What scanner for Grand Rapids MI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryc8171

I mostly want to listen to police, fire, and ambulance. I was looking at BC75xlt as many of the frequencies in the database for Grand Rapids are within the specs. I don't remember seeing AMR ambulance frequency. But after reading forum posts for hours I'm confused what I need. Do I need a digital scanner and/or one with trunking? Any help would be appreciated.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
If you're only listening to Grand Rapids you should be OK. Depends though on the future of scanning there. Start with the BC75...if things change, you can always upgrade to a newer scanner. All depends on the wallet! Hope that helps

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
I'm from Muskegon. General information I gather is that the entire area is shifting to digital. I would get a digital unit as that is my plan. If not now, you will in the near future. Ottawa County has shifted to digital as has some of Allegan County. Muskegon County is starting the shift as well.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Your best info should have been to ask in the Michigan forum.

Don't waste any money on the 75xlt, it will work for maybe a year is all till the switch to digital. In the mean time you can get by with any cheap analog radio, if you have one. Then in the meantime you can look for any special sales potentially on digitals

I'll add be sure to look at digitals that have phase II capabilities as rumor has it in a year or more MI may go to phase II digital from the current phase I. If they do so radios that are only phase I won't work and you will have to buy again!

See http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...n-forum/341690-kent-county-mpscs-article.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...ow-25-million-fund-police-radio-upgrades.html

jack3726

I would say the area based on what I have read will be changing allot over the next 1-2 years. Ottawa and Kent will eventually be going to MPSCS from what it appears. I would be looking at purchasing a digital scanner eventually.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
I think this page has just about all of the phase II scanners currently on the market, keeping in mind while this site does sell scanners, and is a good company to deal with, you will always want to check around for the best price.

Digital P25 Phase II Scanners

terryc8171

Thank you all. I'm looking forward to hours of reading the forums and other valuable information here. There's obviously tons more about scanning that I need to learn. I'll be better prepared to make a purchase decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.