New Jerse Transit - Tetra Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hi! Has anyone been able to monitor New Jersey Transit on their new Tetra Digital System?

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I can monitor it just fine using the sq5bpf TETRA decoder.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Using the USB bootable image that the author created really makes things much easier, no fussing around with missing libraries or what not.

The system is quite busy, a lot of bus chatter and boring traffic. The only thing I find interesting is HBLR Dispatch.

There is also a few talkgroups dedicated to NY Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal, not much interesting to listen either

W2SJW

Database Admin
When a saw a month or so ago that the DB now had TG's listed for that system, I started to wonder who the hell/how the hell that happened!

I might go grab that image & give it a try...

mqharris

Premium Subscriber
I can monitor it just fine using the sq5bpf TETRA decoder.

What frequency were you listening on / where from? I only get a weak signal from near Penn Station but I also don't know which frequency to use of the ones listed.

Do they do track assignments at Penn Station over any of the frequencies? Would love to know those.

Analogrules

The best place to hear track assignments (if you can understand their lingo) is 161.010. This is the main NE Corridor channel used by Amtrak and ALL NJ Transit traim lines between NY Penn, Nwk Penn, and Newark Jct.

Analogrules

The River Line in South Jersey uses the TETRA system also I believe. (I think the db still shows a deprecated VHF frequency for River Line).

W2SJW

Database Admin
What frequency were you listening on / where from? I only get a weak signal from near Penn Station but I also don't know which frequency to use of the ones listed.

Do they do track assignments at Penn Station over any of the frequencies? Would love to know those.
The main rail operations are still on VHF. The TETRA system in North Jersey is primarily for bus operations by NJT & the companies they contract through (Coach, Beiber, etc...).

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

mqharris

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thank you.

I don't actually hear that much on 161.010 even when I'm in Penn Station or on a train on the NEC. As the trains come in from the North River Tunnels, how do they get track assignments?

Maybe I need a bigger antenna — I'm using a handheld with a rubber ducky antenna.

Analogrules

Really? 161.010 is extremely active! I can pick up constant chatter on there, even several miles away using a normal rubber duck stock antenna on any scanner.

Analogrules

I believe the track assignment are given on that frequency, but they speak very fast and use rail lingo that can be hard to interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.