Programming 800mhz simulcast sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire1429

I monitor a p25 simulcast system that has about 10 sights. But I was wondering what if I were to program the control channels from different sights(tower) under one sight in the scanner .. would it automatically pick up the sight(tower) that I'm close to and when I travel towards another tower would it automatically switch. Of course the id's I'm lisenting to would have to be associated with those towers but would it work?? Sorry if I don't make any sense or if I ain't using the correct terms. This is just a thought I have and wanted to see if any one has programmed there scanner like this ???

smithken

Premium Subscriber
If I understand simulcast systems correctly all of the sites will have the same control channel.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Correct. ALL sites in a simulcast system have the same EVERYTHING (frequencies, control channels, voice channels, talk groups). From a system standpoint it is ONE site with a large coverage area.
BB

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You will also find that some circumstances, such as a shortage of dispatch personnel, will result in sites being combined and dispatched from one console rather than individual dispatchers.

marksmith

If you have different control channels at different sites, and are mobile, when the scanner scans the "system" you propose, it should theoretically lock on to the first control channel it can receive (may or may not be the strongest) and check for activity.

If it finds activity it directs to a voice frequency, and if not, it moves to the next system, favorites list, or scanlist. It will not check the other control channels you programmed, even if one might be stronger.

Eventually, if only the local strong site can be received, what you suggest would then work.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That is a multi-site system. You could program all sites, at least fundamentally. The scanner will monitor the control channel for one site for a short period of time to check for activity. It then moves on to the next site, then the next, etc.

Practically you probably only need to program those sites which are within about 30 miles of you. These would be close enough to receive. You don't want to spend any scanning time attempting to listen to a site too far away to receive.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In a true simulcast system, you only enter one site into the scanner, because all broadcast towers in the system use the exact same frequencies for control channel and voice. The scanner only needs to monitor the one control channel frequency for the entire system.

If each tower has its own control channel frequency, then the system is not simulcast.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you program all physical site control channels into one site in the scanner, the scanner will only monitor traffic for the first control channel it can detect. If there are 5 receivable control channels where you are and only one is strong, and that one is the last one in the list, it will never be monitored and you'll both miss a lot of traffic and also have poor reception on the traffic you do get.

marksmith

In a true simulcast system, you only enter one site into the scanner, because all broadcast towers in the system use the exact same frequencies for control channel and voice. The scanner only needs to monitor the one control channel frequency for the entire system.

If each tower has its own control channel frequency, then the system is not simulcast.
He is already indicating that each site has different control channels.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Status
Not open for further replies.