UHF Satcom Signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Can someone confirm whether or not these are uhf satcom signals please? location is sth east australia, and antenna is the turnstile i normally use for vhf NOAA wx sats.

many thanks.

Attachments

• sats.jpg
    sats.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,238

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
great, thanks mancow. i have the materials for the antenna mentioned in this forum, so i will start putting it together.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
wow! thanks rich. i'm very keen to hook into it this week now that i can see signals there.

mancow

Database Admin
I assume you won't have to put up with the incessant Portuguese down there?

spacellamaman

I assume you won't have to put up with the incessant Portuguese down there?

ha! i hadn't even thought about that possibility. must be nice if its the case. for the first time ever bout a week ago i heard english on 245.275, and crystal clear over a period of about 3 hours giving out co-ords. i was so excited about it for various reasons that it was a couple of days later that i realized it was the first non-ham sat Tx's i had ever been able to understand.

by the way, any info on where to get printed maps that use the co-ord system where the US co-ords are SPU##########etc, sorry i know off topic but i have looked unsuccessfully and ya'll seem to know most all about this sort of thing.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
SDRPlayer

A couple of useful indicators of antenna & system efficiency from over our way are:

• 250.550MHz - a continuous data transmission, and
  • 265.450MHz - at hour +20 minutes a data transmission that lasts for about 60 seconds.
I think both originate from UFO-F8 @ around 173E.

The signal on 249.045MHz may be coming from UFO-F4 @ 177W

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. got her built today, signals are stronger (nothing like Rich (rbm) screenshot yet) and im now getting another group of channels statring at 244.000 and some strong msfk type signal at 243.800 (centre freq). i might stand a chance of getting something above 250.00 now the antenna doesn't see the terrestrial digital tv that starts about there. At present, my reflector is your basic chook wire, but i will get some proper mesh tomorrow and see how we go.I'm very happy and greatful to the designers of the antenna and to those who posted and discussed it!

prcguy

Did you make an X-wing antenna? If so post some pics.
prcguy

Thanks everyone. got her built today, signals are stronger (nothing like Rich (rbm) screenshot yet) and im now getting another group of channels statring at 244.000 and some strong msfk type signal at 243.800 (centre freq). i might stand a chance of getting something above 250.00 now the antenna doesn't see the terrestrial digital tv that starts about there. At present, my reflector is your basic chook wire, but i will get some proper mesh tomorrow and see how we go.I'm very happy and greatful to the designers of the antenna and to those who posted and discussed it!

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
a couple of pics as promised. it's not pretty as i don't have the correct tools for cutting thin metal and i haven't made a frame yet, but a nice improvement on my original signals.

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 919
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 919
  • wf1.jpg
    wf1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 945
  • wf2.jpg
    wf2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 919

prcguy

You new antenna looks great, congratulations! A very low loss feedline will make a difference or you can place a remote TV type coax powered preamplifier near the antenna to make up for feedline loss. Looks like you have the coax phasing harness done properly, otherwise reception would be terrible.

Did you have any problem finding the type F "T" adapter or other parts listed in the article in the land of OZ?
prcguy

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, i have no fast access to the T piece at the moment so i used a small terminal block instead to get me up and running.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
signals seem to be stronger in the mornings, i've noticed the same thing with the inmarsats even with the dish, the signals weaken as the day goes on. according to the uhfsatcom site i'm getting all the UFO 2 and 7 channels. not sure about any of the fleetsat channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.