LAPD + Long Beach PD start patrolling MTA Bus & Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
LA County MTA board today voted to enter into 5-year agreements with the cities of Los Angeles and Long Beach for law enforcement services effective July 1st as they seek to improved response times and service delivery.

As result contract with LA County Sheriff's Department which currently patrols entire metro system will be reduced to coverage of only areas outside jurisdictions of the cities of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

The proposal calls for LAPD to establish a "Transit" division fielding 168 personnel per day covering the following:
> Entire Red Line;
> Entire Purple Line;
> Entire Orange Line;
> Portions of the Blue Line, Gold Line, Expo Line, Green Line, and Silver line within the City of Los Angeles
> Metro bus service within the City of Los Angeles.

Long Beach will provide law enforcement services fielding 14 field personnel covering
>10 Blue Line stations
> Metro bus service within City of Long Beach

Suppose we might soon start hearing a new dedicated LAPD dispatch/tac frequencies for the futureTransit Division.

MTA docs say multi-agency law enforcement dispatching will be co-located within the MTA bus/rail command center.

jrholm

this should be interesting, considering they already tried this and it didn't work. I think Long Beach might be okay, but LAPD has a bad history of trying contract law services and they never perform.

PaulNDaOC

I would love to know where LAPD is going to come up with all those bodies without affecting already below minimum staffing service in the rest of the city.

We have been this route before and LAPD lost the contract for reasons that likely will be repeated again.

On the the plus side,,,there is a bit less pressure to hire recruits over at LASD.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I recall reading somewhere (LA Times?) when the LASD contract change first came up for a vote last fall that the LAPD stated it would initially staff about half of the daily transit positions using overtime.

PaulNDaOC

I wish LAPD luck if they are using that muck OT, as they're gonna need it.

Transit policing is a whole different world than LAPD is used to, and they can't expect to throw up a sign-up sheet at Rampart and get the job done.

MTA operations has its own policy and procedures manual at LASD, it's that specialized.

I suppose to meet contract staffing LAPD will stick a guy on OT with a transit trained officer in an Adam unit, but they will lose a lot of the visibility that MTA received with all the one-man/woman units and motors LASD fielded on days and pm's.

Radio_Lady

How's that again?

I recall reading somewhere (LA Times?) when the LASD contract change first came up for a vote last fall that the LAPD stated it would initially staff about half of the daily transit positions using overtime.
This article, flyer?

How to make riders feel safer on L.A.'s public transit system - LA Times
11/28/2016

"...Metro leaders have grown increasingly frustrated with the sheriff’s service. A 2014 analysis found that violent crime increased on the sheriff’s watch. Additional reviews found poor system-wide visibility of deputies, along with unreliable staffing of patrols and a heavy reliance on deputies working overtime.

"The new Metro plan calls for splitting up the $527-million, five-year contract for policing. The LAPD would patrol trains and buses within the city, covering roughly half of the rail stations and 60% of the bus service. Long Beach police would patrol eight Blue Line stations within that city’s jurisdiction. The sheriff’s department would patrol the rest of the system. Metro would rely on basic 911 police response to fill in the gaps between patrols. All told, the proposal would be nearly $100 million cheaper than hiring more sheriff’s deputies.

"There is no question that Metro needs a new plan to police the system, but is this the right model? The agency wants “community policing” in which officers get to know the regular riders and operators, as well as the problems in and around the system. But the LAPD would staff its transit patrols with overtime shifts by officers who normally work other assignments. Metro wants to leverage “free” policing when riders dial 911. But that smacks of Metro foisting additional responsibilities on already overburdened police agencies."

Same circus, different clowns?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes that LA Times story is close enough and gets point across.
The article I saw had a quote from some LAPD brass with a bit more specifics on planned staffing plan.

PaulNDaOC

IMHO I think the biggest mistake LASD made on the light-rail is bringing in civilian fare checkers.

