NOAA Weather Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikev

I know that at this time, the stance on NOAA Weather Radio streaming is to redirect folks to Weather Underground. Well, Weather Underground seems to be having issues with its streaming server, and after contacting them about it, it sounds like there's a chance they might not bring it back.

Here is the response I received from one of their Support folks:
We're currently unable to provide the weather radio feeds due to an unknown technical problem. We're investigating and will restore if possible. However, with the ever-decreasing listenership, it might no longer be viable.

If they decide to not bring their weather radio streaming back online, is there a possibility of changing this policy to allow NOAA Weather Radio streaming through Broadcastify/RR?

richtidd

Database Admin
I know that at this time, the stance on NOAA Weather Radio streaming is to redirect folks to Weather Underground. Well, Weather Underground seems to be having issues with its streaming server, and after contacting them about it, it sounds like there's a chance they might not bring it back.

Here is the response I received from one of their Support folks:

If they decide to not bring their weather radio streaming back online, is there a possibility of changing this policy to allow NOAA Weather Radio streaming through Broadcastify/RR?

Only if Lindsay says so.

mikev

It looks to me like Weather Underground has given up on their streaming server. Both the audiostream.wunderground.com and audioplayer.wunderground.com hostnames no longer resolve through DNS.

While I've gone to hosting my own stream through a VPS and am trying to get a variety of radio directories to update their listing to point to my server, I would imagine that others would prefer to host through a resource such as this site as they might not have the knowledge to do it themselves.

Weather Underground's directory last showed over 120 streams with over 160 people listening. We all know that NOAA Weather Radio experiences boosts in listenership with severe weather. Heck, you might even be able to work something out with Weather Underground where they redirect people looking for NOAA Weather Radio streams to your site.

mikev

Well, anyone that has asked Weather Underground support has likely been told that they're calling it quits as far as NWR streaming goes, though an official announcement won't be made until the beginning of March, for whatever reason.

I know some folks, like myself, have found other hosting services for their streams, and have even had their TuneIn directory entries updated to point to their new streams. But I'm sure there are still plenty of others that would like to find a place to have their NWR stream hosted, if this site would accept them.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I've always wondered why RR/BCFY never allowed weather feeds. They always directed people to wunderground. They allow aircraft feeds, and never have directed people towards LiveATC. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

richtidd

Database Admin
I've always wondered why RR/BCFY never allowed weather feeds. They always directed people to wunderground. They allow aircraft feeds, and never have directed people towards LiveATC. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

Here is Lindsay's last comments on this last year:
Here is his reply:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the value in us providing NOAA Weather radio streams...

Unless this changes, we will not approve them.

dampier

Feed Provider
Anyone have any suggestions for alternate hosting. I supplied the Rochester feed for probably the last 7-9 years through Weather Underground. I too am surprised by the lack of interest to host them here. When my feed does go down I have 5-10 voice mails within 24 hours from residents and boaters who literally relied on my feed and miss it because of poor reception via VHF, including the blind and visually impaired. I would say these feeds get about as many listeners or more than some rural public safety channels.

toastycookies

Anyone have any suggestions for alternate hosting. I supplied the Rochester feed for probably the last 7-9 years through Weather Underground. I too am surprised by the lack of interest to host them here. When my feed does go down I have 5-10 voice mails within 24 hours from residents and boaters who literally relied on my feed and miss it because of poor reception via VHF, including the blind and visually impaired. I would say these feeds get about as many listeners or more than some rural public safety channels.

TuneIn Radio

NOAA Weather Radio Online: Listen to local channels | weatherUSA

scottct1

Feed Provider
The ones TuneIn Radio lists are from Weather Underground.

WeatherUnderground will be announcing the shut down of the NWS streams on March 1st.

I have just purchased a dedicated weather radio and am building a PI to stream it. Guess I will just need to stream it off of one of my servers.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
NOAA WX Radio Coverage?

Here is Lindsay's last comments on this last year:
Here is his reply:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the value in us providing NOAA Weather radio streams...

Unless this changes, we will not approve them.

With the apparent withdrawal of Wunderground audio streaming of NOAA WX radio stations around the country. This leaves a hole in coverage audio stream wise. The remaining two vendor links posted have limited NOAA stations listed and or are based on the now defunct Wunderground list. Things do change in a year.
However, I also do understand there may be liability issues especially with "short fuse" warnings issued by NWS where "time" is critical and seconds count when it pertains to life and property. Especially with the "normal" few seconds delay inherent with all RR audio feeds.
Taking all things in to consideration, p
erhaps a timely and careful revisit, review and reconsideration on on covering NOAA WX radio via live feed should take place by Lindsay and senior RR staff?

Respectfully submitted for review.

Thank you,

dampier

Feed Provider
There are a bunch of volunteers relaunching this service and getting feeds up and running involves changing a few lines in the config file formerly used with Weather Underground. Takes less than a minute. Details are here: NOAA WEATHER RADIO

We have about three dozen streams back up and running so far. This site Noaa All Hazards Weather Radio lists most of the resurrected streams.

I can tell you the National Weather Service regional offices took a lot of complaint calls when the service went down and they do recognize and appreciate our efforts. These streams are important for rural residents, boaters, and the visually impaired community. Mine was favorited 2,700 times on TuneIn. We also know the listener numbers shown on Weather Underground were vastly understated because of their own server issues. My feed has at least two listeners 24/7 -- the AM radio Highway Advisory Radio services in our area that rely on my feed to deliver weather info to listeners when there are no advisories.

I think there is a real audience for these services, however improbable it would seem.

richtidd

Database Admin
This from Lindsay today:
"OK - I'll now allow NOAA Weather Radio Streams to be hosted here.
I'll update the terms of service this weekend."

We will add them as "Other" feeds.

Thanks,

--
Lindsay C. Blanton III
CEO / Founder
Broadcastify.com

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
The is from Lindsay today:
"OK - I'll now allow NOAA Weather Radio Streams to be hosted here.
I'll update the terms of service this weekend."

We will add them as "Other" feeds.

Thanks,

--
Lindsay C. Blanton III
CEO / Founder
Broadcastify.com

Our standard primary feed description will be something like:
xxxx NOAA Weather

Where xxxx is the City or Area the feed is covering.

The words "Radio or Feed" will not be used in the primary description as it is not needed and redundant since all feeds are from a radio. You may include that info in the secondary description and or the feed info page.

At this time I added two Weather feeds from recent applications. Hopefully they will come online soon.

When applying, please include all info to what will be on the feed.

1979lee

Awsome!! I love noaa feeds from far away. i used to get quite a few here at my home, but noaa messed around and ruined that my repeating another feed. i was able to hear ridgecrest ca weather(100 miles away and over the sierra nevada mountains). hope that feed comes back. noaa 162.425mhz el paso mountain site calif. hawthorn nev was another fav, okc too. thank you Mr Lindsay for allowing noaa!

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
For weather feeds originating from Canada, will they still use the "xxxx NOAA Weather" format? NOAA is specific to the United States, in Canada it's called Weatheradio Canada. However, other than the name they are almost identical. They use the same frequencies and alerting criteria.

richtidd

Database Admin
For weather feeds originating from Canada, will they still use the "xxxx NOAA Weather" format? NOAA is specific to the United States, in Canada it's called Weatheradio Canada. However, other than the name they are almost identical. They use the same frequencies and alerting criteria.

Email me with suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.