WS1065/PRO-652/GRE-600 volume/squelch knobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4cks

OK guys. Need some help here. So I have a RS PRO-652 with broken volume/squelch knobs. I would like to replace them. Obviously RadioShack would be no help (correct me if I'm wrong), And GRE doesn't exist anymore. That leaves Whistler. Well, as far as I know, they are all basically the same radio inside and out (with some electronic parts changes inside), so I called Whistler trying to order a squelch knob and a volume knob. After three calls and no return calls, I'm told it's a non orderable part and I must return the radio to Whistler along with a flat fee of $120 (flat service fee) for them to push the two knobs on and return it to me. Granted, it's not a Whistler radio (they didn't know that), but SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? For two knobs? You can't just sell them to me?

Anyway, enough of that. Not here to bash Whistler service or start anything. Just want the knobs. You've read the rest, now my question. Does anyone have or know where I could get these two knobs at anywhere near a reasonable cost? Got a parts radio you'd sell?

I figure my best chance is here with all the best knowledge on anything radio...

Joe

Nasby

Once every so often a seller on Ebay offers a quantity of the volume/squelch assembly for $30.00.

That really is the only place I have seen them. So I would suggest checking there.

Of course your other option is to buy a broken unit on Ebay and salvage the parts.

You might even find an analog Whistler base unit equivalent for a good price. Probably less than $120.

trp2525

...Granted, it's not a Whistler radio (they didn't know that)...

Had you told Whistler that you wanted the volume and squelch knobs replaced on a Radio Shack PRO-652, they would have told you that they wouldn't do it even for the $120 flat-rate scanner repair fee. I have been told directly by Whistler that they will ONLY repair Whistler scanners, either in- or out-of-warranty.

You might want to check with G & G Communications in New York (Home Page) to see if they can help you out with the knobs you are looking for. They have a pretty extensive inventory of scanners and radios that they use for salvage parts but those may be just for their own use for in-house repairs as opposed to selling individual parts to customers who want to do their own repairs. It's at least worth a try.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Find the component, you'll probably have to buy around 100 of them, but you might be able to get a sample. It'll probably be cheaper than sending back to Whistler and then everyone can buy one from you for $10 until you run out.

trp2525

...So I have a RS PRO-652 with broken volume/squelch knobs. I would like to replace them...Does anyone have or know where I could get these two knobs at anywhere near a reasonable cost? Got a parts radio you'd sell?...

There is a seller on eBay who is selling brand-new replacement volume knob rings for the PRO-652 (which would also fit the PRO-197, PSR-600 and WS1065 if anyone else is interested or in need) for $5.57 each with FREE shipping included and there are "More than 10 available": NEW RADIOSHACK REPL. VOLUME KNOB RING FOR PRO-652 DESKTOP DIGITAL/MOBILE SCANNER | eBay

While quite pricey for just the knobs, there is also currently a PRO-197 scanner available on eBay (same scanner as your PRO-652) "For parts or not working" with a current bid price of $105.50: Radio Shack Pro-197 Digital Trunking Desktop/Mobile Radio Scanner **FOR PARTS** | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.