• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7100 450-512MHz down to 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I'm considering purchasing a Harris P7000ip in the 450-512MHz range. Im wanting to use this radio in the 440 band. I know there is a way to get the frequency range down, as I've ready on posts about people exchanging files. I have no experience with anything other than programming an Orion & P5100 for non affiliate EDACS Monitoring.If anyone is willing to help I would gladly appreciate the help.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Below is an SC4 file that I created for an Orion to get it to go into the ham band. You'll have to know the frequency table for the radio that want to use, but this is the basic file. If you look closely, you'll see the pattern. "1A39DE00" in Hex is 440000000 in Dec. The last two digits in the first string are "1A," the second is "39," etc. It is repeated three times. One for the TX, one for the RX and one for the display in the software. You may be able to find a ready-made SC4 or SC5 file or you could try this file. Just copy the text below and save it as "440_10.SC4" to somewhere on your computer. You'll have to tell the software to enable SC4 files and then point the software to that file. It'll either work or it won't. Just try a simple personality and put in 455.000 in the RX and TX and program. If it works, you should be able to read the radio and it will show 445.000 in both areas. If it doesn't work, you'll have to find the frequency tables for the P7100.

What you're doing is moving the base, or bottom frequency, of the radio 10 MHz lower. So instead of 450, the new base will be 440.

Word of caution though, once programmed, you will not be able to read and then write back to the radio. You'll get an out-of-band warning. You'll have to use the original pers and modify it if you want to make changes. The other caveat is that every frequency has to be entered 10 MHz higher that the actual frequency, so if you have any frequencies within 10 MHz of the top end of the radio (usually 510-520 MHz), then you will lose those. Good luck!

Code:
// Orion 450-520 MHz to 440-510 MHz for 70 centimeter use.
// Program 455.000 MHz to get 445.000 MHz
// MOVES BASE FREQ TO 440 MHZ ((WAS 450 MHZ))
FREQTBL /f /b0 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b1 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b2 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b3 /=00
FREQTBL /f /b4 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b5 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b6 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b7 /=00
FREQTBL /f /b8 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b9 /=39
FREQTBL /f /bA /=DE
FREQTBL /f /bB /=00

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Below is an SC4 file that I created for an Orion to get it to go into the ham band. You'll have to know the frequency table for the radio that want to use, but this is the basic file. If you look closely, you'll see the pattern. "1A39DE00" in Hex is 440000000 in Dec. The last two digits in the first string are "1A," the second is "39," etc. It is repeated three times. One for the TX, one for the RX and one for the display in the software. You may be able to find a ready-made SC4 or SC5 file or you could try this file. Just copy the text below and save it as "440_10.SC4" to somewhere on your computer. You'll have to tell the software to enable SC4 files and then point the software to that file. It'll either work or it won't. Just try a simple personality and put in 455.000 in the RX and TX and program. If it works, you should be able to read the radio and it will show 445.000 in both areas. If it doesn't work, you'll have to find the frequency tables for the P7100.

What you're doing is moving the base, or bottom frequency, of the radio 10 MHz lower. So instead of 450, the new base will be 440.

Word of caution though, once programmed, you will not be able to read and then write back to the radio. You'll get an out-of-band warning. You'll have to use the original pers and modify it if you want to make changes. The other caveat is that every frequency has to be entered 10 MHz higher that the actual frequency, so if you have any frequencies within 10 MHz of the top end of the radio (usually 510-520 MHz), then you will lose those. Good luck!

Code:
// Orion 450-520 MHz to 440-510 MHz for 70 centimeter use.
// Program 455.000 MHz to get 445.000 MHz
// MOVES BASE FREQ TO 440 MHZ ((WAS 450 MHZ))
FREQTBL /f /b0 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b1 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b2 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b3 /=00
FREQTBL /f /b4 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b5 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b6 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b7 /=00
FREQTBL /f /b8 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b9 /=39
FREQTBL /f /bA /=DE
FREQTBL /f /bB /=00

Thank you for the reply. I haven't received the radio yet. (Should be here Saturday). So just to be sure, Just copy the text into notepad and save it as "440_10.SC4"? From there what do I do in ProGrammer? im using version 18 I believe. I have very little experience with MaCOM/Harris programming other than just basic programming of frequenices, talkgroups, and editing the keypad functions.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The 7100's were also capable of being programmed with RPM. If it was, you will need to roll the radio back to ProGrammer or use RPM.

