Nxdn used for railroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone in Virginia heard nxdn being used on railroad frequencies yet? Digital frequency search.com shows csx, Norfolk southern and buckingham branch railroads are all licensed for it in Albemarle county. Just wondered if anybody had heard it being used yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed a number of such licenses out here too but no Nexedge traffic at all. I've been hearing for years they are switching but haven't seen it much. Supposedly metro areas have it more than the rest of the country.

I've heard in the last year there is resistance to that plan and even that some are going their own way but going Mototrbo or staying as is.

Don't really follow rail that much so don't know more. Very uninteresting to me. I get close call hits on them here and nothing really. Lots of incidents go on but its never put out on the radio for whatever reason.

Hearing "Clear to mile marker 67" and the like as the extent is rather boring.

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
Has anyone in Virginia heard nxdn being used on railroad frequencies yet? Digital frequency search.com shows csx, Norfolk southern and buckingham branch railroads are all licensed for it in Albemarle county. Just wondered if anybody had heard it being used yet.

All three of these railroads are licensed but have not begun using any NXDN in VA yet. NS and CSX are however using it sparingly in other parts of their systems, mainly in yards and police use. Highly unlikely the road channels will go to NXDN any time in the foreseeable future.

troymail

Silent Key
I have CSX using NXDN in Maryland - at least in the Baltimore area - but generally, best I can tell, only in the yards - not on the road.

Also just back from a trip through Virginia and North Carolina -- not a peep on RR NXDN... but it could have been I just wasn't close enough and/or they were active during my travels through various areas.

KI4SXZ

Like someone else said, i'm sure it will become more common for yard operations. But when it comes to over the road, i cant see it becoming too common because there are just too many other users of the rails for it to be practical.
Just think, i know in the small section of csx track i live on, the known users are NS, Amtrak and VRE. They would all have to outfit their fleets to handle that system. So over the road will most likely stay vhf for a long time.

W4UVV

All CSX and NS Va. 160-161mhz. licenses

--------------------------------

FYI all Virginia CSX and NS 160-161mhz. licenses now additionally support the NXDN emission mode. Over the past few years either via a new or modified existing license, all their licenses now support both analog/NXDN.

A licensee does not spend monies to request new or modified licenses for a new emission mode (NXDN) without intending to use it at some time in the future. The capability for both RRs to switch over to NXDN now exists and could happen at anytime by either railroad. Don't bet that NXDN will never happen and RR comms will remain analog forever especially in these times of increased threats from terrorists to the US.

NXDN has been prototype tested at the NS repair facility in Roanoke for the past 6+ years. So it is not exactly a brand new technology to NS.

The NS coal loading pier facility in Norfolk has been using NXDN for approximately 2 years.

John
W4UVV

KI4SXZ

Last i knew, the NXDN could only be used through repeaters because of the handhelds not being able to split the frequency between each other in simplex. And since it had to go through repeaters, individual radios would have to be programed for each tower it needed. Which means a unit wouldn't be able to go anywhere where a repeater wouldn't be without reaching a blackout zone. So it wont be tomorrow that they switch, but as technology changes, it may happen in the future.
In reality, the most you really hear on a rr road freq is the unit clearing benchmark locations. Giving thruly a headups type warning to units in the area. Tracking trains and company uses can be accomplished easier with other techs like NXDN and sat comms.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Last i knew, the NXDN could only be used through repeaters because of the handhelds not being able to split the frequency between each other in simplex.

NXDN works just fine on simplex. A friend of mine and I use NXDN in simplex mode on 2m ham frequencies fairly regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KI4SXZ

I'll take tour word for it. Im just basing it off the manufacturer specs. But they may be old. Thanks.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'll take tour word for it. Im just basing it off the manufacturer specs. But they may be old. Thanks.

You may be thinking of DMR, however DMR has always been able to be used on simplex, but only one slot. That said, some radio manufacturers can utilize both slots on simplex now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Mark it sounds like Motorola's P25 radios like XTS 5000 which can have a "Both" selection and allow you to respond to the mode received. Analog comes in unit can transmit back in analog and if digital comes in unit responds in digital. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that when reading about programing those radios.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Mark it sounds like Motorola's P25 radios like XTS 5000 which can have a "Both" selection and allow you to respond to the mode received. Analog comes in unit can transmit back in analog and if digital comes in unit responds in digital. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that when reading about programing those radios.

While a Motorola radio can have mixed mode receive, digital or analog transmit is slaved to the channel and cannot be changed. If your channel is digital and somebody is transmitting analog, you can listen but your response will be digital.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening

Can't speak about any other railroads in Montana, but Montana RailLink is using Kenwood exclusively. My source is a Conductor for them.

kk6rq

While a Motorola radio can have mixed mode receive, digital or analog transmit is slaved to the channel and cannot be changed. If your channel is digital and somebody is transmitting analog, you can listen but your response will be digital.

He's correct EXCEPT for one thing I just learned a few weeks ago-- The Railroad Astro Spectra (and one would assume any more recent models) actually have a D/A switch right on the front to switch TX.
Took a look at the brochure. Wish their other P25 radios did that (it would sure save on channel slots).

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
NXDN been used for Blue Line, Gold Line, Red Line, and Downtown Line Metro Rail for a while now in Los Angeles. Also used for Metro Rail Maint. All on high VHF conventional NXDN. Very active channels and the TRX-1 and 2 decode them excellently with great audio. Of course, can also monitor using tapped scanner or SDR fed thru DSDPlus.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

Ah okay thanks. I was mistaken then.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"A licensee does not spend monies to request new or modified licenses for a new emission mode (NXDN) without intending to use it at some time in the future.

Not totally true, our RR got fooled into PAYING for NXDN license upgrades when they are no cost from the FCC. We have no intention of going NXDN anytime in the next 10 years for other than maybe some support services. This is the general concensus from all the Class 1 railroads, and you may see it used in yards as there was a big push by the AAR to license anything not RTC for NXDN only. We got 18 pairs, which are totally useless since they are way too close to our existing carrier squelch Rail Traffic Controller channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.