• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Change Head Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraultra

Feed Provider
So I got a MCS2000 Type II. I have the Dual head option with Type II Heads. When I read the radio it comes up with Type III. How do I changes this back to the Type II for the heads I have? Thanks!!!

cobraultra

Feed Provider
Great page Skypilot. Thanks
So Looks like i have a Type 3 according to the Model number.
I have heard of people changing there Type 2 over to a Type 3.
So i wonder if there is a way to change it back? or in this case change it initially.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Control heads have become relatively cheap on ebay for these radios. I would just get the correct control head for it to make life easy for yourself. Changing the model number of the radio could be done with the proper software tools but why bother downgrading your radio to a model II.

cobraultra

Feed Provider
Yeah i have seen then online but i have this setup for a dual head system and really didnt want to buy two new heads. I have the FDB tool if that will do it. I also have access to radios that are type 2 if i need to read it from.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
FDB may work. It's purpose was for modifying radio features, not sure if you can change the model with it. You could always experiment and see what happens. Be sure to save your original s-records before starting! Read a model II and a model III and look for the obscure differences. It may lie in one of those unmarked blocks. That's where I found the block to increase the number of channels in these radios.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
MTSX Lab, from what I have read you write an s-record of the desired model with no pack/unpack. I am getting ready to attempt it on my VHF Model 2 110w, trying to turn it in to a Model 3..

Model 3 Heads w/ mic $25 on eBay, I would get that.

ke5eua

MTSX Lab, from what I have read you write an s-record of the desired model with no pack/unpack. I am getting ready to attempt it on my VHF Model 2 110w, trying to turn it in to a Model 3..

Model 3 Heads w/ mic $25 on eBay, I would get that.

I have two MCS 2000 radios,

M01KHN9PW5AN 136-174 25W Type 3
M01RHM9PW5BN 403-470 25W Type 2

What I want to do is get a type 3 head and swap on to the uhf radio. Since I have already read and programmed these radios with CPS would the RSS MTSX lab even work with them?

Were you able to convert your type 2 into a type 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.