Digital Scanning Dayton,Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues scanning The City of Dayton, but can scan Montgomery County excellent, Dayton operates on 850's freq's & Montgomery on 774's freq's. I bought a Yagi antenna, that didn't help @ 35' high. Is it possible that higher isn't better, but when I put it lower appears I'm getting reflective signals. Any help would be appreciated. Scanning w/ PSR 500 & Pro106

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues scanning The City of Dayton, but can scan Montgomery County excellent, Dayton operates on 850's freq's & Montgomery on 774's freq's. I bought a Yagi antenna, that didn't help @ 35' high. Is it possible that higher isn't better, but when I put it lower appears I'm getting reflective signals. Any help would be appreciated. Scanning w/ PSR 500 & Pro106

Actually all are using the Montgomery County Simulcast site there is no City of Dayton system anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
Ok, kinda thought that, would you know what tower they're using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
They are using the Montgomery County simulcast site which is made up of 10 towers

budevans

Actually all are using the Montgomery County Simulcast site there is no City of Dayton system anymore.

n8dhw the City of Dayton site is still listed in the MARCS-IP Database. If you are certain that it's been shut down, you should consider doing a submission.

Regarding the Montgomery Site, as n8dhw posted it's a Simulcast Site. So all of the towers act as one site. They use the exact same frequencies and carry the exact same traffic.

Click on the link that Nasby posted. Receiving the same transmission from multiple towers (Simulcast) causes problems for most scanners.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I was referring to the City of Dayton's old analog Smart net system which was turned off when the moved to MARCS. The 700mhz site has nothing to do with the City of Dayton with the exception of being located in Dayton.

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
Ok, thanks everyone. Now I gotta figure out which tower to point my yagi to.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
n8dhw the City of Dayton site is still listed in the MARCS-IP Database. If you are certain that it's been shut down, you should consider doing a submission.

Regarding the Montgomery Site, as n8dhw posted it's a Simulcast Site. So all of the towers act as one site. They use the exact same frequencies and carry the exact same traffic.

Click on the link that Nasby posted. Receiving the same transmission from multiple towers (Simulcast) causes problems for most scanners.

The City of Dayton system was Deprecated in the database back on December 5, 2016 (I'm the one who deprecated it). It will only show up if someone has it on their "My Trunked Systems" list or has it bookmarked. It should not display on a normal search of the database.

Mark
N8ICW
Database Administrator / Moderator

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin

The RDC (Regional Dispatch Center) in Miamisburg now dispatches for the City of Dayton.

Mark
N8ICW

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
All of Dayton and all of Montgomery County now use the statewide Ohio MARCS-IP system. You simply download the Dayton talkgroups you want from that system. You program the control frequencies from the Montgomery County site. The Dayton site located on Guthrie Road on the west side mainly serves Dayton Correctional Institution (DCI), and occasionally allows some other agencies to affiliate, you won't really miss anything unless you like listening to prison ops.

Mark
N8ICW

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input guys, I think all my problems was simulcast, I lowered my antenna & wha-la, scanning like a pro now. Antenna only about 10' off the ground now.

wsubsom

Dayton police

I have a Uniden Home Patrol 2 with the latest database from radioreference. I see the Dayton talkgroups in MARCS-IP, but I rarely hear anything from Dayton. When I do hear something, it is often broken up or distorted. I actually live in the city of Dayton on the physically highest point. I hear everyone else listed for Montgomery County perfectly (and all the surrounding counties), but not Dayton PD. Am I doing something wrong? Is my scanner broken?

Any help will be appreciated.

David, NY1A

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
David, are you programming in by zip code? I'm not real familiar with home patrol except what I've read .

A Word About HomePatrol‐II Profiles
When you entered your zip code the first time, you began creating your first HomePatrol‐II profile. A
profile contains settings like your location and associated transmissions from the database, Favorites
Lists, and Avoids, etc. You automatically develop a profile as you monitor transmissions and save some
to Favorites Lists, avoid others, and adjust how HomePatrol‐II receives and plays them.

You might need to enter a different zip code like Miamisburg since that's where dispatch is.

Last edited:

wsubsom

I have tried both ZIP code and city/state. My HP2 has the extreme upgrade, so I have been running the trunking discovery mode on the Dayton site in Ohio MARCS-IP. I receive many things, but NOTHING from Dayton PD. Nothing.

When scanning using the full database on MARCS-IP, I get lots of traffic from Montgomery County sheriff, CareFlight, OSP, and others, but NOTHING from Dayton PD. Very disappointing, as I purchased this monitor specifically to hear Dayton PD.

au1344

Premium Subscriber
I have tried both ZIP code and city/state. My HP2 has the extreme upgrade, so I have been running the trunking discovery mode on the Dayton site in Ohio MARCS-IP. I receive many things, but NOTHING from Dayton PD. Nothing.

When scanning using the full database on MARCS-IP, I get lots of traffic from Montgomery County sheriff, CareFlight, OSP, and others, but NOTHING from Dayton PD. Very disappointing, as I purchased this monitor specifically to hear Dayton PD.

The Dayton site (1-05) will not have Dayton pd. Instead you will want the Montgomery county site (4-03).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

wsubsom

Yep. Figured that out myself finally. I think I have finally determined what my problem is. I live on the highest point in the City of Dayton. My site is so good that I can clearly receive all the counties around me with just the antenna that came with the HP2. Those counties are all crystal clear on digital, but Montgomery County (where I live and where Dayton is) ultra-sucks. I think the problem is that my site is TOO good, and I am getting hammered with multipath interference. I have tried arranging various metal reflectors around the monitor in various positions, and with the right arrangement Dayton is crystal clear.

Of course, I can't leave all this crap arranged on the end table (wife would kill me), so I am exploring various other solutions. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever tried it without the antenna, give it a try it might work since you have such a good signal area

wsubsom

Tried that. Works but not dependably. I guess I'll try a yagi in the basement. Maybe the directivity combined with the (presumably) lower signal levels will do the trick...

Status
Not open for further replies.