The Flaky iOS Siren App

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1IWN

Looking around this website among others to try to troubleshoot the iOS Siren app with the 536.

It works once in a while, seamlessly. Other times, I get voice, but a blank display. Other times I get absolutely nothing.

The dongle upgrade was done, the right IP for the scanner is loaded, and the scanner is recognized by the LAN.

One thing I notice is the Select Agency configuration mysteriously clears itself, which is concerning and annoying since I have to go in an reset it is all the time. Range loves to divert to "0".

I am using it with my favorites only, and not with the full database. Not sure if that has any effect, or why it would.

Any help here would be sincerely appreciated.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When you write to the scanner, all scanner settings, not just frequencies, are copied from the computer to the scanner. You need to put the settings the way you want them in Sentinel (Edit Profile) before you write to the scanner.

K1IWN

When you write to the scanner, all scanner settings, not just frequencies, are copied from the computer to the scanner. You need to put the settings the way you want them in Sentinel (Edit Profile) before you write to the scanner.

I do that, Jon. The settings & freqs associated with them are matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you ever edited your scanner profile in Sentinel?

K1IWN

Have you ever edited your scanner profile in Sentinel?

Yes, I have done so. I check the profile page and compare to the channel page whenever I update my favorites to make sure all services that I require are turned on for monitoring. From there I upload the file to the scanner, and I make sure that those same services are active on there, which they are.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
You say you use the app with favorites. I'm curious...do you have a problem turning favorite lists above 10 on and off? Whenever I try and turn off FL 11, it turns off FL1, same with 21, turns off FL2

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes, I have done so. I check the profile page and compare to the channel page whenever I update my favorites to make sure all services that I require are turned on for monitoring.

I ask because Range is one of the settings in the scanner profile in the Location Settings tab. The profile value will overwrite the scanner setting when you write to the scanner.

K1IWN

I ask because Range is one of the settings in the scanner profile in the Location Settings tab. The profile value will overwrite the scanner setting when you write to the scanner.

The range values are consistent between profile location settings tab as well as the scanner and the app.

In addition to quadruple checking service types, location settings and range for consistent values, I have uninstalled the app and shut the device off. I have cleared all favorites lists from the scanner, then shut the scanner off. At that point I have turned the scanner back on, reloaded the favorites lists and then turned on the device and reloaded the app. The IP for the scanner is recognized by the app. I set the service types in Select Agency, and set the range the same as in the profile.

It works for awhile as it should.

I leave the app, come back to it later (either hours or next day) and what service types & range settings I made are gone. I have not updated or altered the scanner in any matter, not even shutting it off. The device using the app was not shut off. I reset the service types and range. The results are I get voice with no display.

After that, I will come back to it again a time later, and I get nothing. I start the process all over again.

The dongle is attached, running the green light through the whole process. Updating the dongle when I first bought it was a struggle but I got it done.

I have tried to engage the scanner with the app from another room on the same floor or one floor above or below.

I have stick built house with a traditional roof, not a metal one. I live in a remote area with no radio or microwave interference. I have no interference from other wifi, unless the moose are screwing with me.

This baffles me, because it works at first, perfectly and beautifully. I don't mess with anything, change nothing, and then it mysteriously loses function.

K1IWN

You say you use the app with favorites. I'm curious...do you have a problem turning favorite lists above 10 on and off? Whenever I try and turn off FL 11, it turns off FL1, same with 21, turns off FL2

I used four lists at first. I noticed there was an issue with the app almost soon after I started, so I paired it down to one list, thinking that may help. I've tried it with full database on, full database off. I created two short list of 15 freqs with meticulous attention to assigning quick keys and number tags. As I mentioned to Jon above, it worked great at first, then it mysteriously loses functionality, for whatever reason.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try a different SD card. If your settings are getting trashed for no obvious reason (not writing to scanner, etc.) then the card may be going bad.

K1IWN

Try a different SD card. If your settings are getting trashed for no obvious reason (not writing to scanner, etc.) then the card may be going bad.

I need you to enlighten me further as to why you think it is an SD card issue when I have no problems operating the scanner itself. The settings and operation of the 536 itself remains consistent with no issues at all. I can upload with no issues, and I can offload searches with no issues.

There is no corruption of any form other than app function. The scanner does not lose functionality. The app does.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm confused. In your first post, you said your Range setting was getting reset to zero. Are you not referring to the Range setting in the scanner?

K1IWN

I'm confused. In your first post, you said your Range setting was getting reset to zero. Are you not referring to the Range setting in the scanner?

This thread is about the app.

One thing I notice is the Select Agency configuration mysteriously clears itself, which is concerning and annoying since I have to go in an reset it is all the time. Range loves to divert to "0".

"Select Agency" is the app version of service types.

Range is mysteriously being reset to zero in the app.

All service types aka Select Agency mysteriously get shut off in the app.

The scanner works correctly.

Range in the scanner holds as programmed and does not change.

Service types in the scanner hold as programmed and does not change.

Scanner receives all transmissions for the freqs it is programmed for.

Scanner uploads full database, favorite lists, and profiles correctly.

Scanner downloads searches and recordings correctly.

All firmware updates for the 536 and the dongle have been completed without error.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK. So if you just run the scanner by itself, everything works as expected and your settings are not corrupted, but when you control the scanner with the app, everything gets messed up?

K1IWN

OK. So if you just run the scanner by itself, everything works as expected and your settings are not corrupted, but when you control the scanner with the app, everything gets messed up?

When the app WORKS I can control the scanner from it.

The app DOES NOT corrupt the scanner functionality OR performance in ANY shape, matter, or form.

The scanner operates as programmed without ANY issues before, during, and after using the app.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused. If you are scanning a Favorite List, or Lists, why be concerned with the range value? You're not Zip Code scanning, or doing any kind of location based anything. You are scanning your Favorites List(s). Range should not be an issue.

K1IWN

I'm confused. If you are scanning a Favorite List, or Lists, why be concerned with the range value? You're not Zip Code scanning, or doing any kind of location based anything. You are scanning your Favorites List(s). Range should not be an issue.

That has nothing to do with my issue. The problem is with the app's performance.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The reason the other posters were mentioning the possibility of SD Card issues was due to your very first post where you mentioned that the range was being reset to zero. When the SD Card gets corrupted weird voodoo could happen. Whether it actually affects your issue or not cannot be determined unless you try replacing or reformatting your SD Card. This often clears up problems, it may or may not fix yours but it is worth a shot. It is like restarting a computer when things get wonky, it often works but no one really knows what the issue was that caused the wonkiness.

Personally however I think the issue is more likely with the network or the app installation. Try deleting the app from your device and reinstalling it and perhaps rebooting the router.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The reason the other posters were mentioning the possibility of SD Card issues was due to your very first post where you mentioned that the range was being reset to zero. When the SD Card gets corrupted weird voodoo could happen. Whether it actually affects your issue or not cannot be determined unless you try replacing or reformatting your SD Card. This often clears up problems, it may or may not fix yours but it is worth a shot. It is like restarting a computer when things get wonky, it often works but no one really knows what the issue was that caused the wonkiness.

Personally however I think the issue is more likely with the network or the app installation. Try deleting the app from your device and reinstalling it and perhaps rebooting the router.

I have top ask. Rich, what about the favorite list bug? Try to turn on QK 21, it turns off QK 2. It will not control any QK over 9

Status
Not open for further replies.