• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bluetooth Headset beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
When listening to the Bluetooth headset, I hear a pre voice 2 tone beep and a beep after the voice. Is there a method to turn the beeps off so I won't hear them?

I do not hear the beeps when monitoring without the Bluetooth headset.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain. I've tried five different BT devices so far, and all have had this issue. I think it's an older Bluetooth thing. The G5 only supports the older BT 2.0 devices, maybe 2.2, but new BT are up to 4.0 now I think? Anyway, we're hoping there will be a firmware fix someday, but I've kinda given up hope on it. FWIW, the BT earpiece they sell at Scannermaster is a little less annoying in it's beeping than the other devices I've tried, but it's not ideal by any means. One of the posters in this forum found a device that didn't beep but had other issues he was able to fix with a mod.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Blue Tooth headphones(for stereo listening) have the annoying beeping. Has anyone tried any of those? I picked up a Uniden BT earphone/mic (for cellphone use) on sale at Office Depot last week for $9.99, and it has the beeps too.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I tried a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fits and they had the same annoying beep.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'm thinking the beeps are a "feature" of the G5, that would benefit from an option to turn off from a PPS menu, and or the G5 menu.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll save my money. :)

I also have a Motorola BT earphone/mic, but it plays a little musical tune with the beeps. I guess the Unication is essentially activating/deactivating a phone call for each transmission. It would be neat if they could change the way that worked.

I tried a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fits and they had the same annoying beep.

stephend

Bluetooth Headphone Problems

I have a set of Bose Bluetooth Headphones. When listening to music (from phone), I kept hearing a beep sound and also sometimes a second of silence. I found that other Bluetooth devices were on in the house. I shut off the bluetooth of my laptop. This fixed the problem. I believe the problem was interference. Hope this helps.

Stephen

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll save my money. :)

I also have a Motorola BT earphone/mic, but it plays a little musical tune with the beeps. I guess the Unication is essentially activating/deactivating a phone call for each transmission. It would be neat if they could change the way that worked.

It's a battery save feature. Look at the talk time of the headset and standby time.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It's not interference. The beeps are before and after the voice is heard, a normal pattern. It's much like a Roger beep. I also noted that the tone changes to a twilight zone jingle when the encrypted channel is present at my location.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Each of my BT devices make a different sound, so I don't think it's Unication feature. I think it's an incoming call tone built into the BT device. Bluetooth was originally for use with cell phones, so I think they interpret each transmission as an incoming call. BT devices don't do this when listening to music or broadcast radio because the signal is constant. I think Unication could fix this by sending a continuous signal to the device, but as phirephoto mentioned that would drain the battery much faster of both the G5 and the BT device. But it would sure be nice to have the option! I would really enjoy listening to the G5 through one of my nice BT speakers at home, and I could power both off USB so no battery worries. Also could run the G5 through a BT plugged into my car AUX jack and have sound through the stereo speakers. Works great with my other radios.

Last edited:

cpetraglia

The beeps/noises and not coming from the pager. I have a few BT receivers that do not beep. They have various other issues. Random disconnects, background noise etc. The best sounding board I have found is a SURE AA-AB41136V110. This is a BT 2.1 ver. 12Vdc And pretty high quality compared to some of the ones direct from China I have found. No mods needed. It has one issue that I have learned to live with. Once a transmission starts, the volume slowly increases and then levels off. It's not terrible. It will run from 5V dc and this seems to minimize the volume issue. You will need headphones or a small amp/speakers setup. The pager actually has excellent audio quality using the SURE. (No beeps/noises) PM me for more details. I have been fighting this BT thing since May. I agree with Sparklehorse, a continuous signal from the pager would solve this problem. It may cause battery drain, but I use mine on my desk always powered by USB. no issues.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The beeps/noises and not coming from the pager. I have a few BT receivers that do not beep. They have various other issues. Random disconnects, background noise etc. The best sounding board I have found is a SURE AA-AB41136V110. This is a BT 2.1 ver.

I agree with Sparklehorse, a continuous signal from the pager would solve this problem. It may cause battery drain, but I use mine on my desk always powered by USB. no issues.

That's nonsense. There should be no reason to have to shop for the best Bluetooth headset to match a pager. Just make an option for continuous output if that's what needs to be done. I'm using Beats wireless high end Bluetooth headset now and it has the same issue. As soon as the signal is present the been steps up 3 beeps, then when the reply to the comm I hear 4 beeps. It's not usable in this configuration, IMHO.
Just fix it!

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
That's nonsense. There should be no reason to have to shop for the best Bluetooth headset to match a pager. Just make an option for continuous output if that's what needs to be done. I'm using Beats wireless high end Bluetooth headset now and it has the same issue. As soon as the signal is present the been steps up 3 beeps, then when the reply to the comm I hear 4 beeps. It's not usable in this configuration, IMHO.
Just fix it!

That would require both the G5 and the headset to be constantly 'transmitting' - which would drastically reduce the battery life of both the pager and the headset...

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
FWIW my G5 performed flawlessly with the Rockrock BT adapter and JBL Flip speaker prior to the two most recent firmware updates. I confirmed it by reverting back - no beeps at the beginning of transmissions. I would have left it but that was before they fixed the priority interruption when the priority box wasn't checked problem.

cpetraglia

I don't know if this is related or not. I too have noticed a change in audio output via BT with the update R11P. There is a certain amount of distortion and also a random high level of distortion. Listening to the same TG, every now and then there is a high pitched background noise that stays with the transmission. Then the next time around it is normal. I reverted back to R11N2 and am waiting for another update. Phase II we hope.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I believe what your looking for is BTLE, Bluetooth Low Energy. With the implementation of this BT devices can remain connected with an always on connection.
Older BT does what you mentioned earlier, it connects and disconnects. So likely the BT device its self was beeping when an incoming transmission was heard and another beep to let you know the audio is gone. They may need to upgrade the actual BT chip to a newer one that supports BTLE. Just my guess.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
I believe what your looking for is BTLE, Bluetooth Low Energy. With the implementation of this BT devices can remain connected with an always on connection.
Older BT does what you mentioned earlier, it connects and disconnects. So likely the BT device its self was beeping when an incoming transmission was heard and another beep to let you know the audio is gone. They may need to upgrade the actual BT chip to a newer one that supports BTLE. Just my guess.

I would love to be able to use a headset, but finding a BT 2.0 headset is a PITA - I'm looking for like an earbud or cell phone type. I currently have Bragi Dash, but it's 4.0 only. :(

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
FWIW my G5 performed flawlessly with the Rockrock BT adapter and JBL Flip speaker prior to the two most recent firmware updates. I confirmed it by reverting back - no beeps at the beginning of transmissions. I would have left it but that was before they fixed the priority interruption when the priority box wasn't checked problem.

Interesting. Perhaps there is hope for this issue. Was there beeps at the end of transmission? Also do you know what release this was?

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Perhaps there is hope for this issue. Was there beeps at the end of transmission? Also do you know what release this was?

There were no beeps at the beginning or at the end. And I agree - perhaps there is hope since the change occurred with a firmware update. The firmware that I was running ended in R11J.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As long as the connection is kept always on you should only hear a beep when it initially connects. The beep typically generated by the headset to let you know its connected. In stand by mode the headset also does a beep to let you know its connected and passing audio, like an incoming call. Then when the call is over it hangs up. Its a stand by that was in 2.0 and not in later versions, at least not that im aware of.
With the advent of stereo BT and Low Energy came the always connected mode.
Its possible Unication can tweak their settings to keep an always on connection. It will be more of a battery drain, how much im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.