When the Blue line was newer chances were likely you would have your fare checked by a deputy and it seemed there was less crime then. I'm guessing with gunslingers interacting more with passengers it played into on board conduct.

With lower paid ticket writers doing the grunt work, deps got complacent, falling back into the role of well-paid security in a reactionary role rather than a pro-active one as observed commuting from Norwalk PAX to McArthur Park PAX for 2 long years.

It's human nature. Without good supervision it's gonna happen. There is no glory in riding the Metro.

On the flip side MTA should be thankful LASD took them on. How soon they forget the shambles their former PD was. You should have seen the officers that lateraled over from MTA PD. Only a couple would have cut it as an off-the-streeter at LAPD or LASD..,

shawn1899

Lapd transit

FYI lapd Transit is now on citywide tac6 as their primary. Have fun listening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
LAPD radio plan is to utilize Ch.48 (Citywide 6) as Transit dispatch, and Ch.49 (Citywide 7) as Transit fallback. The transit units will have be 31-xx callsigns.

Since these channels do not offer coverage underground, LAPD will be using the existing MTA Tunnel channels which are patched to LASD D-35 and TSB L-Tac but only for emergency assistance requests. The goal is to have LAPD channel coverage in the tunnels later in the summer.

Db has been updated.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
Incorrect Info

LAFLYER... Your information about CW Tac-7 is Transit Fallback is incorrect.. It is still CW Tac-7 and will continued to be used as CW Tac-7It is not their fallback..... you may want to change your database...

CW Tac-6 is being utilized as TSD Dispatch.

Regards,
KG6GTH

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Use of CW6 & 7 by LAPD was mentioned at MTA meeting on the 17th, so unless if things have changed in the last week, that is their plan once the transit division is fully operational.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
Coming from the "HORSES MOUTH" as I mentioned, you are correct about CW Tac-6 , but incorrect about CW Tac-7... That WILL NOT BE USED as the TSD FALLBACK....

jrholm

actually their plan is all overtime, other than a small full time admin staff

PaulNDaOC

actually their plan is all overtime, other than a small full time admin staff

I'm not sutre what MTA thinks they will get from tired officers working T-bone, that are not familiar with the transit system, like how to disable a bus from the outside, and such.

jrholm

Apparently the fun and games with LAPD has already begun, that's all I'll say about it for now.

PaulNDaOC

I predict thistory repeating itself. LBPD will do fine, but there was a reason LAPD lost their first MTA contract a little over a decade ago.

krazybob

IMHO I think the biggest mistake LASD made on the light-rail is bringing in civilian fare checkers.

When the Blue line was newer chances were likely you would have your fare checked by a deputy and it seemed there was less crime then. I'm guessing with gunslingers interacting more with passengers it played into on board conduct.

With lower paid ticket writers doing the grunt work, deps got complacent, falling back into the role of well-paid security in a reactionary role rather than a pro-active one as observed commuting from Norwalk PAX to McArthur Park PAX for 2 long years.

It's human nature. Without good supervision it's gonna happen. There is no glory in riding the Metro.

On the flip side MTA should be thankful LASD took them on. How soon they forget the shambles their former PD was. You should have seen the officers that lateraled over from MTA PD. Only a couple would have cut it as an off-the-streeter at LAPD or LASD..,
I realize that your statement was several months ago but your comments about MTA Police could not be further from the truth. I have trained with the old MTA police and they were no better or worse than the average city police officer. They went to the same academy I went to, they took the same advanced courses I took, and in all other respects were talented police officers certified by POST with authority anywhere in the state at any time. I have seen similar comments about school police not being "real police". Tell that to the Los Angeles Unified School District Police. Or the Pasadena Unified School District police. Both of these are riddled with gangs that don't like one another. My intent is not to be antagonistic at all but to bring a different set of eyes to this topic. I personally don't think LASD was doing a bad job at all. Their job has always been to move in and kick ***. Perhaps that's why MTA would like to change but how is LAPD any better? For that matter, how are 10 officers from LBPD going to be any better at it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.