• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with programming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPC2017

I am attempting to program my own HT1000 for use on the local VHF Public Safety Repeater, however, we don't have a usual radio technician to guide me through this process. I notice the HT1000 doesn't allow for an offset...only TX/RX channel...what offset is 150-160 MHz?

I have obtained all my PL/DPL code, and those work fine. I can hear Dispatch just fine with the PL code set, but I am not picking up the repeater. If someone could provide useful but (dummy) instructions for me it would be greatly appreciated. I asked my Dispatch what the frequencies are for TX/RX and even they don't have a clue. We simply have our service maintained yearly, and hire outside for any other technical support.

We also utilize MDC 1200 at the beginning of each transmission if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

A Stressed Public Servant

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
There is no standard offset for the VHF high band and LMR equipment has its TX and RX programmed separately anyway. You have to know the discrete input and output frequencies/tone combinations.

Somewhere in radio-wide is where the signaling page is that you can specify what ID to use and when (Pre, post, etc). On each channel is where you then "assign" your MDC system to that specific channel.

jim202

I am attempting to program my own HT1000 for use on the local VHF Public Safety Repeater, however, we don't have a usual radio technician to guide me through this process. I notice the HT1000 doesn't allow for an offset...only TX/RX channel...what offset is 150-160 MHz?

I have obtained all my PL/DPL code, and those work fine. I can hear Dispatch just fine with the PL code set, but I am not picking up the repeater. If someone could provide useful but (dummy) instructions for me it would be greatly appreciated. I asked my Dispatch what the frequencies are for TX/RX and even they don't have a clue. We simply have our service maintained yearly, and hire outside for any other technical support.

We also utilize MDC 1200 at the beginning of each transmission if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Bottom line here is if you have to ask how to program the radios, you probably should not be doing it. There is a learning curve to the Motorola software. With out someone to help be a mentor and guide you through it, the chances of making mistakes is high.

On the other side of the programming issue, all VHF and UHF radio use has to be narrow band now. Some of the software and the radios can be programmed for either wide band or narrow band use. Some of the older radios can not be programmed for narrow band use. Some radios in order to go narrow band must be a specific model number. So knowledge of these details is important. The newer versions of the Motorola programming software are forced to only program in narrow band. But your radio may not accept the narrow band programming.

As you can see, there are several pitfalls that you could possibly fall into. This is why I mentioned that a new comer to programming radios has a rough road to travel.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but just point out some of the issues you will have to learn without a mentor. Good luck on your efforts.

clbsquared

Your post is a little confusing. You say you can hear dispatch just fine but you cant hear the repeater? If you can hear dispatch then you are hearing the repeater. And you have entered the correct frequency. Unless its a simplex (using the same frequency to transmit and receive) most repeaters receive on one frequency and transmit on another. In which case you would enter the repeaters transmit frequency into the radios receive frequency and the repeaters receive frequency would go into the radios transmit frequency. Your PL/DPL codes are where it gets tricky. In order for your radio to work with the repeater, you need to have the correct PL/DPL programmed. What agency are you trying to program? Is it listed in the RR database?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
There's a chance that the input is listed here on RR. Go to the database, then select you state and county. Then click the dropdown box that says "hidden" and change it to "shown". If you're lucky it will be listed. If not find the frequency for receive and click the license posted with it and if it's not an extremely complex system you possibly can narrow it down that way. As always, don't forget proper programming can be the difference between life and death, and don't trust a untested radio. And to go ahead and save some future headaches, what are the last 2 digits on the model number. It'll be AN, BN, CN, or DN. If it's AN or BN you're going to need another radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am attempting to program my own HT1000 for use on the local VHF Public Safety Repeater, however, we don't have a usual radio technician to guide me through this process.

Thanks,

Where are you located?
Knowing where you are and what department it is can help shed some light on this. Either we can help you get the right information, or if one of us is local we can assist.

The older Motorola software is difficult to learn, and there are a lot of variables that you need to know how to set up. It's not impossible for a newcomer to do, but you will need some level of assistance to do it right.

MPC2017

There's a chance that the input is listed here on RR. Go to the database, then select you state and county. Then click the dropdown box that says "hidden" and change it to "shown". If you're lucky it will be listed. If not find the frequency for receive and click the license posted with it and if it's not an extremely complex system you possibly can narrow it down that way. As always, don't forget proper programming can be the difference between life and death, and don't trust a untested radio. And to go ahead and save some future headaches, what are the last 2 digits on the model number. It'll be AN, BN, CN, or DN. If it's AN or BN you're going to need another radio.

The radio has DN on the model number, so it is capable of narrow band. The frequencies are listed on RR under Hampshire County in Massachusetts. My Dispatch can only hear me on talkaround...I am not hitting the repeater because I get 5 miles away from HQ and they can't hear me but I can hear them.

