City of Hartford EDACS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I'm in Canton, about 15 miles from Hartford. I haven't heard anything from the City of Hartford EDACS system on my Uniden 536. I was assuming that the signal wasn't strong enough to reach me, since i'm in an apartment using a telescoping whip antenna. But i just discovered that the system doesn't appear to be in the full database on my 536. I'm using a range of 30 miles, and i have a recent database update from Radio Reference. Any help would be appreciated.

George

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Try re-downloading the system. I heard it fine in simsbury on portable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Try redownloading the system. Double check that the talk groups are correct. I can here them fine on my portable scanner in simsbury inside a building at full 5 bars

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Its hit or miss. The coverage is concentrated for the city area. When I lived nearby, the signal would come and go depending on conditions.

As they say, your milage will vary.

If you are not already, adding an external (aka roof antenna) and good antenna cable may help you out. If its sitting on a desk inside the house, you loose a lot at the higher freq's.

If mobile, use a good quality multiband/scanner antenna.

The guys at Lentini's in Berlin can help you out.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Hear it just fine in Wethersfield but sometimes they decide to switch to a fire ground freq. You can always monitor the Vhf 154.3100

MFCJR

Canton may be a bit too far. I'm on the New Britain/Newington line and like PJH says it can be hit or miss, even at my location. The fire comes in strong on 154.310.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everybody, but i don't think it's a distance/antenna problem. The City of Hartford system isn't showing up in the full database on my 536, or my 436, even though it is showing on the RadioReference database webpage. And I have installed the recent database updates.

Is anybody able to hear City of Hartford on a Uniden 536 or 436? Thanks.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
You will need to increase you "range" setting in the scanner. The system is ranged for the city limits. If your location is well outside of those limits it will not be loaded.

Updating the x36 scanners is also a two step process. First "update database". When that is done then you must "write to scanner".

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, PJH. I have the range set to 30 miles, which is certainly farther than the distance from Canton to Hartford. And i have been doing the "write to scanner".

Shouldn't the full database on the Uniden 536 include everything in CT, regardless of my zipcode?

MFCJR

I have Hartford on my Uniden 536. You should be getting the whole Hartford system and not just part of it. I would make up a favorites list with just Hartford. That way there is no need to set any range. If you don't hear anything take a drive with the scanner towards Hartford. If you start picking them up as you get close you will know your location is out of range. I'm not too far from Hartford and they are not very strong at my location. As for the full database it should include everything in CT and beyond.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It is in the download. I just verified it in my latest one. You should be able to view it in Sentinal and figure out if you Avoided it or need to change a setting.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I never use the Zip Code mode. Favorite lists are the way to go.

chris

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Update: (i'm the original poster)

I also have a Uniden 436, that wasn't showing the City of Hartford system in the full database, when set to the Canton zip code and a range of 30 miles. I tried running the Auto Locate function, and now Hartford appears in the full database. The scanner isn't picking up audio on any of the talk groups, but i assume that's a distance/antenna issue.

I've had the 436/536 for 3 years, and never tried Auto Locate before.

ansky

I used to live in Farmington on the Bristol line and never was able to pick up the Hartford EDACS. Unless you are in a high elevation I doubt you can pick them up from Canton. I suppose you could try an outdoor antenna.

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
I carry my 436 with me and can pick them up In Canton and all the way to Torrington...no issues. Make sure you have all the services checked in scanner if you program from the menu lists.

bobmich52

I have been following this thread & here is my 2 cents on Hartford Etc

I live about 15 miles between Hartford & UConn campus

I have a 436 & HP 2

No reception 4 either inside my house

Outside My 436 picks up Hartford fine, No UConn @ all

Mobile, Antenna is a nmo 150/450/800, My HP 2 picks up Hartford Great, Even in Coventry going into the 31/44 split, After that, Nothing for Hartford, But you have 2 be practically on campus to hear UConn

Would like 2 get a good base antenna so I could hear both of them inside, But I live near a lake & Lightning would be a concern, Mother nature makes her presence known around here lol

Its all in the system & location/ location/location

SCPD

QRT
Just listen on 154.310. You hear dispatch and tac channels. For anyone interested, HFDs alert tones are 524.6, 378.6

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Which UConn are you speaking off? I can hear UConn Farmington (very well from home and on the road) and UConn Storrs (on my mobile radio in my room when I drop the PL, it's the same frequency as my FD, just a different PL)

The VHF Hartford frequency is good to listen to but everyone who doesn't know, the dispatch talk group has priority so you will hear the incident channels but once dispatch keys up, you will not hear both.

**To the original poster**

If you are able to, definitely look into an outside antenna. It is truly a great asset as long as you have good cable and good connectors.

Outside My 436 picks up Hartford fine, No UConn @ all

But you have 2 be practically on campus to hear UConn

Would like 2 get a good base antenna so I could hear both of them inside, But I live near a lake & Lightning would be a concern, Mother nature makes her presence known around here lol

bobmich52

SVFC

Sorry about that, I thought folks would get the Idea when I used the 31/44 split in Coventry reference

UConn Storrs it is

154.31 is in all of my fav lists to stay aware of Hartford, Not as busy as HPD

As 2 htfd Edacs, Both HPD & HFD, I keep them in a separate Favs list cuz HPD was basically non stop & since I travel to/from Winsor 384/291/91 everyday & CSP etc is more useful

If something hot goes down in HTFD Its a tap or 2 to listen, & @ times HPD is a Good listen to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.