• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Broadcastify Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
Just curious if anyone is using a G4 or G5 to stream on Broadcastify......and if so....how are you feeding the audio to the input on the computer used to feed it, since there is no headphone jack ?

jeb2942

Feed Provider
The easiest way would be to buy the Unication Charger Amplifier which has an output audio jack on it. I notice it's out of stock again at Scannermaster but Rayspagersales might have them.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Yes - I am feeding a P25 system with Unication G5 - using the Amplifier/Charging base. Has been stable for several months.

Jason

rogress

Yes - I am feeding a P25 system with Unication G5 - using the Amplifier/Charging base. Has been stable for several months.

Jason

Just curious, has anyone else hooked up a G4/5 to their Broadcasify feed since this was posted? I am going to try to do it with the audio output of the amplified base, but I noticed there is a significant "thump" associated with the squelch opening/closing, and it really makes it hard to use for a feed.

I may need to try to attenuate the output since it seems to be a speaker output and not a line output.

cpetraglia

You'll never get rid of the thump. You'll have to find a compatible BT receiver that does not have any beeps or unwanted noises. BT wont work while plugged into the charger base. You'll need to keep the Pager powered by USB all the time along with the BT device.

rogress

Thanks - I suspected as much. I've got the feed up with the G5 and the thump is definitely there. Sometimes it sounds like a delay before the audio kicks in. (Chesapeake Police). I'm also experimenting with different levels of attenuation.

I've ordered a BT receiver and will be trying that.

You'll never get rid of the thump. You'll have to find a compatible BT receiver that does not have any beeps or unwanted noises. BT wont work while plugged into the charger base. You'll need to keep the Pager powered by USB all the time along with the BT device.

rogress

An update on this. A bluetooth receiver has the same thump sound when the squelch opens/closes, so I decided to stick with the amplified charger to provide the feed.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
An update on this. A bluetooth receiver has the same thump sound when the squelch opens/closes, so I decided to stick with the amplified charger to provide the feed.
Have you tried turning the volume down as low as possible? I read somewhere here that the BT will not work with the unit in the charger. I am following this as I am considering a G4 for my feed.

rogress

Yes, I did experiment with adjusting the volume. It actually seems best with a high volume since the level of the thump is constant.

All that being said, this is better than the the Pro 106 that I used to use, since the G5 doesn't have any issues with simulcast distortion.

If they ever solve the beeping bluetooth issues I'll try bluetooth again instead of the amplified base.

Have you tried turning the volume down as low as possible? I read somewhere here that the BT will not work with the unit in the charger. I am following this as I am considering a G4 for my feed.

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - I suspected as much. I've got the feed up with the G5 and the thump is definitely there. Sometimes it sounds like a delay before the audio kicks in. (Chesapeake Police). I'm also experimenting with different levels of attenuation.

I've ordered a BT receiver and will be trying that.

I am getting that thump from the amp base. How are you running yours now? Yours sounds great!
Thanks for any help
Danny

rogress

I did abandon the bluetooth solution and stuck with the amp base. I use an attenuation cable between the speaker output of the base and a USB sound card. It seems to help if I can turn the volume up on the base.

The thump isn't bad, but for some reason it does seem to cut out the first part (1/2 second maybe?) of some of the transmissions. Some side effect of going through the amp base and a USB sound card. I haven't spent time figuring out what causes that.

I am getting that thump from the amp base. How are you running yours now? Yours sounds great!
Thanks for any help
Danny

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
I did abandon the bluetooth solution and stuck with the amp base. I use an attenuation cable between the speaker output of the base and a USB sound card. It seems to help if I can turn the volume up on the base.

The thump isn't bad, but for some reason it does seem to cut out the first part (1/2 second maybe?) of some of the transmissions. Some side effect of going through the amp base and a USB sound card. I haven't spent time figuring out what causes that.

That’s a great idea. What dB cable are you using?
Thanks for your help.

WaveJam

Feed Provider

I'm getting ready to throw my G5 on my feed (just waiting for the base to arrive). Question, with your base pumping audio into the feed, can you still use that front speaker too? Or, if you have the audio cable plugged in, does it disable the front speaker? I like to listen in live sometimes rather than through the feed and it would be nice if I had the option to just turn on that speaker.

I'm worried about that thump noise but.. a little bit of thumping is far better than the cruddy audio I have now with my Unidens. :)

I pray. I pray. That the G5 will be supported with alphatags in the feed someday.

rogress

The speaker is off when you plug into the audio port. If I want to listing to it directly (not through the feed), I listen through the speakers that are plugged in to the computer which provided my feed.

I'm getting ready to throw my G5 on my feed (just waiting for the base to arrive). Question, with your base pumping audio into the feed, can you still use that front speaker too? Or, if you have the audio cable plugged in, does it disable the front speaker? I like to listen in live sometimes rather than through the feed and it would be nice if I had the option to just turn on that speaker.

I'm worried about that thump noise but.. a little bit of thumping is far better than the cruddy audio I have now with my Unidens. :)

I pray. I pray. That the G5 will be supported with alphatags in the feed someday.

mdsxfire

EDBM

Just have to say listening to the feed it sounds great! The “thump” sounds more like a conventional repeater kicking off and isn’t bad at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaveJam

Feed Provider
I bought it a long time ago at Radio Shack, but I notice you can still find them on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/i/381576852764?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I just ordered that cable. Hoping it helps some. I just put my G5 online and I'm getting that popping noise. Is this what yours sounded like before that cable?

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9809/web

The popping is louder when listening from a mobile device. Ugh! This sucks. The simulcast prob is finally gone, now a new problem to face. :-(

rogress

Yes, that attenuation cable will help. It lets you turn the volume way up on the base/charger. Fortunately, the level of the thump stays the same as you turn the volume up on the base which seems to minimize the effect of the thump.

Someone said in another Unication thread that the amp doesn't kick in until it detects audio, which is what causes that thump. If we could tap in to a regular line out from the radio, bypassing the amp, I think this would work much better.

I just ordered that cable. Hoping it helps some. I just put my G5 online and I'm getting that popping noise. Is this what yours sounded like before that cable?

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9809/web

The popping is louder when listening from a mobile device. Ugh! This sucks. The simulcast prob is finally gone, now a new problem to face. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.