn it on I've got nothing. It says "scanning" , I see the frequencies flickering on the screen but it never stops. Sorry if I sound goofy but I've never used a scanner before. What am I doing wrong?

You could try rocking the squelch knob back and forth to see if it will stop on any channel.
I'd normally assume that you have it programmed for local frequencies and attached to an antenna, but this is the only way I know of to confirm that it is actually receiving anything.
Good luck.

QDP2012

As was just mentioned, squelch is often the culprit.

Also, if you are in the US, you can usually try monitoring one of the NOAA Weather channels to verify that the scanner works at all; opening the squelch helps with this test too. Then, after verifying that you can receive at least one of the NOAA Weather channels, try the Scan mode again on your local channels with the squelch as close to open as you can get it.

Hope this helps,

stitt

Premium Subscriber
Weather works. The other night it was picking up activity where there was a pipeline explosion in a neighboring state but there was a fatality accident in my city and nothing about that. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the scanner. I'm a big fan of manuals but this one might as well be written in Greek.

KI7HYI

Weather works. The other night it was picking up activity where there was a pipeline explosion in a neighboring state but there was a fatality accident in my city and nothing about that. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the scanner. I'm a big fan of manuals but this one might as well be written in Greek.

Sounds like the Yaesu VR-5000 and the AOR AR-2700, both of which are totally unintuitive and largely inoperable without the manuals. All foreign manufacturers should retain native english speakers to write their manuals.
I guess I'd go back to the antenna. What kind are you using? Do you know how far you are from the NOAA weather station?

stitt

Premium Subscriber
Like I said the weather works but I was listening and it's only weather reports from all over Missouri. I'm in Kansas. The big fire was also in MO. Why would it only pick up stuff from another state? Also, I don't know what squelch is open means. Turned up or down? Sorry to sound so doofy but I really am a newby at this.

QDP2012

Like I said the weather works but I was listening and it's only weather reports from all over Missouri. I'm in Kansas. The big fire was also in MO. Why would it only pick up stuff from another state?
Since the weather works, that suggests either antenna (including scanner-location), or programming. Since KI7HYI has already asked about the antenna, I'll ask about programming...

If you programmed the frequencies manually (instead of downloading them from RR into the scanner), is there any chance that something got goofed-up, possibly accidentally flipping adjacent-digits or something?

Also, I don't know what squelch is open means. Turned up or down?
"Open squelch" is when you turn the squelch-knob to the position that allows the radio to receive all signals, often resulting in a "white-noise/static-noise" sound. Usually this is done by turning the knob to the left/counter-clockwise.

"Setting squelch" is when you choose the desired frequency in the scanner/radio, and then first move the squelch-knob to open-squelch, and then move the knob in the other direction slowly until you reach the position where the static (or unwanted stray-signal) becomes quiet.

"Full Squelch" is when you turn the squelch-knob as far away from "open squelch" as is physically possible, usually by turning the knob all the way to the right. This limits most signals except very-strong and very-close signals, and is usually the last thing most people want to choose as a setting.

Sorry to sound so doofy but I really am a newby at this.
We all started learning at some point, don't get frustrated, just stay inquisitive.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

stitt

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded from RR. I just use the antenna that came with the radio.Maybe I installed it wrong? Thank you for answering my questions and trying to help.

QDP2012

I downloaded from RR. I just use the antenna that came with the radio.Maybe I installed it wrong? Thank you for answering my questions and trying to help.

If you are able to put the scanner into "manual" mode and navigate through the active ScanLists and can thereby verify that the frequencies did successfully download from RR into the scanner, and that they are not Locked-Out, then I would expect there not to be a problem with the frequencies.

If you have verified that the desired ScanList(s) is(are) active when the scanner is in Scan mode, then I would expect the scanner to properly scan those frequencies, and would begin to look for other culprits, like antenna malfunction or bad antenna connection, or bad scanner-location (possibly near something that is blocking the desired signal), etc.

If nothing else works, you might try to completely reset the scanner, so it clears all programming and settings, and try to download from RR again. The above link to the ETRM manual can help explain how to do this.

Hope this helps,

KI7HYI

Like I said the weather works but I was listening and it's only weather reports from all over Missouri. I'm in Kansas. The big fire was also in MO. Why would it only pick up stuff from another state? Also, I don't know what squelch is open means. Turned up or down? Sorry to sound so doofy but I really am a newby at this.

Where in Kansas? There are a lot of signals that emanate from Kansas City, Missouri that can be heard in Kansas that might be quite Missouri-centric.
Squelch is open when sound is heard from the speaker. If there is a signal being received, you'll hear the demodulated signal. If it is a "dead carrier" or unmodulated signal, you'll hear whatever noise is in the signal, if you turn up the audio. If there is no signal, you'll hear noise. Don't worry about being doofy, everyone is a newbie at some point. If you bought the receiver from a local store, you might want to take it back for a check out/demonstration. If not, you might want to track down a local monitoring club, amatuer radio club, or even a short wave listener who could Elmer you a bit. Hang in there, you'll understand soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.