USAF FOX RELAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaMike

In doing some research I've run across the term "FOX RELAY" with regard to certain Alascom towers, many of which have history with the WHITE ALICE system. I have no idea if there is any relation, but I suspect not.

Specifically, there are a pair of parabolic dishes sharing the same azimuth on the Alascom Paxon tower at 62.967909, -145.469868

If anyone can shed any light on what "Fox Relay" is or was, in Alaska, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have my doubts that this has anything to do with activity on 30 Mhz or below, but I'll bite - what's Alascom? Is that a statewide trunk (I don't think we have anything on this in our db)?

Parabolic dishes are normally used on UHF frequencies and above, making me think this is some sort of a point to point relay.

Mike

AlaskaMike

My apologies, I posted that at 3am and clearly didn't put a lot of thought into it. You're absolutely correct--this has nothing to do with HF/MW/LW. I suspect it's 6 GHz microwave. I got way too wrapped up in researching that site last night.

What is now AT&T Alascom has a long history in Alaska, tracing back to before WWII. That history includes the WHITE ALICE system, and more recently rapidly deployable satellite earth stations.

Please move or delete this thread as you feel appropriate, and again my apologies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would have moved this to the Alaska forum, but seeing as this forum has very little activity, I moved it here. A mod may decide to kick this over, but perhaps here more folks will see it and someone may have an answer

Carry on...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.