MSP Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb1elv

All,

Just got a new BCD436HP, loaded the MSP trunk with the sites I wanted. I noticed I wasn't getting anything from Zone 1 while my old unit right next to it was. Turns out the database was missing a Control Channel on 854.3625. Once I added that it was working just fine.

On another note, very difficult trying to figure out the usefulness of the 700 overlay when I already have most of those on Zone 1, conventional channels, Cambridge, etc. For example, I can hear the MBTA Police 4 different ways. Setting avoids helps but re-enabling them depending on where I get coverage is a pain, can never remember where they are buried.

gillham

Feed Provider
All,

Just got a new BCD436HP, loaded the MSP trunk with the sites I wanted. I noticed I wasn't getting anything from Zone 1 while my old unit right next to it was. Turns out the database was missing a Control Channel on 854.3625. Once I added that it was working just fine.

On another note, very difficult trying to figure out the usefulness of the 700 overlay when I already have most of those on Zone 1, conventional channels, Cambridge, etc. For example, I can hear the MBTA Police 4 different ways. Setting avoids helps but re-enabling them depending on where I get coverage is a pain, can never remember where they are buried.

It's funny you mention that - because lately I've been playing around with doing Temp (or permanent) lockouts on Sites. I was getting really annoyed with missing the beginnings of transmissions - so I pretty much only stay on Site 5 for my Billerica to Cambridge commute - but also was wondering why I never saw any signal strength for Site 1.
I'll have to look at how the Uniden is programmed with their factory database.. At one point I did my own - but I've since reverted back to the stock database that came with the unit.

I also feel your pain with regards to L/Os and trying to remember where different municipalities and jurisdictions are buried (especially those which are duplicated, like BAPERN as well). For that, I use a combination of my Baofeng, my Moto APX 7000, and the BCD436HP. Silly to have so many, but it works for me.

unleashedff248

Massachusetts DBA
Database Admin
All,

Hi kb1elv,

Please make a submission to the database with this information so we can get it corrected ASAP. Thanks for pointing this out.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kb1elv

It's funny you mention that - because lately I've been playing around with doing Temp (or permanent) lockouts on Sites. I was getting really annoyed with missing the beginnings of transmissions - so I pretty much only stay on Site 5 for my Billerica to Cambridge commute - but also was wondering why I never saw any signal strength for Site 1.

"Trick" I learned on youtube was to assign sites starting at 50. I will never have 50 departments. For me I prioritized them based on how often they are used. For example, to enable Zone 5 I only have to punch in 1.00.50 ("Fav list name" --> State Police TRS --> Metro Boston Simulcast). Next most commonly used site is Central Mass which is 1.00.51. I have a printout that is a cheat sheet but eventually I'll have it all memorized.

I'm doing it this way because it makes sense to me, but I could have a very flawed understanding of how things are supposed to work. Big mental shift compared to my old scanner.

I wish sites weren't on the same level as departments. My BC346XT was way easier, I had quick keys for the various MSP sites. I'd just tap one number to toggle the site on or off. Cross over to Central MA zone, tap another to turn on that site.

gillham

Feed Provider
"Trick" I learned on youtube was to assign sites starting at 50. I will never have 50 departments. For me I prioritized them based on how often they are used. For example, to enable Zone 5 I only have to punch in 1.00.50 ("Fav list name" --> State Police TRS --> Metro Boston Simulcast). Next most commonly used site is Central Mass which is 1.00.51. I have a printout that is a cheat sheet but eventually I'll have it all memorized.

I'm doing it this way because it makes sense to me, but I could have a very flawed understanding of how things are supposed to work. Big mental shift compared to my old scanner.

I wish sites weren't on the same level as departments. My BC346XT was way easier, I had quick keys for the various MSP sites. I'd just tap one number to toggle the site on or off. Cross over to Central MA zone, tap another to turn on that site.

It's funny you mention that, because my BC346 is downstairs doing ProScan - and I agree! I had Zone 1 programmed to a key, and then Zone 5 programmed to the next one, so on and so forth. And I could just turn one on (or off). Just now, my 436HP decided to pull a transmission from Zone 8 - and it was riddled with static.

I agree it's a bit cumbersome to manipulate sites when the button is doubled up with department (again, like you, maybe I don't have a strong understanding of the 'right' way to do it). I'm wondering if the GPS antenna will do automatic Site L/O?

ecps92

As to the over-lay, not easy from a Scanning perspective.
If you can hear Zone 1, then you should be Fine, no need for the 700

IT is more for the Radios themselves. Limited 800 Mhz avalable, just like Area Code over-lays when Phone #'s ran out. It is used to fill in the gaps
All,

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Hi kb1elv,

Please make a submission to the database with this information so we can get it corrected ASAP. Thanks for pointing this out.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All set. I worked it this afternoon.

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
re 854.3625

Interesting...this frequency was a CC for zone 1 a year or so as well then it seemed to disappear. Made for an interesting problem trying to monitor zone 4 on the Cape while in Provincetown. Zone 4 uses 855.5375 as primary CC with 854.3625 as alt CC. I couldn't figure out why I was not receiving zone 4 traffic while at Herring Cove Beach on NW side of Provincetown, directly across the water from Boston. Finally realized the scanner was locking on zone 1 and not zone 4. Had to manually make up a Zone 4 group with just 855.5375. Something to keep in mind if your're in that area.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Even though I'm rarely far enough down in SE Mass to hear Zone 4, I've had it in my scanners for several years. Last fall I was on I-93 north of Boston and noticed MSP F-Patrol-1 displaying on my scanner. What was odd was that the display showed it as on Zone 4. It took me a couple of days to realize that Zone 1 and Zone 4 shared a control channel. Apparently this confused the scanner and resulted in the odd display.

My solution was to set Zone 4 to Avoid since I didn't really need it active.

As to the 700 Mhz Overlay, there isn't that much utility to listening to it if you can hear Zone 1. Which currently has better coverage anyway. As far as I can tell the only thing that's on the 700Mhz Overlay that isn't on Zone 1 is a few Boston FD TGs. Most of which are encrypted anyway.

I scan it, but mostly only to see if any new TGs pop up, which happens once in a while.

Interesting...this frequency was a CC for zone 1 a year or so as well then it seemed to disappear. Made for an interesting problem trying to monitor zone 4 on the Cape while in Provincetown. Zone 4 uses 855.5375 as primary CC with 854.3625 as alt CC. I couldn't figure out why I was not receiving zone 4 traffic while at Herring Cove Beach on NW side of Provincetown, directly across the water from Boston. Finally realized the scanner was locking on zone 1 and not zone 4. Had to manually make up a Zone 4 group with just 855.5375. Something to keep in mind if your're in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.