Whip, stock or stubby? Which do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7NUK

I have a few different antennas but really want to know what others think and prefer of the different antenna sizes available for purchase. I have a Comet 24j, Comet SH55, ANLI RD88H for whips. A couple expert power 7.5 " as a reasonable size vs power and those nasty stock baofeng that everyone seems to hate. Also got a stubby 2.5" for a baofeng for my mom to use as a scanner and NOAA.

I like the size of the stubby but never used it to talk. And reception is worse then one of my whips. And the expert power performs quite well from my testing. The expert is also the main antenna in my mobile setup with my radio.(BNC pass through on a clamp to the roof rack of our Tahoe with coax ran through the door)

All my antennas aside from the stubby and stock baofeng's are BNC. For convenience of changing and reliablity. Although the antenna sits about a 1/2" higher then if it were sma.

What do you prefer as power vs size and comfort? I prefer the whips as I don't mind the size much but love the reception and thought of my signal will get through vs stock antennas. And it looks like a real radio, not a walkie talkie.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If for monitoring and occasional transmit, a small whip. If working public service, ANLI. And if you wonder why everyone seems to hate the baofeng, just look at the numerous problems on postings on RR. As most have said, they are poor scanners. Far less problems posted with radios by major companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.