• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

engco1020

Premium Subscriber
new the forum and I just bought Motorola cps software and cable for xts portable I was wondering what would be a good laptop to start with running the software and programming don't want to spend much thanks

ME801

I know someone (not me) that got a HP laptop with Win10 off eBay for a couple of hundred dollars, works fine for them

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You can read the system requirements in the CPS_ReadMe file in your Astro 25 zip package.

The highest version of Windows officially supported is Windows 8.

From the file:
System Requirements:
====================
Operating Systems: Windows XP (SP 3 or higher)
Vista 32-bit (SP 2 or higher)
Windows 7 (SP 1 or higher)
Windows 8

NOTE: XP upgrade, Vista upgrade, Windows 7 upgrade and Windows 8
upgrade from other operating systems is not supported.

Hardware Requirements:
======================
Processor 400 MHz or higher Pentium grade Processor for XP
Vista, windows 7 and Windows 8 require 1 GHz

Memory 512 MB RAM minimum for XP
1 GB RAM minimum for VISTA
1 GB RAM for Windows 7 32-bit, 2 GB RAM for Windows 7 64-bit
1 GB RAM for Windows 8 32-bit, 2 GB RAM for Windows 8 64-bit

Hard Disk Space 1 Gigabyte Drive with 350 MB minimum free space
(for a Typical Installation, including Help
Audio-Visual Tutorials) or 150 MB minimum free
space (for a Compact installation)
40 GB hard drive for Vista
16 GB minimum free space for Windows 7 32-bit or 20 GB for Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB minimum free space for Windows 8 32-bit or 20 GB for Windows 8 64-bit

Peripherals Microsoft Windows supported Mouse or Trackball
Microsoft Windows supported Serial Port
for radio communication
Microsoft Windows supported Printer Port
for report printing
DVD-ROM for software installation

NOTE: For computers that are not equipped with
a serial port, radio communications may be
possible with the use of an off-the-shelf
USB to RS232 converter, such as the IOGEAR
USB to Serial/PDA Converter Cable.

ME801

Probably be smartest to follow MTS's advice. I just went back and read my CPS read me file and MTS's post is correct.
I don't know why my supervisors HP with Win10 works, but it's probably a fluke.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't know why my supervisors HP with Win10 works, but it's probably a fluke.

The difference between MAY work and SUPPORTED means the difference between being able to open a case if something goes wrong and getting support and being told to go away.

Astro 25 Portable and Mobile will run just fine on MOST Win10 installations, but it is not guaranteed by MSI.

Whether or not MSI will introduce a newer version of Astro 25 CPS is doubtful, being that the product line is already in extended support. The last HOST update was in October of last year (20.50.09)

com501

ME801;2721269 I don't know why my supervisors HP with Win10 works said:
HPs, Lenovos and Surface units seem to be the most compatible, but you are better off gettning something new with downgrade rights to Win7 for another year, at least.

engco1020

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the help win 10 does work but I bought a cheaper windows7 to do my programming with just got it back from the 911 center and now to put channel announcement on it change a few things thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.