Tim

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
In Porgrammer 18, go to "Tools" and then select "Options and Directory Settings" and then make sure the "Enable SC4 Files" box is checked. Next, you have to point to the SC4 file by going to "Options" and then to "General Options." If you made sure to check the box above, then "SC4 File Name" will be visible. Just navigate to your file that you made using the little box with three dots on it to the right or just type the location in the text box. Then, just program as normal, except drop ALL of your frequencies 10 MHz and if it works SAVE THAT PERSONALITY! It'll save you a lot of time in the future when you need to make changes. I hope it works as I've used the same frequency table on MRK radios with good results.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I see. When you say drop all the frequencies by 10mhz, do you mean, for example,
Meaning to program TX:447.5000mhz / RX: 442.5000, but actually typing TX: 437.5000 / RX: 432.5000?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I see. When you say drop all the frequencies by 10mhz, do you mean, for example,
Meaning to program TX:447.5000mhz / RX: 442.5000, but actually typing TX: 437.5000 / RX: 432.5000?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Sorry. No, it was apparently too early this morning...lol. What I meant was to raise the frequencies by 10 MHz. So, you'd enter 455.000 to be able to program 445.000.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
SC4 and SC5 files

SC files are for use with the DOS based CONV1 and EDACS3 software.

SC4 files are for use with Radio Programmer (Programmer) software.

SC5 files are for use with Radio Personality Manager (RPM) software.

In the case of this simple frequency shift, the same commands work in SC4 and SC5 to fudge the frequencies down 10 MHz.

Here is the text of the file I wrote to support 440 MHz at the time:

// M7100 & P7100 450-512 MHz over to Amateur use
// Moves RX/TX-TA base frequency from 450 MHz to 440 MHz
// Program 456.000 for 446.000 MHz
// Written by: Mark A. Cobbeldick 11-18-2004
//tx freq
FREQTBL /f /b0 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b1 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b2 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b3 /=00
//rx freq
FREQTBL /f /b4 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b5 /=39
FREQTBL /f /b6 /=DE
FREQTBL /f /b7 /=00
//tx talkaround freq
FREQTBL /f /b8 /=1A
FREQTBL /f /b9 /=39
FREQTBL /f /bA /=DE
FREQTBL /f /bB /=00

Simply copy/paste into a blank text page, and save it as a SC4 or SC5 file, depending on what you need.

In the REM'ed lines in the code shown above, I have inserted descriptions what the three different segments actually alter.

The first block of memory map locations (b0-b3) control the transmit frequency.

The second block of memory map locations (b4-b7) control the receive frequency.

The third block of memory map locations (b8-bb) control the TALKAROUND transmit frequency.

This third function only goes active when you have a TALKAROUND button mapped to the radio, and it is depressed. "TALKARND" will be displayed on the top line of the radio's display when activated.

I hope this helps explain these files. I apologize for getting so wordy in explaining it.

Mark C. KB4CVN

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Thanks Mark! A while back, Mark provided me an sc4 for VHF and I modified it for UHF and it worked. I assumed that the third set of locations were for the software display, but now I know they are for talk around. Cool!

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I just received the radio and have it hooked up and ready to go. I have checked the box for enabling the SC4 file. However, When i try to find it under the "General Options" tab, im not able to find it. I copy and pasted the text into notepad and saved the file name as "440_10.SC4" to the desktop, but it is not showing up in the general options "SC4 File Name" directory.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
One thing that you may have to do is in WIndows, you have to make visible known file extensions. Once you do that, the file that you saved as an SC4 file will probably look like "440_10.sc4.txt" You'll have to delete the txt off of the end. I forgot about that.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I'm only seeing it as ".sc4" is there another way to change the file type?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I think I found the problem. It's saving as a text document and not as a SC4. Does anyone know how to change the file type? I've tried saving it as "440_10.SC4" ive tried saving it as "440_10.txt" then changing it to .SC4. I've tried changing the Save as type in notepad to "All Files". but it keeps saving it as a text document.

Attachments

• Pers directory.jpg
    Pers directory.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 219
  • Programmer.jpg
    Programmer.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 320

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I finally got the file to save as a SC4 file. and got the frequencies plugged in at 10mhz below. Now I'm getting "SC4 Error - Line 1: Bad Script -- Unknown Identifier".

Attachments

• SC4 ERROR.jpg
    SC4 ERROR.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 219

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That may be part of the problem I mentioned earlier in that the frequency tables may be different for the Orion vs the P7100. KB4CVN will be able to shed some light on this as I have never messed with a P7100.

Status
Not open for further replies.