DMR and ProVoice Release for BCDxxxP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Many of you saw the announcement in the main Uniden forum, but I'll put it out here, too, for discussion and assistance. You can now download and apply the firmware using BC_VUP3. You can also read the DMR/PV page for these models (DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki) as well as the firmware release notes (BCD325P2FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki and BCD996P2FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki) which also include updated protocol documents.

I sent these specs to the various 3rd party software offers a while back, and at least one of them has an update ready to go. I'll let them announce their own updates, though.

The only thing I'm waiting on (eagerly with the rest of you) is for IT to finish setting up the purchasing system so that you can actually buy the update. I'm hoping for this to happen by EOD tomorrow (12/20). But, I'm at their mercy.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
One warning...

This is about the update to the 996 and 325, not about what you wanted Uniden to do or what you thought they might do.

Please keep it on topic.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Good deal, I love my P2's (996P2) and am looking forward to it.

I figured since they would do Phase 2, which is basically TDMA, they could be modified to do DMR, which is basically the same thing.

Good work, Uniden, the 996 series scanners are workhorses! I hope it goes smoothly.

One question, Color Code is pretty irrelevant info to be shown on a scanner, that just tells a DMR radio that is roaming what tower to switch to, why not show the talkgroup instead? The talkgroup is VERY important, as it shows who (what "group" IE; traffic, patrol, EMS, Fire, etc.) is using the channel....

Last edited:

JamesO

Thanks UPMan !! Was the HP2 also updated ?

Have to assume the HP2 will be included at some point??

Seems the Phase 2 support was likely used across the board in the hardware platforms and may be similiar.

I would be surprised if the HP2 was not capable of supporting a similiar update, but we will need to wait until Uniden officially announces something for the HP2.

What we may all benefit from is all of this extra firmware and coding can and will make the software/firmware team much stronger, more efficient and hopefully be able to respond to bugs and find ways to improve the products over time. The more you work with something, the better you understand the platform and can figure out how to do things differently and hopefully better.

There is a HELL of a lot going on now with the Phase 2, DMR, MotoTRBO, NXDN and so forth. No longer just plain vanilla FM and P25.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
This is a pleasant surprise and will resurrect my somewhat dormant 325P2, which was more or less relegated to a "Close Call" receiver. I'll do the DMR update, no ProVoice within the sound of my voice.

Thanks!

wise871

Database Admin
Figured I might as well register my scanner on My Uniden but the full 996P2 serial will not fit in the space. Whats the proper format? I have SN3782xxxxxxxxx X=last 10 digits. On a side note I updated my firmware with no issues.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I followed the instructions to add the ESN but saw no link to do so after registering. I'm guessing maybe this is a result of the IT work Paul mentioned in the original post.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
They want the serial number on the back of the scanner.
378Zxxxxxxxxxx

The ESN box should show up tomorrow for that ESN info.

Serial number has the letter Z in it.
ESN replaces the letter 'Z' with '2'.

Now, head over to http://my.uniden.com and register your scanner, if you have not already done so. When you first register, use your scanner's physical serial number (i.e. 379Z38001234*). Once registered, you will see a link to add an ESN to your scanner below to your registered scanner. Click that link and follow the on-screen prompts to enter the ESN and Checksum you recorded above (we enter the first 5 digits of the ESN for you, you only have to enter the last 9 digits). Then, click the Purchase link to complete your transaction. Your key will be emailed to you, and will also appear next to your registered scanner.
* If you cannot physically access your scanner's serial number, Replace the "260" in your ESN with the letter Z. For example: 37926038001234 = 379Z38001234
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks for the update. Even after all these years the My Uniden serial # format still drives me crazy.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
So I Have Bcd396XT? Is bcd325P2 similar? Can I transfer my data to it? Using ARC-XT?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

KC1UA

Database Admin
The Purchase process is now live!

And I have a problem right out of the chute.

I absolutely have the correct serial number, ESN, and checksum entered. I am absolutely entering the correct key info. However, per your instructions I'm supposed to enter a hyphen between numbers. I can't move to the spot to the right of any of the four parts to enter it. I get "Incorrect Enter, Press Any Key" each time.

This is somewhat embarrassing as I pretty much never have these problems, but something is amiss. Maybe me?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
SCC: Sorry, just enter each batch (between hyphens) and press Enter.

Others: I'm double checking with our IT group to be sure they applied the correct key generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.