Can't get to page 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Well...since you mentioned it, I don't either...unless I log out, then it acts like the original posters report.

sfd119

Still showing Page 2 for me/others...but not Moderators. Must be a phantom post that was deleted.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When logged in, I have my "Thread Display Options" set to 50 posts per page.

I see one page with posts numbered 1 through 20 and no indication of a second page.

When I log out, it's the same as Kevin's post #5 above. I see page one with posts 1 through 20, and a link to a second page that just goes back to post #1 on page 1 in the thread when I click on it.

There may have been a post #21 at one time, that was deleted or moved. The anomaly will probably clear up when there is a new post #21 added to that thread.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Still showing Page 2 for me/others...but not Moderators. Must be a phantom post that was deleted.

A lot of people don't use the forum default for "number of posts to show per page". This was a benefit back in the days of dial-up Internet when it would take a long time to load and render a lot of posts in a forum thread. The default is probably 10 posts per page.

Go to "User CP" (left side of the blue bar below your private messages indicator, above), then on the sidebar at left on the resulting page, find the "Settings & Options" section, then select "Edit Options". Click on that, and about 3/4 of the way down the resulting page, you will see a section titled "Thread Display Options". The third section of that is "Number of Posts to Show Per Page". I always max mine out (typically 50) on every forum I visit. That's why I (and others) don't see a page 2 in http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/346085-fire-notifications.html, because there are only 20 posts in that thread.

Now, if you show 10 posts per page, and can't view page 2 (posts 11-20), that might be a vBulletin (forum software) bug. I have seen more than one or two bugs in this software, even though it's (IMO) the best forum software on the market. One of the bugs I see consistently is that when you're emailed a notification that a thread you're subscribed to has been replied to, on certain threads, the link for it strips the dot from the end of the link (so it reads "...346085-fire-notificationshtml" instead of "...346085-fire-notifications.html"). As far as I know RR has not been able to figure out the reason that happens. It could be that your situation has a similar bug that is hard to pin down.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now, if you show 10 posts per page, and can't view page 2 (posts 11-20), that might be a vBulletin (forum software) bug.

I changed my view to 10 posts per page and all is ok.

Page 1 shows posts 1-10
Page 2 shows posts 11-20 with no link to a page 3.

Hans13

I've been having this problem with several threads for as long as I can remember. I believe that is a phantom next page because I've never missed a post. It seems like when a page fills up there can be a phantom next page under certain conditions. If I click on the next page, it just re-displays the true last page. YMMV

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
When not logged in, I see 2 pages. A test post was added which is the only post I see on page 2.

I deleted that post and the thread now shows only 1 page.

When logged in, I still only see 1 page now that I've deleted the test post.

There were a bunch of posts approved but nothing has been deleted from the thread with the exception of the test message I deleted.

Not sure why some people are seeing a second page but I'm going to chalk it up to some weird vBulletin funkiness.

Hans13

Not sure why some people are seeing a second page but I'm going to chalk it up to some weird vBulletin funkiness.

Yeah, it's no big deal, just a minor annoyance. I think it's a gremlin that's not worth tracking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.