MD-380 Problems in Newberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

Over the weekend I picked up a TYT MD-380. I attempted to program the radio but my win 10 computer and the software would not talk to the radio. Today I attempted to update the firmware. Now the radio just lights up and beeps. Is there anyone in Newberg or the surrounding area available to help me get this radio updated and programmed?

Thanks,

Matt
KG6YLJ

bears3312

Over the weekend I picked up a TYT MD-380. I attempted to program the radio but my win 10 computer and the software would not talk to the radio. Today I attempted to update the firmware. Now the radio just lights up and beeps. Is there anyone in Newberg or the surrounding area available to help me get this radio updated and programmed?

Thanks,

Matt
KG6YLJ

I have one I live in camas wa what firmware are you tri to get
thanks bears3312

GrumpyGuard

The original firmware was D013.020 with CP Vol 1.30. I attempted to upgrade to TYT-TFT-MD380-D3.32. I hate to think that I bricked this radio.

cinsu

What are you trying to program into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinsu

I just got on recently myself with a Tera 4400. Not sure what the firmware update issue may be but sounds like it got stuck along the way somehow.

Did you get an ID from DMR-MARC already?

GrumpyGuard

I just got on recently myself with a Tera 4400. Not sure what the firmware update issue may be but sounds like it got stuck along the way somehow.

Did you get an ID from DMR-MARC already?

I am waiting for my ID. with the holiday weekend it might take a little longer. Something I noticed about the repeaters in Oregon and Washington is they don't have time slots or talk groups listed. When programming these into the radio do we just assume that it is time slot one?

cinsu

I am waiting for my ID. with the holiday weekend it might take a little longer. Something I noticed about the repeaters in Oregon and Washington is they don't have time slots or talk groups listed. When programming these into the radio do we just assume that it is time slot one?

Search for the PNW DMR website. A TON of good info on there. The time slot is associated with the talk group and PNW DMR will list each talk group that is available. The North Oregon repeaters operate different than most so be sure to read thru that. When you get online there are a couple nets on Wednesday on PNW 2 and Oregon 1 and a national net on Tac 310 on Sunday

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The original firmware was D013.020 with CP Vol 1.30. I attempted to upgrade to TYT-TFT-MD380-D3.32. I hate to think that I bricked this radio.

You didn't brick the radio. I do not have the radio yet. Just bought one today. Probably have it by Sat. According to what I read, you put the wrong firmware in the radio. Instructions I have found I copied and pasted here:
"The MD-380 has two versions, new vocoder and old vocoder, so please check version first in the radio, check menu-utilities-radio info-versions and if you find the version is D002 and D003, it should the old vocoder and the latest firmware is MD380-D3.20, while if the version is D013, the firmware should be MD380-D13.20"
Get the correct one here:
Programming Software & Firmware

Hope this helps,
Bob

Last edited:

GrumpyGuard

I was able to put the experimental version of the firmware on the radio and it now boots. Now if only the programming software would communicate with the radio.
Pro106inport thank you.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I was able to put the experimental version of the firmware on the radio and it now boots. Now if only the programming software would communicate with the radio.
Pro106inport thank you.

Glad I could help. I also read that Windows 10 doesn't like the drivers too much. Maybe it was just that persons setup, or maybe there is something to it. I always keep an old laptop hanging around that has Win XP on it for most of my radio programming. Maybe you have something else you can try? I don't have the radio yet so I can't help too much.
Bob

GrumpyGuard

You didn't brick the radio.

Bob, you are correct I didn't brick the radio. I was able to download and install the experimental version of the firmware. Now I just have to get Windows 10, the programming software, and radio to talk to each other so I can get the radio programmed.

radiotweester

Here's the link to the newest release of the "experimental" for your radio's firmware.
http://pd0zry.nl/md380-fw/firmware-20170218-000001-221fcec3.bin
You'll still have to input CC and TS. It allows backlight dimming control along with the other MD380Tools.
The firmware on almost all of the sites is outdated since the 13.xx series new vocoder firmware came out.

This site is mostly for developers and coders of firmware, but there's some cool info as well.
http://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools/issues

I'd also recommend the editor on VA3XPR's page over the stock software. You have to use the original TYT program to actually write info to the radio, but it's SO MUCH easier to enter (and copy) data. http://www.va3xpr.net/download/33544/

I don't know if it will make a difference with Windows 10, but here's the link to MD380 V1.32 You'll need 7zip or similar as it's a .rar file http://tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfiles/20161220133231.rar

Last edited:

GrumpyGuard

Here's the link to the newest release of the "experimental" for your radio's firmware.
http://pd0zry.nl/md380-fw/firmware-20170218-000001-221fcec3.bin
You'll still have to input CC and TS. It allows backlight dimming control along with the other MD380Tools.
The firmware on almost all of the sites is outdated since the 13.xx series new vocoder firmware came out.

This site is mostly for developers and coders of firmware, but there's some cool info as well.
http://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools/issues

I'd also recommend the editor on VA3XPR's page over the stock software. You have to use the original TYT program to actually write info to the radio, but it's SO MUCH easier to enter (and copy) data. http://www.va3xpr.net/download/33544/

I don't know if it will make a difference with Windows 10, but here's the link to MD380 V1.32 You'll need 7zip or similar as it's a .rar file http://tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfiles/20161220133231.rar

This is a lot of information. I downloaded the code plug editor and I am using it to edit the code plug from the link listed above. The PNW DMR group has quite a bit of information and I am sifting through it. I hope to have windows 10 and the radio playing nicely with each other soon.

Thank you everyone for your assistance and information you have provided.

R-Rizzo

I have a codeplug for all of Oregon, Most Washington DMR repeaters as well as the larger analog repeater groups if you still need one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GrumpyGuard

I have a codeplug for all of Oregon, Most Washington DMR repeaters as well as the larger analog repeater groups if you still need one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That would be great. I downloaded one but I am not able to access anything.
I was finally able to get the radio and computer to transfer information and would love to get on the air.

cinsu

There are 2 nets tonight if you are able to get it setup, PNW 2 at 7 I believe and Oregon 1 at 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.