BCD996P2 DB9 Serial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5bti

Is there a cable that I can plug into the rear of a 996P2 for programming and logging? I don't like leaving a cable sticking out the front of my scanner. If this is possible, can anyone recommend a cable? I'd prefer to use the USB port on my computer but connect to the rear DB9 port of the scanner.

JamesO

Keep in mind that the USB may still have an issue if the computer goes to sleep or standby??

You may need to adjust the USB settings in the computer as well.

GSHastings

You will need an RS232 to USB Null modem cable. I purchased this one on Amazon, and it works perfectly. And with it, the scanner connection will wake up properly when the computer wakes up after going to sleep.

StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN )

Go to the Startech website and get their latest driver.

kf5bti

You will need an RS232 to USB Null modem cable. I purchased this one on Amazon, and it works perfectly. And with it, the scanner connection will wake up properly when the computer wakes up after going to sleep.

StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN )

Go to the Startech website and get their latest driver.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...thanks!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That's the GPS port. Last I knew you couldn't program through it.

The GPS port can be used for programming. A null modem adapter is needed which all that does is crosses pins 2 & 3.

{edit} On the BCD996P2, it's preferred to use the rear port because the front USB port driver has some type of problem if the computer goes into sleep mode, the scanner needs to be power cycled.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The GPS port can be used for programming. A null modem adapter is needed which all that does is crosses pins 2 & 3.

{edit} On the BCD996P2, it's preferred to use the rear port because the front USB port driver has some type of problem if the computer goes into sleep mode, the scanner needs to be power cycled.

Learned somethin new today.. It's a good day ;-)

CanesFan95

Yeah, I basically wanna use the rear DB9 on the scanner with ProScan for programming & control. The PC has serial ports on it, so I won't need USB. I have tried a serial cable with a gender changer and ProScan doesn't communicate with the scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Yeah, I basically wanna use the rear DB9 on the scanner with ProScan for programming & control. The PC has serial ports on it, so I won't need USB. I have tried a serial cable with a gender changer and ProScan doesn't communicate with the scanner.

Get an RS232 Female to Female NULL Cable not a straight RS232 to RS232. Gender changer will only change from Male to Female or vice versa they won't do anything it you just get the right cable to start with.

CanesFan95

Get an RS232 Female to Female NULL Cable not a straight RS232 to RS232. Gender changer will only change from Male to Female or vice versa they won't do anything it you just get the right cable to start with.

So something like this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8BJ/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00006B8BJ&pd_rd_r=JYDRH091WYRRC4345T71&pd_rd_w=3PhZA&pd_rd_wg=mjhQd&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=QEDYYCDSD9NVRBQY67EY&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2a4fafb6-9fdc-425a-aee8-c82daa7b18ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

CanesFan95

Went ahead and got the null modem cable and it's working great. No more annoying cord sticking out the front of the radio. The baud rate is in one of the GPS settings. Even though you're not actually using a GPS, you have to set the GPS baud rate to match the software baud rate. I put mine at the highest setting 115,200: MENU > Settings > Set GPS Baudrate > 115200.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Went ahead and got the null modem cable and it's working great. No more annoying cord sticking out the front of the radio. The baud rate is in one of the GPS settings. Even though you're not actually using a GPS, you have to set the GPS baud rate to match the software baud rate. I put mine at the highest setting 115,200: MENU > Settings > Set GPS Baudrate > 115200.

Awesome!

scosgt

MicroCenter sells a null modem serial cable that works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.