EMS HEAR 220 in Weschester county

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Hi all,

I'm located in Northern Weschester county (Somers to be exact), i have the EMS HEAR 220 (155.2200 MHz) Chanel programmed in to my scanner, when i'm listening in to that Chanel/frequency i hear the EMS/Fire Dispatch (155.2200 MHz) from Ulster county.

How could this be? Anyone have any ideas?
I can listen to some of my neighboring county frequency's (Putnam, Rockland, Fairfield county in CT). But Ulster county???

Thanks,
Nickthequick0

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're only 30 miles from Ulster County, which is a stone's throw for VHF.

They transmit from several locations in Ulster on 155.220, including a site in Dutchess, as well as some sites at a pretty good elevation.

Not surprising at all that you can pick them up.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Also the hear channel in Westchester is not used for hospital communication anymore.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Ulster KUQ874 has been used for Ems going on decades.....now as i recall they dispatch all EMS and Fire...Used to be fun back in the day to share air space with them from a School bus..back in the day when PS was a license code....Columbia Schoharie and Ulster Used it at one time. Sometimes at the same time......Columbia's PL was so close it would open our radios...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Ulster KUQ874 has been used for Ems going on decades.....now as i recall they dispatch all EMS and Fire...Used to be fun back in the day to share air space with them from a School bus..back in the day when PS was a license code....Columbia Schoharie and Ulster Used it at one time. Sometimes at the same time......Columbia's PL was so close it would open our radios...

Funny you should mention the school busses. I hear school busses on 155.280 which is used by Ulster, and Dutchess to page the hospitals.

Also when Alamo Ambulance was around, they held a license for 155.220 as well. Mainly used when they would send ambulances, and ambulettes on inter-facility transports, and as a rig to rig channel.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Yup there was a bunch of shared 155.xxx back in the day. I'll assume some still have it as back up. I used to hear Alamo thru the radio off hook depending on where i was up in the hills. The Motorola Mitrek i had could hear things real well...

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
155.220 is one of the "NYMED" channels
It can be used by pretty much any EMS company in New York as a interop type channel and whatnot
http://www.dhses.ny.gov/oiec/plans-policies-guidelines/documents/EMS-Naming-Guideline.pdf

westchester now uses the trunk system for ems communicatons to hospitals

Also the hear channel in Westchester is not used for hospital communication anymore.

If the "EMS 220, 280,340,400" are NYMED channels and not hospital communications anymore why are they still listed as a HEAR channels on the Weschester database?

Also what are the Med A,B,C,D Chanel's for?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If the "EMS 220, 280,340,400" are NYMED channels and not hospital communications anymore why are they still listed as a HEAR channels on the Weschester database?

Just to clarify...while those frequencies are designated NYMEDxxx by the state when using 156.7 PL on transmit, they can absolutely still be used for other purposes such as EMS dispatch, HEAR, etc. throughout the state. NYS has no control over the licensing and usage of those frequencies, they can only suggest a common usage plan. In fact, 340 and 400 are still widely used as HEAR channels, and that's not likely to change. 155.220 is a very popular EMS Dispatch channel in NYS, as well as being used by a number of school bus operators.

NYS Common/Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The reason 220, 280, 340, and 400 were never removed from Westchester as HEAR channels is because no one ever confirmed that they are no longer in use and made a submission requesting they be deleted. If no one speaks up, they will remain forever.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Just to clarify...while those frequencies are designated NYMEDxxx by the state when using 156.7 PL on transmit, they can absolutely still be used for other purposes such as EMS dispatch, HEAR, etc. throughout the state. NYS has no control over the licensing and usage of those frequencies, they can only suggest a common usage plan. In fact, 340 and 400 are still widely used as HEAR channels, and that's not likely to change. 155.220 is a very popular EMS Dispatch channel in NYS, as well as being used by a number of school bus operators.

NYS Common/Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The reason 220, 280, 340, and 400 were never removed from Westchester as HEAR channels is because no one ever confirmed that they are no longer in use and made a submission requesting they be deleted. If no one speaks up, they will remain forever.

Ok thanks for the info.

What about the MED A,B,C,D channels?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
The Westchester med a b c d channels are new.
The Westchester hear channels are still there and able to be used. Think I sent in New PL tones at some point. They are not used for hospital notification but they are still valid channels.

KC2zZe

To expand on this point a little further, the ED at New York-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital, in Cortlandt, is utilized by some Orange and Putnam County based emergency medical services. Since Westchester County did not provide out-of-county corps with trunked radios, my understanding is that NY-PHVH still maintains access via 155.2200 for HEAR purposes with the out-of-county corps that use their ED (not that it really matters.. I understand from most techs and medics in that corner of the county that the vast majority of inbound notifications are made by wireless phone, regardless of whether or not the rig is equipped with a trunked radio or a conventional VHF-high band radio).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.