DSD+ Audio Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
This is probably more computer and far less DSD+ related, but I think it might be best here.

The audio from my computer when using DSD+ is very bassy. Enough so that the audio is often muddy, even if I turn the volume up. Or maybe I should say when I turn the audio up enough to hear it.

I've been thinking of downloading an audio equalizer program and wonder if anyone has any experience using them.

I'm running an HP laptop with Windows 7. The so called mixer controls are pretty much none existent. I've looked on line and there are several, so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on which ones are good.

I've tried several different sets of external speakers, but they don't make a difference.

Thanks.

moonbounce

I get two different results on my two laptops, the older laptop ( Dell ) has better sound by far than my Lenovo laptop.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have no doubt that this is true. My new Acer i5 has better everything than my previous Asus laptop. It probably has better audio than the HP I'm using, but I don't want to use it for SDR since I specifically bought the HP for that.

Maybe it's my ears, but I think older versions of DSD+ had crisper audio on both DMR and NXDN.

I get two different results on my two laptops, the older laptop ( Dell ) has better sound by far than my Lenovo laptop.

racingfan360

I've probably just been lucky in that I've never experienced the bassy output from DSD+ despite having run multiple versions on many different platforms. One thing you might want to consider is adding a new USB soundcard. I use a star tech usb card as input from a tapped scanner into a win10 tablet, then use the onboard soundcard for output.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That would work if I were using a tapped scanner, but I'm using an Airspy for CC and a R820T2 dongle for VC. Which is why I'm thinking about an equalizer program.

I've probably just been lucky in that I've never experienced the bassy output from DSD+ despite having run multiple versions on many different platforms. One thing you might want to consider is adding a new USB soundcard. I use a star tech usb card as input from a tapped scanner into a win10 tablet, then use the onboard soundcard for output.

garys

Premium Subscriber
This is what he wrote,

One thing you might want to consider is adding a new USB soundcard. I use a star tech usb card as input from a tapped scanner into a win10 tablet, then use the onboard soundcard for output.

If I understand this correctly, he's using USB sound card to feed sound into the computer and then using the computers native sound card to power his speakers.

Or did I misunderstand him?

He's referring to using it for output, not input.

racingfan360

Actually, you're both right.....i currently use a seperate usb sound card for input, but what I was implying was that Garys might want to try it for output. Sorry, maybe I should have spelt that out more clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.