MPC2017

I am located in Hampshire County in Massachusetts, and I need Belchertown PD/FD, Granby PD/FD, Ware PD/FD, WEMLEC VHF X-band, Hampshire County PD/FD, Amherst FD, Hadley PD, Northampton PD/FD, Holyoke PD/FD, and Chicopee FD located in Hampden County Massachusetts. That's as fas as I have gotten, and I need tje radio set to allow talkaround when on the scene. I've been told the HT1000 can have a side button programmed to shut off the PL code.

clbsquared

I would go back and verify that you have the correct PL or DPL code entered. 5 miles with a handheld is within range of hitting a repeater (depending on terrain).

clbsquared

Also, is it possible for you to put up some screenshots of the CPS personalities you're having trouble with? Maybe post the cpg. so someone can look over it and see if anything stands out.

jim202

The radio has DN on the model number, so it is capable of narrow band. The frequencies are listed on RR under Hampshire County in Massachusetts. My Dispatch can only hear me on talkaround...I am not hitting the repeater because I get 5 miles away from HQ and they can't hear me but I can hear them.

My guess is you have programmed the radio for talk around and not going through the repeater. If you have programmed the receiver for tone squelch, you may not hear the tail of the repeater. It depends on how the repeater is set up.

With all the other agency frequencies your looking to put into your radio, you really need to get a letter of authorization from each of them to legally be using their channels. No I am not trying to give you a hard time, but your walking on real thin ice here programming your radio for their frequencies without their permission.

Remember my original post suggesting that you locate a mentor to help you program your radio? this wasn't to give you a hard time but give you the support you need in learning how to program properly. There are all sorts of places where you can slip up and actually slip up while programming a radio. Even those of us that have done it for years can fat finger an entry and it could cause the radio to not work correctly. You could even be on a frequency you should not be on and not even know it.

Please find someone locally to help you walk through all the land mines that can trip you up doing any radio programming. This is a learning curve that you will find very difficult trying to do it alone with the Motorola software. You could ask members of your own department if they know anyone who could help you.

MPC2017

Allowed usage of frequencies...

Jim,

No need to worry about my authorization, the MDC is displaying my unit I.D. in Dispatch so I am good to go. The other PD/FD agencies communicate with us quite often. All legal here, just nobody who can guide me without paying significant out of pocket expense (at least $200) for all the programming. Motorola software is irritating.

Nasby

Rather than setting a button or switch for talkaround, you should consider just designating a channel on the radio as the talkaround channel.

Its better for tactics and officer safety to simply turn the channel selector to the talkaround channel rather than fooling around with a button or switch to enable/disable it.

And $200 is WAY too much for programming an HT1000.

I'll do it for $20 if you pay shipping and have the correct frequencies and tone info.

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Something is WRONG if it cost's 200 dollars to program an HT1000. Do you have a particular vendor that you use for all the dept radios? I'd shop around if you got quoted 200 dollars. That's more than what the radio is worth...

MPC2017

I spoke to our vendor at Comtronics in Quincy, Ma. and I was told to have a technician come to site, and program an HT1000 was an extra hassle on them. The HT1000 relies on a much slower system of programming, and our frequency requirement is very unique. Therefore, it would require extra time and need to be realigned after programming from what I was told.

I've seen approved e-bay providers offering full programming for $18.00, but weary to trust people I won't physically speak with...

Replacement antenna on way...so that'll probably help with accessing the repeater.

Nasby

I spoke to our vendor at Comtronics in Quincy, Ma. and I was told to have a technician come to site, and program an HT1000 was an extra hassle on them. The HT1000 relies on a much slower system of programming, and our frequency requirement is very unique. Therefore, it would require extra time and need to be realigned after programming from what I was told.

I've seen approved e-bay providers offering full programming for $18.00, but weary to trust people I won't physically speak with...

Replacement antenna on way...so that'll probably help with accessing the repeater.

Partially true. The HT1000 does require a sower computer and special cables that are likely not often used by a modern radio vendor. And of course a special trip by the vendor to your location will cost you extra. They are going to charge you for the extra time.

However, it may not need realigned after the programming. It may work just fine.

As for a unique frequency, there's no voodoo involved. Its simply a matter of entering the frequency(s), tones, etc. into mostly pre-set programming parameters and boxes.

To save some cash, you could probably just drop your radio off at the vendor's office.

Good luck!

cmdrwill

And $200 is WAY too much for programming an HT1000.
I'll do it for $20 if you pay shipping and have the correct frequencies and tone info.

$20 is fair and I also do a alignment/calibration check. Even with re alignment $ 35,

MPC2017

Wrong antenna was provided with the radio, therefore, I wasn't hitting the repeater. Motorola Rep. said radio is programmed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.