Wish List For Next-Gen Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1. Integrated database similar to the x36 line but allowing NULL values for settings like delay, AGC, etc. Default values can be selected from the scanner menu. If the database value for a channel is NULL, the scanner default is used, otherwise the channel setting in the database setting is used. It is beyond stupid that you cannot easily change global default settings for things like channel delay and AGC.

2. Fix AGC. AGC should NOT be "subtle", it should be blatantly obvious whether it is on or off. Give the user some parameters to control attack and decay times, and the gain curve. It's obvious that Uniden didn't involve anyone with any audio engineering expertise when they designed their AGC; if they don't want to rectify that, they should at least allow users who have such expertise to be able to set up a functional AGC on their own.

3. Integrated GPS, especially for handheld/portable models. Integrated GPS costs less than $20 retail (e.g. the price difference between theTYT MD-390 with vs. without GPS). For base/mobile models, have an external GPS antenna for situations where the built-in GPS antenna doesn't work.

4. Multi-receiver architecture and audio buffering. Build the receiver on a separate circuit board that plugs into the scanner mainboard like a RAM module in a PC. Have at least 2 receiver modules in the scanner, with the option of adding more if the user so desires. Scanning is distributed among all available receivers. Each time a receiver is ready to scan a new channel, it chooses the one that has the greatest time since previous scan. If more than one receiver is receiving a transmission, the first transmission received is played to the speaker, and all other transmissions are buffered to RAM. Buffered transmissions are played on a first-in-first-out basis. If the user chooses to replay transmissions, scanning continues, and any transmissions received during replay are added to the buffer and played in the order received.

Receiver modules should be user-installable just like PC RAM modules, so that if a receiver goes bad, it can easily be replaced. If the user wishes to upgrade their scanner, they can simply order additional modules, pop off a cover, snap them in place, and replace the cover. A handheld model should be able to accept 2-4 receivers, and a base/mobile should be able to accept at least 8.

5. Search / Close Call database lookup. If the scanner gets a hit on a frequency, and there is a match in the database within the scanner's Range setting, the Search / Close Call hit should be identified as the match. If there are multiple matches, the user should be presented with the list of matches, sorted by distance between the user's location and the location of the database entry in ascending order.

6. Map display. At a minimum, this should be a square or circle with a dot in the center representing the scanner location, and additional dots representing towers broadcasting transmissions currently being received. So if you're receiving a transmission from XYZ system Site 1, you'll see a dot labeled "Site 1" where the site is located, and circles or rectangles representing the coverage areas for the Site and Department on the map display. The map display is in addition to the current System/Department/Channel display. This will better inform the user where traffic is coming from, and why he may be having reception issues, and make it easier to see if there are location data errors in the database, such as sites in the wrong place, or Radius values that are too large or too small.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'll just copy/paste my list from this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/345960-challenge-uniden.html

Listed below are some MUST haves I want to see in the next version in the x36HP line. Unless otherwise specified, items apply to both handheld and base/mobile versions.

--Multicolor display screen, user selectable. You know, like the x96s offered.

--Integrated GPS receiver. The current BC-GPSK unit is outdated and presents a giant nest of wires and bulky connectors and adapters. Put the GPS "guts" in the scanner and utilize a small external antenna w/MCX connector (similar to the XM-style) for reception.

--A real remote head for the base/mobile unit. Whistler already did it.

--A better SD Card slot position for the handheld version.

--Also for the handheld version, an option in the menu to "permanently" disable battery charging. It's annoying having to tell my 436 every time I connect it to external power that I don't want to charge the batteries.

I didn't list Bluetooth because I remember reading here...somewhere...UPMan stating that adding Bluetooth had been researched, but dropped due to interference issues.

Now, for added clarity and emphasis, I'll put forth that if Uniden chooses not to include at least the integrated GPS and the "real" remote head in the "Next Gen" line of scanners, they really shouldn't even bother developing a Next Gen line at all.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Color Screen

A built in app that lets you listen to scanner feeds.

pb_lonny

5. Search / Close Call database lookup. If the scanner gets a hit on a frequency, and there is a match in the database within the scanner's Range setting, the Search / Close Call hit should be identified as the match. If there are multiple matches, the user should be presented with the list of matches, sorted by distance between the user's location and the location of the database entry in ascending order.

I would LOVE to see this :)

marksmith

How about adding affordable to the wish list.
Based on what I am reading, you better have at least $1200 or so to drop, because of the GPS, simulcast coverage and other things.

In fact, better make that closer to $2500. Even the real simulcast radios don't have onboard gps and these other wish functions like map displays and such, and they are in the $2000-3000 range.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Drumbum

I don't think it would be too much to ask to have one that will fully charge while listening to it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's worth noting that half of the items in my list (global default settings, functional AGC, and Close Call / Search lookup, could easily be implemented in the x36 line if scanners with firmware updates. A rudimentary map display could be shown, too, if the font size of the system/department/channel was reduced.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Based on what I am reading, you better have at least $1200 or so to drop, because of the GPS, simulcast coverage and other things.

Integrated GPS adds $10-20 retail. Note the price difference between the TYT MD-390 with GPS vs. without GPS.

As to the map function, what I'm proposing could be implemented on the current x36 scanners with a firmware update--a simple square or circle with a center dot representing the scanner location and surrounding dots representing broadcast towers that either flash or change color when a transmission is detected from them. That doesn't require anything more than a bit of vector math to show distance and bearing from current location to tower location.

Simulcast and multiple receivers would add to cost. The scanner could ship with 1 or 2 receiver modules installed, and the user could order additional modules later on as the budget allows, just like people buy a computer and upgrade RAM and such later on.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Integrated GPS adds $10-20 retail. Note the price difference between the TYT MD-390 with GPS vs. without GPS.

As to the map function, what I'm proposing could be implemented on the current x36 scanners with a firmware update--a simple square or circle with a center dot representing the scanner location and surrounding dots representing broadcast towers that either flash or change color when a transmission is detected from them. That doesn't require anything more than a bit of vector math to show distance and bearing from current location to tower location.

Simulcast and multiple receivers would add to cost. The scanner could ship with 1 or 2 receiver modules installed, and the user could order additional modules later on as the budget allows, just like people buy a computer and upgrade RAM and such later on.

Agreed. I own two Icom D Star radios with integrated GPS and they fit in my shirt pocket, and since they are going away soon, can be bought for three hundred bucks.

racingfan360

Is something as simple as NXDN decoding too much to ask for? Kinda hoping it makes it into the x36 range though,as opposed to having to wait for the next gen to arrive.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's another thing that could be implemented in current scanners with a firmware update.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My opinion is there will be no Next generation " of scanners in my area because of heavy "ENC" in most depts in my city and county...I sure wish some law could change the "ENC" law to the right of a citizen to at least hear normal PD and FD operations and only ENC tactical ops....Many people in my area have given up the hobby due to this problem and its getting more wide spread...I have been in the hobby more than 50 years and luv listening but i might as well give it up soon...Good listnening to those who dont have this problem...Thank You for reading this....

Status
Not open for further replies.