• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Extended Range Direct Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I am reading about this new feature that allows a single frequency "repeater". The system planner mentions using two antennas with separation specifications based on frequency.

The last thing the system planner refers to is "A single antenna may be used in conjunction with an RF switch capable of handling the repeaters TX power. GPIO output pin T/R Switch is be used to drive the switch."

Does anyone know of a specific part/model number capable of an RF switch that can handle the rapid switching of MOTOTRBO?

jruta

Single frequency repeater? Sounds like a "catch and release" forwarding repeater. The type that receives then re-broadcasts the signal on the a single frequency. Cheap little things and to my knowledge Moto never produced such an item. Only confusing thing is this would only require one antenna- and no "switching" involved. Unless I'm way off here, that's the closest thing that "kinda" fits the description that I can think of.

N1GTL

Database Admin
It uses the time slots for transmitting and receiving at the same time. If a subscriber is getting a better signal from another subscriber, it will "vote" that signal. If the signal is better from the repeater, it will use that signal. You can use 2 antennas with proper separation but it also mentions a TX/RX antenna switch. I found a Teledyne coax switch with 10ms switch times but I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing.

This feature was introduced in version 2.7.1 I have a few SLR5700 repeaters I can try this. I opened a case with /\/\ seeking an "officially recommended" T/R switch so if something blows up, it's not because I picked the wrong one.

I remember the "simplex repeaters" of the 1980's ham era where it recorded the TX then played it back. This is not the same thing. The voice delay is 90ms.

jruta

It uses the time slots for transmitting and receiving at the same time. If a subscriber is getting a better signal from another subscriber, it will "vote" that signal. If the signal is better from the repeater, it will use that signal. You can use 2 antennas with proper separation but it also mentions a TX/RX antenna switch. I found a Teledyne coax switch with 10ms switch times but I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing.

This feature was introduced in version 2.7.1 I have a few SLR5700 repeaters I can try this. I opened a case with /\/\ seeking an "officially recommended" T/R switch so if something blows up, it's not because I picked the wrong one.

I remember the "simplex repeaters" of the 1980's ham era where it recorded the TX then played it back. This is not the same thing. The voice delay is 90ms.

Ah interesting. Never knew that existed. Time for me to read up on MotoTurbo

N1GTL

Database Admin
Have you looked at Wayne''s post...

Extended Range Direct Mode - DJ0WH

I did see that post which gives a very basic explanation of how it works. It did not address exactly what part number/antenna switch is needed. I did get a reply from /\/\ tech support today; I just did not have time to look up the make and model numbers of what they provided. I'll follow up in a future post if anyone is really interested.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Here is the list I got for antenna relay options:

0310909E68 SCRTPG,M4X0.7X35,STARPAN STL ZINC( 2 req’d)

30009310002 CABLE, ANT RELAY DC

3084921Y21 RF CABLE,PA(N) TO ANTENNA RELAY(N)

40009272001 COAXIAL RELAY, 14V

ZS6HZ

I'm doing some investigating into setting up a two site ERDM system, so I'm looking at using a single antenna system at each site. The relay mentioned in N1GTL's post looks like an electromechanical relay that is used to allow a single antenna to be used if an SLR8000 repeater is in "Base Station" mode. It won't last very long if used in ERDM mode because it's life cycle of several million switching cycles will be reached fairly quickly if it is switching at 30ms bursts.

I've tried looking for PIN diode switches or other solid state devices, but I'm drawing a blank wherever I look.

Any ideas?

BTW, I have tested ERDM here in Denmark, and it seems to work very well indeed. You get repeater-like coverage on a simplex channel, and the portables select between repeater use and conventional simplex even within a call, so you can travel in and out of the coverage area without dropping calls.

ZS6HZ

Thank you for that information. I contacted RF Technology and they sent me some pricing information. They say they don't know what the switching time is for their switches, but I guess it should be fast enough.

I'll put in a formal request with my company to buy a sample and will get some testing done when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.