• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

vx-4207-7 reband possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4TOV

Premium Subscriber
Ahoy!

Long time lurker on these forums. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have acquired a handful of vx-4207-7 rigs that are banded for 450MHz - 512MHz. I was wondering if it might be possible to get the radios down into the 70cm ham band, or would I be better selling these on ebay?

Thanks!

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yes you will need to hex edit the software to allow them down to 440. I don't have the instructions handy.

KF4TOV

Premium Subscriber
Yes you will need to hex edit the software to allow them down to 440. I don't have the instructions handy.

Thanks for the reply!

I've done some research on hex edits regarding vertex radios. Is the hex edit a mortification of the codeplug you read from the radio, or a modification you make to the programming software itself?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
At first i used to edit the codeplug but since had found out it possible to find the strings in the exe file and modify. I however dont remember what i did.

KF4TOV

Premium Subscriber
Thank you n2obl for the info.

I was able to get the radio to go down into the 70cm ham band. I'll post what I did with the hope that this helps someone else.

Here's my set up:

Radio: Vertex Standard VX-4207-7-45
Computer: Windows XP Pro w/SP3
Interface Cable: 9-pin serial
CPS Software: CE59 v.4.01

Here are the steps I took to allow out of band usage:

1: Install the CE59 software.
2: Open a command prompt window.
3: Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Vertex Standard\CE59 for Windows"
4: Type in "ce59win -manu" (without the quotes).
5: Enter the password: "Developer Only" (without the quotes).
6: In CE59 click on the "Common" menu, then on the "Hardware" option.
7: In the lower right-hand of the dialog box under "Frequency Range" change the "From" field to "440.00000 MHz" and click the "OK" button.

You should now be able to input 70cm ham band repeater frequencies. It's always a good idea to make backups of codeplugs should there ever be a problem.

Also, I had problems using the "-manu" switch with the shortcut the software created. It wasn't until I ran the software from a command prompt that it asked me for the "Developer Only" password.

I hope this helps.

73's
-KF4TOV

radiotweester

EXCELLENT instructions, KF4TOV.
I got bored and tried Windows Enabler V1.1 to change the 450 to 440 under Hardware.

PA2VC

Hello, I have the same VX-4207 (450 - 512 MHz) and want to get it on 430 MHz. With the prompt I cannot get it changed. Could you mail the item so I can also re-program the radio? Thanks and 73, Paul

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hello, I have the same VX-4207 (450 - 512 MHz) and want to get it on 430 MHz. With the prompt I cannot get it changed. Could you mail the item so I can also re-program the radio? Thanks and 73, Paul

The radio may not lock that far out of band. It would be better to buy a radio that natively covers 430-440MHz.

radiotweester

https://windows-enabler.en.uptodown.com/windows
I think 442 RX is about the lowest without VCO tweaking.
You can try adjust the VCO using the built in Basic Alignment tool. I have NOT messed with this other than reading the radio.The range will show version D (451-519). Maybe someone can figure out how to fool it to a Version A?

For frequency expansion:
You will need to modify the defaultud.c59 file first (remove the read only).
Open the file, go to Common -> Hardware, open and turn On the Windows enabler, modify the freq in the bottom right corner, Save. Read your radio and modify the file the same way, then save. Modify your channels, save and then program the radio.
A flashing display means your VCO is definitely not locked.

ftl7011

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon I have a vx-p824 that is Ver H (380.100mhz - 449.900mhz) trying to change it to Ver D (450.100mhz - 519.000mhz) I am using CE76 and following the same steps as the CE59 I am able to get into developer mode ok able to make all changes under common/hardware changes from H to D make the edits ok then when I try to write to the radio it says "Hardware Missmatch" any ideas thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.