Is a premium sub worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson1522

From Creedmoor, NC I've been picking up 851.2875 P25 which sounds like a routine public safety feed. I'm running a Radioshack Pro-651. The FAQs for new guys suggest using the frequency search option available to premium subs.

Normally, I'd probably just jot the number down and maybe come back to it later. However, a few quick searches suggest this is a freq used in Charlotte, NC. I get the feeling that the chatter I'm hearing is probably closer to Raleigh, NC. So either A.) My radio is more powerful than I could have ever imagined, B.) My quick searches were wrong and I need to investigate further, and/or C.) I really don't have a good grasp on how to scan.

It leaves me with three questions.

1.) Is there a beginners' guide (or can you point me to the correct FAQ) that covers the basics of dedicated searches and how to identify what you're hearing.

2.) Is the premium sub worth the money to someone who typically listens to a select few talkgroups and rarely scans? Also, would it be of use in this situation?

3.) Can anybody identify what I'm hearing on 851.2875?

ecps92

North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies
Onslow County/Jacksonville City Public Services Trunking System, Jacksonville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies
all found from the FREE Search of
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database
which began at
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

From Creedmoor, NC I've been picking up 851.2875 P25 which sounds like a routine public safety feed. I'm running a Radioshack Pro-651. The FAQs for new guys suggest using the frequency search option available to premium subs.

Normally, I'd probably just jot the number down and maybe come back to it later. However, a few quick searches suggest this is a freq used in Charlotte, NC. I get the feeling that the chatter I'm hearing is probably closer to Raleigh, NC. So either A.) My radio is more powerful than I could have ever imagined, B.) My quick searches were wrong and I need to investigate further, and/or C.) I really don't have a good grasp on how to scan.

It leaves me with three questions.

1.) Is there a beginners' guide (or can you point me to the correct FAQ) that covers the basics of dedicated searches and how to identify what you're hearing.

2.) Is the premium sub worth the money to someone who typically listens to a select few talkgroups and rarely scans? Also, would it be of use in this situation?

3.) Can anybody identify what I'm hearing on 851.2875?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The answer to question 2.
What is your time worth to program hundreds of trunking sites and talk groups buy hand with the alpha tags vers buying software a programming cable and paying the premium membership fees. What this boils down to are you will to spend the extra money and do this in 10 to 15 minutes or spend several hours doing it by hand. Then make changes if you take your scanner on a trip? I also support paying a fee for here just to support the site but that is just me.

Johnson1522

ECPS 92 - Thanks for the links, but I've already seen that information. It confirms what I found, but it's difficult to believe that I'm picking up chatter from roughly 140 miles away.

buddrousa - That's a good point. Supporting the site might be worth it in itself. As for software, I use Win500 which I bought before becoming a member here. I rarely do anything other than a few frequencies and almost never program alpha tags, so your question gives me something to think about. Thanks.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
On the TACN system I am hearing the THP from Memphis to Ky line and from Memphis to Nashville because the sites are linked together by THP District and I am lucky enough to pick up a site from D3 Nashville District a site from D4 Memphis District and D3 Jackson District.
So the answer is just the cost of the site premium subscription so if you choose that will not be as bad.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
ECPS 92 - Thanks for the links, but I've already seen that information. It confirms what I found, but it's difficult to believe that I'm picking up chatter from roughly 140 miles away.

buddrousa - That's a good point. Supporting the site might be worth it in itself. As for software, I use Win500 which I bought before becoming a member here. I rarely do anything other than a few frequencies and almost never program alpha tags, so your question gives me something to think about. Thanks.

I subscribe to support the site more than for any programming help. Lindsey puts his heart and soul (and money) into Radio Reference and between him and the moderators and other admins, I think it's the best site for up-to-date frequencies and other info on the web, bar none.

Oh, also I'll add that many of the regular users that contribute to this site are also what help keeps Radio Ref the place to be online for SWL's and scanner heads like me!

ecps92

As others pointed out, you are listening to part of a TRS for a Statewide Network.
Each site is linked and you may/may-not hear traffic from a few miles away to hundreds.

All depends on what TG's are authorized and if anyone is affiliated to that TG at your nearest tower.

Johnson1522

Thanks ecps92, your response makes me think I don't have a great grasp on how the whole system works. Seems like it might be useful to read up on track networks.

DJ11DLN

I consider my premium subscription to be one of the better values in my life. There's a tremendous amount of info here, even if I didn't use the library to program a couple of scanners via Win500. I'll keep supporting Radio Reference with a membership even if I swap off those scanners and have only newer stuff that comes with factory support because there is so much valuable info here. And at the price per annum of less than I usually have to pour into my fuel tank weekly...for me, that pretty much says it all.

ecps92

There is a lot to read, digest, re-read and keep-in-mind that
Each TRS is it's own unique animal, depending on who programmed/designed it

And then...add the "Big One" or a Large Pre-Planned Event and who knows what the TECHs and a good COM-L will do :D
Thanks ecps92. I think the section about "affiliation" really clears it up for me.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot to read, digest, re-read and keep-in-mind that

Each TRS is it's own unique animal, depending on who programmed/designed it

And then...add the "Big One" or a Large Pre-Planned Event and who knows what the TECHs and a good COM-L will do :D

Yup! Sometimes I read up on other TRSs besides just to see what's up and compare to my local area!

Status
Not open for further replies.