Looking at my options...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I not exactly new when it comes to scanners, however with the integration of digital formats in my area, I'm at a loss.

I'm looking into getting a scanner for my truck (yes, I'm legal to have one). Throughout my area locally and with adjacent counties, we have both NXDN conventional channels, NXDN trunking and P25 trunking. (No, I'm not counting the P25 conventional channels used by KSP.)

I know that currently there is no options for NXDN, but what do you all recommend? I've done some research, and whistler is the only one I'm seeing that is looking to offer NXDN in an update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
From the scan master website:

Q: What is Whistler offering?

A: Whistler has announced updates for its WS1080 and WS1088 (handheld) and WS1095 and WS1098 (Desktop/mobile) scanners for DMR and MotoTRBO. These are free updates that are installed by updating the firmware in EZ-Scan. Again, ScannerMaster will be happy to install these for you as part of our Setup & Optimize service. No ProVoice upgrades have been announced for Whistler scanners.

In addition, Whistler has announced 2 new scanners. The TRX-1 (handheld) and TRX-2 (desktop/mobile) will work on DMR and MotoTRBO out of the box and will be updatable later for NXDN. (Expected about January 2017.)

Q: What about NXDN?

A: NXDN is a separate digital format used by some public safety agencies and businesses. It is slated to be used by the nations railroads once the required updates are made to the railroad’s infrastructure and radio fleet.

Whistler has already announced that NXDN will be available sometime in late 2016/early 2017 for its TRX-1 and TRX-2 scanners but will not be available for others. Uniden has not announced any NXDN updates yet but has said they are working on “other formats”.

I don't think you really grasped what I asked for. Yes, I put what I would like to end up monitoring. Yes, I also stated that I have done my research. I asked about YOUR recommendation for a scanner.

Sent from my RealPad MA7BX2 using Tapatalk

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
"I not exactly new when it comes to scanners, however with the integration of digital formats in my area, I'm at a loss."

Sorry I misinterpreted your request and wasted so much of your precious time reading my post. I thought you were at a loss. Good luck finding your scanner. I will trouble you no further.

Nasby

In addition to the two Whistler models mentioned, there is talk that Uniden will offer a NXDN update for the 436HP and 536HP scanners.

It would likely cost an additional $50-$60 to the base price of the scanner.

I realize that until the updates and such come out for NXDN scanning, I can't expect much there. But I do know that P25 is something I can monitor. Where I'm at the loss is, which scanner would be best. My last one done a few trunking, but never had any that done digital modes. I had looked into the Uniden Bearcat BCD996 at one point a few years back (this was before the inevitable induction of NXDN in the area) cause of the P25 capabilities. Never did cause at that time it was a little out of my price range. (Bill's and family first) But with the addition of NXDN, and several new scanner manufacturers (or new names rather), I just don't have a clue as to which would be best. I guess even though I am an amateur radio operator, and I've done research, I'm trying to reach out for opinions. My intent is for opinions and recommendations from the members.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There has been talk that Uniden will hopefully provide a NXDN update for the 436/536, but that's all it's been - talk. And it is their history that they generally don't tip their hand until the very last moment anyway, so speculation is really baseless (and maybe misleading in the long run) at this point.

The only NXDN update that we have any comfort level on is the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2, supposedly by year's end. However, we don't know which version of NXDN will be supported (IDAS or NEXEDGE, or both?), or whether NXDN trunking will be supported. Perhaps - and this is sheer speculation on my part - they will elect to do conventional first, then move on to trunking with a later update. This would be a logical way to proceed.

Mike

In my County, there are a handful of agencies using NXDN conventional, along with an adjacent county that is mostly NXDN conventional. 3 counties to my south that are using NXDN trunking. 1 county I travel thru almost daily recently transitioned to P25 phase 1. Of course KSP is P25 conventional. So I have a variety of digital conventional and trunking around me.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
FWIW I have a Uniden 536 in my truck, connected to a GPS device and has an amplified external speaker. I'm very happy with it and recommend it.

The GPS feature is great because I do some traveling around the Frankfort/Louisville/E-town triangle. The GPS turns "things" on and off as I approach an area. I don't know if Whistler has a similar feature in their new mobile scanner.

The hitch is NXDN. Whistler said there will be an upgrade for their scanners at some point. So if that is critical, you might opt for the Whistler, because it has at least been promised (another FWIW).

So like most everything, there are no clear answers.

If after giving time to see where scanner manufacturers go with NXDN and it happens to be "nowhere", there is the option of getting a used NXDN radio and having it re-programmed as receive only for your area.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The Homepatrol 2 is an almost effortless scanner that will do the P25 systems your interested in. The GPS function is a breeze to use and very handy while traveling. In a truck you might want to add an external speaker...I've tried the 536 and the 996P2 and for mobile use feel the HP2 is the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.