• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk690 which programming cable to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GSP

Gents,
I have recently acquired a Tk690H and I'm attempting to figure out what programming cable configuration is the right one. Does the windows based kpg44d work only with USB programming cables or can it work with a serial cable as well ? I have come across conflicting information that would suggest the serial cable only works dos based kpg44d . What have you found to be the best match for programming these rigs ? I've also heard tell of programming via the rear connector as well . Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Gents,

I have recently acquired a Tk690H and I'm attempting to figure out what programming cable configuration is the right one. Does the windows based kpg44d work only with USB programming cables or can it work with a serial cable as well ? I have come across conflicting information that would suggest the serial cable only works dos based kpg44d . What have you found to be the best match for programming these rigs ? I've also heard tell of programming via the rear connector as well . Thanks

A USB cable should work fine with Windows based KPG software. All my Kenwood LMR Programming cables are USB.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
A USB cable should work fine with Windows based KPG software. All my Kenwood LMR Programming cables are USB.

At one time I did use a serial cable for RJ-45 equipped mobile radios(I had a TK760) with a RS232<->USB adaptor. It worked fine.

Gents,

If all you have is serial cables, they will work fine with KPG-44d, even with a serial<-> USB adaptor.

That being said, good USB cables are cheap, I have 3 for my Kenwood radios. The hamster style 2 pin, the multi pin side connector(TK-280/TK2180/NX200 ect) and a RJ-45 for my LMR mobiles(TK760hg/TK8180/NX700 ect) all have been used in both 32bit and 64bit operating systems, from Vista to Windows 7pro.

All my USB cables were in the US$20-ish range plus shipping.

If you have a hardware serial port, great, use serial cables, if all you have is USB ports, grab USB cables, they just work with Kenwoods software(ASSuming you install the drivers properly. FWIW, all my cables use the same USB->serial chips, FTDI IIRC.

SpockVulcan

Premium Subscriber
I have had very good luck spinning up a Windows XP virtual machine and host device mapping a serial adapter or physical port to the VM, I would get one that has an integrated serial adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.