KNox and Sevier cty DOT crews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Have DOT Highway department Freqs entered but hear Greene county and others But nothing from Knoxville area.
With yesterday's storm, I heard nothing from Knox or Sevier activities.

Any freqs that aren't in the TN database?
For sevier, I have 156.95 and for State I have what is in current Database for Region 1

Thanks

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Have DOT Highway department Freqs entered but hear Greene county and others But nothing from Knoxville area.
With yesterday's storm, I heard nothing from Knox or Sevier activities.

Any freqs that aren't in the TN database?
For sevier, I have 156.95 and for State I have what is in current Database for Region 1

Thanks
Try 151.1300. WPPV739. The transmitter is licensed on Sharp's Ridge. That maybe the repeater you're looking for.

n4yek

Department of Transportation / Highway Maintenance (TDOT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Scroll down to Region 1 and there you will find the frequencies and tower sites used in each area.
Put all of those freqs into the scanner and just monitor until you figure out which one is close to you.
They will use sites as they see the need no matter of its location. I monitor the Cocke county site but I will
hear them talking about Knoxville roads sometimes, then I will hear them talk about Jefferson County some
and then Cocke county.

Last edited:

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that TDOT is organized into Regions and Districts. Knox and Sevier are in Region 1 and District 18. See: Local Information - TN.Gov, then scroll down and click on Region 1.

TDOT will generally address snow and ice events very early with a considerable amount of equipment and staff. After it quits snowing, sometimes the TDOT crews have completed clearing and salting the Interstates and state routes and have gone home while some city and county highway department crews are still out there dealing with their road conditions. This might explain the lack of radio traffic.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Have TDOT snow removal crews installed the newer MDT systems designed just for plow/salt trucks yet? A lot of State DOTs, and a few of the wealthier County/Municipal crews have them now. They not only display local coms data, but also weather conditions including doppler radar feeds, sensor feeds from the truck for road temps, as well as control settings for the dispersal rate for materials. Most of the time they will be on the radio non stop as well as following the indications from the MDTs. Though since most of the plow/salt trucks are actually just dump trucks with extra gear attached, I wonder what uses the tech gear goes for when its not stormy? *Intelligent Snow Plow Technology from Delcan* http://delcantechnologies.com/category/projects/snow-plow/ http://delcantechnologies.com/mobile-data-tracking/

Last edited by a moderator:

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
No MDT units as you describe in the TDOT Maintenance trucks that I'm currently aware of. However, most of the supervisor pickups as well as many of the dump trucks with snow plow blades and salt spreaders on the back which are used to clear snow and ice are equipped with infrared road temperature sensors. You can occasionally hear radio traffic exchanged among the operators regarding pavement temperatures at different locations.

TDOT does have several Roadway Weather Information Systems (RWIS) stations located around the state which measure both air and pavement temperature. See: Interactive Environmental Sensor Station Page - FHWA Road Weather Management. Not sure exactly how these get their information back to the HQ/Region/District offices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.