PRO 2022 still good to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

Yes.

For trains, weather, taxis, ham radio, aircraft, boats and taxi cabs....maybe not so much for cops and firemen.

br0adband

The simple question is: do you have analog communications in your area happening that you'd like to monitor? If the answer is yes, and the scanner works as designed, then you're good to go. If however the comms you want to monitor have switched over to using digital radio equipment and digital formats like P25, DMR, NXDN, or whatever then no that scanner won't be of much use but but but...

If that scanner can be tapped aka a discriminator tap is installed meaning you or someone that knows how to do it can install a cable that will connect to the discriminator circuit to provide the raw baseband signal (the pure radio signal unfiltered) you could then feed that signal into a computer's sound card which would then be able to pass the signal to software like DSD+ which is a Windows-based application that decodes digital formats and you'd get some more use from that scanner. As long as what you might want to monitor - even the digital formats - is using conventional style channels/frequencies (that stay the same) and not trunking systems (where the comms can hop frequencies) there's potential for monitoring.

Basically it's good for the stuff that's not quite as popular as in most areas of the US and the rest of the world are moving towards using digital hardware more often than not, especially any kind of law enforcement/police agencies, fire and EMS agencies, and government related whether it's city, state, or Federal.

If it still works you can find a use for it, absolutely, but it more than likely has so many limitations compared to newer hardware. Looks like the Pro-2022 can't cover the Military Air band (225-380 MHz AM mode) so no monitoring of military aircraft at all but it could be used for listening into local Civilian Air band from 118-137 MHz AM mode without any issues at all.

n2psl

usable...

It can't get trunked comms, of course, but it can still work as a handy receiver. I did a simple discriminator tap on mine, and am presently using it to pick up AIS messages from the St. Lawrence Seaway which is nearby. I've also used it for the LEO wx satellites, ACARS, etc.. Works fine for those purposes, in addition to general non-trunked stuff.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The OP hasn't been on for 16 months. Guess he got his answer.
Larry

A shame to see someone give up on the hobby over having an outdated scanner. That scanner serves no purpose today to the serious scanner person (as opposed to a PRO-2006 which is still better in some bands than the latest and greatest digital "one size fits all" scanners). It's simply a shelf item at this point at best, for those that collect scanners, or maybe it could work for someone in analog territory if they are on a very tight budget, at most. I'm pretty sure I owned that model, and that it was the easiest to open cell phone coverage on, just by clipping a diode that was out in the open.

bigcam406

When i bought mine years ago, it had the blue sticker attached to the top of it meaning the cell freqs were already unblocked from the factory. Great listening back then for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.